Push 3 Users Thread

Yeah your case is def more brutal than mine. I was getting much quicker response turnarounds over the past couple of days so I’m hoping they’re over the jump and can get you sorted out asap.

Glad I can keep mine (for now) and just crack on with it over DC for now. I haven’t really used it much since getting it because of the usb hub thing and not knowing whether it’s coming or going.

I’ve done more bend strip testing since my last post on the subject, and the results were inconsistent in a way that points to hardware rather than software.

eg I got it to go wrong today by switching on the device in standalone mode and then not touching anything at all, within 10 mins the problem appeared.

So by now, it seems like both QC issues and some (absent) functionality allow one to think that Push 3 was more or less rushed to the market. What makes me wonder, why? After 7.5 years it seems quite okay to give it another couple of months to polish issues (and those weren’t terribly hard to spot, judging by user reports). Hope there’s a wave of competitors’ (next-gen) products coming soon.

4 Likes

I did a bit of investigation and think there’s a good chance they’ll unify the codebase for P2 and P3. There might be some stuff that remains P3 only but for example the clip launcher seems to have code to support running on P2, it is just not used yet

I can’t even think of any other manufacturer who would attempt to make a ‘stand-alone’ MPE focused DAW?

1 Like

Messages from Ableton are still ambiguous as to the touchstrip issue and how it will ultimately be resolved. I doubt I will gather any more solid clues via further testing. Although certain patterns point to a hardware issue, it is always possible that even if that is the case, they will be able to work round it in firmware. Or maybe not, will just have to wait and see.

I did have a go at seeing whether any of the sysex commands to change touchstrip configuration (these are the same on Push 3 as they were for Push 2 which has documentation for this on github) could get the touchstrip to behave normally again once the problem had begun. Nothing I tried made any difference.

I suppose I will do one final sort of test, whether the problem is ever triggered in controller mode if I dont even run Ableton Live when in that mode. But it might take me days to reach a conclusion via this test, because it seems like my unit might be much less likely to suffer the issue once its been on for ages.

1 Like

Hmm, what gets me most is. 7 years, very expensive and they haven‘t even change all that much. Still those QC Problems? I wanted one but I am still on the fence if the price is ok given the problems. And maybe one should wait till they sorted their stuff…

I ordered one a few days ago (controller only, for now). I wanted to at least get on the order list. They said it would be “8+ weeks” before more were available. I am watching @SteveElbows and others to see whether these things get fixed. I am hopeful that my unit will be in a second or third batch, and in the meantime, also maybe a few firmware revisions. I may cancel my order if things still seem problematic in a couple of months.

1 Like

I think we better can call ourselves ‘Push 3 Beta Users Thread’…

8 Likes

typical forum pattern after a launch of a new product:

Early adopter nowadays: Early exitement, early dissillusion, early disappointment, early anger, later hopefully friendship

Late adopter: No exitement, less talks, but hopefully “matured” HW/FW/SW and friendship

5 Likes

Oooh noo… Oh wow.

So if you need to update a Max for Live device you’ll need to go through every single project and copy over the existing version. :face_with_thermometer:

1 Like

I guess I am the outlier here and will serve as a counterbalance.

Does Push 3 have issues? Yes. Did they release it too early? Looks like it.

But on the other hand, I love mine. A lot. I have definitely experienced some bugs and issues that I have reported to Ableton, but it is great. I took it over to a friend’s house last night with a guitarist and a bassist and it was lovely to use as an instrument to play with others. For a Live user, it is an amazing addition. As a controller it is perfect for Live; as standalone, it is one of the most powerful “groove boxes” I have ever used.

I’ve been able to reduce my music making set up to my laptop and Push 3. And that makes me very happy. :smiley:

17 Likes

Definitely true in many cases and there are obviously bugs, but overall I am still totally blown away by the standalone, it utterly captivates me…no buyer remorse, only excitement for the future development.

11 Likes

Great, then you 've jumped to the friendship phase right away!

There’s speculation elsewhere that the Push 2 will indeed get a bunch of 3 features due to some of the Python code being shared.

If I didn’t have the touchstrip issue I’d agree with this. Once that takes hold you can only reboot, and sometimes I’m rebooting several times in an hour. That kills enthusiasm fast.

3 Likes

Of course, which is why I prefaced what I said by indicating that I seem to be an outlier, since I have not experienced some of the severe issues that others have.

1 Like

I’m not disagreeing with you, quite the opposite. It’s a wonderful instrument. I’m just, you know, one of the frustrated percentage. I’m really pleased you’re able to enjoy it in the way it was intended!

1 Like

I hope they take care of you and all of the early adopters that are having issues. It’s really strange to me that they would risk the hit their image/branding is taking by releasing the device too early. There are some really “dumb” things that they didn’t fix before release (like the Packs deletion/redownloading issue).

Tone is hard to convey over the tubes, so know that I did not take it as disagreement. I also don’t want to appear like I’m crowing over having a basically fully functional unit.

:beers:

4 Likes

People on here are the best, truly.

5 Likes