Push 3 Users Thread

Ah, looks like a German company. Not showing up in Amazon US.

I look forward to buying Push 3 Standalone in a year or two when it’s been bug tested, updated and is available for a better price second hand. :smiley:

Thank you to all the hard-ass pioneers who have taken one for the team. :smiley:

8 Likes

Hey I’m happy. Bugs and all

2 Likes

Im still happy to have it, its already super useable, its an awesome thing. Im looking forward to some bug fixes and new features but as it stands, its worth having.

2 Likes

Still trying to work out exactly the best way to use this in my set up, but I can report that I’ve personally had no bugs or issues with my device since the initial “error loading set” on first boot. Perhaps I’m one of the lucky ones.

Some holdover frustrations from Push 2 are still there though, and kinda worse since there’s the idea to run Live directly on the thing: some devices (like Wavetable) are beautifully mapped to the Push’s controls and it’s a dream to use them with added MPE; others are frustratingly half-implemented to an extent that is hard to comprehend. Want to use MPE on Simpler? Convert it to a Sampler, set up the MPE controls and then convert it back to a Simpler - OK, sounds pretty annoying… but you can’t even convert Simpler to Sampler on Push (as far as I can tell), and even if you could the place where you set MPE controls on Sampler is not accessible to Push.

This is related to my other frustration: no proper manual for Push. Well there is one, which has helpful sections like “how to make beats”, but no documentation whatsoever on how devices work (or don’t work) on the machine. I guess the idea is the Live manual is enough, but it doesn’t really work when the functionality of devices can be radically different when you’re running Live on Push, and I kinda get the impression the lack of a detailed manual is to skirt around the fact the Push ecosystem has always only got about half way there with the stock devices. It’s made a lot of my first week with it frustrating trial and error: working out if I’m just too dumb to see where a particular control is or if it’s just not accessible at all, especially re: MPE control of things.

I do like the thing a fair bit, especially in the fully implemented parts: drum racks, sequencer, a decent amount of the soft synths/effects (Operator is still a mess on there though). I don’t think it’s quite in the place I’d like it to be as a hardware box of Ableton devices though (which would be enough for me, don’t really intend to go full DAW in a box with it). Might get relegated to being a pure MPE controller for Bitwig/Hydrasynth/GR-1, with Ableton running on it to give me nice folded scales etc, till other stuff gets sorted.

10 Likes

Thanks…sounds promising, as there are Push 2s for $300 out in the wild.

1 Like

I suspect after the initial dump they will go back up again, P2 is still a great controller and may even get few new features of the pack of 3…

3 Likes

I’ve also gotten an email saying “You will soon receive payment instructions in a separate email. Payment will be due within 7 days. “. And that was it… this email was received 06:00, on Tuesday and I’m still waiting for that email . I have also chosen to not pay with Creditcard but through a PayPal alternative (klarna) in the country that I am living in. I will report back if this moves. When did you get your email?

1 Like

Tuesday at 1 AM, so well over 48 hours ago.

1 Like

I am also paying with Klarna and got my email Tues morning at 7am. No follow up payment email since then.

Ok I sent them a message trough their support channel, and now it’s just to wait (un)patiently :sweat_smile:

I completed my final touch strip glitch test by managing to get it to go wrong when booting in controller mode but with the computer not running Live at all.

1 Like

I’ve been waiting days since my support email to get any response.

Have to say, their support is making me hesitant to follow through with the order if there are any issues once it arrives. This has all been handled poorly.

2 Likes

Has anyone been able to compare a Linnstrument and a Push 3?

1 Like

I feel you. We should all get some news from them or, even better, the email with payment details so that they can take our money :slightly_smiling_face:

What would you like to know?

1 Like

Push 3 is the only MPE controller I’ve ever tested.

• Is the pad sensitivity comparable between a Linnstrument and a Push 3?
  • Is the Linnstrument able to define “dead zones” like on the Push 3, where you’re sure to be in tune?
  • Can you configure the Linnstrument (like the Push3) to be in tune where the finger lands (finger mode) or to be in tune only if the finger lands in the middle of a pad? (pad mode)

Would be my main questions so far.

I like the Push3 a lot and I’m pretty sold on MPE, but I find it has shortcomings (mainly software) so I’m hesitating between:

• Keeping my standalone Push3 (which works perfectly btw, even if I haven’t tested the pitch strip too much tho)
  • Sending back the standalone Push3 and ordering a Push3 controller
  • Ordering another MPE controller and the Linnstrument seems the only serious match

I like the feel of the Push 3 pads better than the Linnstrument. Being larger you have more control over the Y-Axis (vertical).

The Linnstrument has the advantage of more pads and the ability to cover more area (stretch) due to smaller pads.

The Linnstrument does allow you to control how it reacts to initial strike. Like the Push it can be set to be in tune where you strike or be more absolute.

I don’t think I would part with either. It is also cool that you can plug the Linnstrument into the Push host port and play instruments with both playing surfaces simultaneously!

5 Likes

I have the same general question (comparing Linnstrument to Push 3). I have a Linnstrument, and have ordered a Push 3. I can say (correct me if I am wrong), there is no way to to set it up so that it lands in tune only if you hit the middle of the pad. This is because the pads on the Linnstrument are specifically designed to be the size of your finger (considerably smaller than the Push 3). Roger Linn has even talked about this as an advantage/difference with the Linnstrument over the Push 3.

From Roger Linn: “The 2023 Push and LinnStrument cater to different types of musicians. The new Push has 64 pads of larger size, arranged in an 8 by 8 matrix, so it’s more focused on Live’s primary market of clip launchers, beatmakers, sequencing/looping, and simple musical play. By comparison, LinnStrument is more focused on being a quality expressive musical instrument with a large playing surface of either 128 or 200 pads. LinnStrument’s larger number of pads means that you won’t frequently bump into the edges of the playing surface during chord or solo play. And the smaller pads— the same spacing as human fingers— permit fingering of more complex chords in one hand, as well as easier and faster play of solo lines.” Roger Linn FAQ Page

My question to be added to the questions raised by @Normalogic is how specifically does pressure sensitivity compare on the Linnstrument to Push 3. I guess I am also wondering (assuming) that, like the Linnstrument, the default setting for the x (horizontal) axis is pitch bend, but can you also change this to modify other parameters (not a big fan of pitch bends in my playing)?

3 Likes

I will also add that Roger Linn is a first class person. I don’t worry about future support as Roger has released the firmware source code so the device can have community support in the future if necessary.

Also the build quality of the Linnstrument is excellent.

3 Likes