Overbridge, who's happy?

I liked the idea of Overbridge. Multichannel, latency corrected analog audio through one single USB connection, wow!
When I bought an Analog Rytm and tried to make it work in Logic I lost a week yelling and screaming in frustration.

Maybe I will try it at some point again, but for now Overbridge triggers a compulsive tourette-like exclamation about female body parts.

edit: I was wrong

1 Like

I never use OB. It caused waaaaaay too many crashes of Ableton, and I found my preferred method just running the hardware into an interface. No crashes.

That is patently false, and incendiary.

From the latest release notes. Iā€™ll put into bold the words that are important.

Change: Improved support for Logic Pro X host (version 10.2.4 or higher recommended). Donā€™t
forget to re-scan all the Overbridge plugins if upgrading from a previous installation.

Change: Improved compatibility with Renoise host.
Change: Improved compatibility with Bitwig Studio host

No where has :3lektron: stated full compatibility in all modern DAWs.

I donā€™t even know where to start, with that remark.

5 Likes

Have a look round this forum, see if you can get any help with the specific problems you are having - people are really helpful. Donā€™t just stand there and scream, it looks ridiculous.

1 Like

mac users should flame (cr)apple for coming up with a new OS every six months instead of Elektron which is trying to bridging the gap between soft and hardware.

I really like OB. No issues and works as advertised on my system.

3 Likes

I gave up on OB a few months ago as the plugin caused kernel panics on my MPB 2010 Dual Core.
Ordered a new 15 inch MPB 2016 and hope to use finally use OB as it was a big selling point over other synths for me.

1 Like

it is useful for me for fine tuning and recording multiple outs.

What worries me is the maintenance costs down the line with the MacOS yearly updates ( I am on windows but I am sure this will increase development costs).

1 Like

Fairly happy. AR user.

Never experienced any stability issues here.

Sync seems very dodgy to me, on my system. Iā€™ve grumbled about that before but it might be more of an Ableton issue. I canā€™t ever seem to pinpoint it and Iā€™m always changing things around - AR to sofa, AR to mixer and pedals, AR to USB/OB/iMac. All I know is, itā€™s a bit trickier than I would have thought.

I honestly donā€™t use the plugin that much outside of sync, and assigning max4live LFOs. I donā€™t find setting up performance options that bad on the hardware - on the AR at least.

I do need to try Total Recall. I feel that might make me a bit more excited about OB.

1 Like

You are right. I really thought I have read that on their website, but I was wrong. I have edited my original statement. Sorry.

I am a man of passion.

1 Like

Every time this sort of thread has come up my reply has been the same: overbridge is absolutely amazing. Game changing workflow wise. I canā€™t believe how much itā€™s helped my songwriting flow. The GUI is beautiful and everything works perfectly for me. Sync is dead fucking on. I have ZERO complaints.

I feel emphatic in this because the opposite opinion is espoused widely around here which seems to result in a groupthink mentality that the software is buggy and unreliable. But then when you dig in a bitā€¦it appears that many of the critcisms come from users who either havenā€™t even tried the software, or tried a few times and gave up. I had troubles at first too - my bug reports quickly revealed that the OS I was running (10.7.5 I think it was) wouldnā€™t ever work well with OB. Instead of bitching about elektron, I sold my computer and invested in a Mac optimized for the purpose. I wanted it to work and was willing to do what was advised to make it happen.

I realize that this isnā€™t always easy or possible. But I think about it in pragmatic terms. You want it and think itā€™ll help your workflow? Take steps to help yourself. Sick of it not working in Logic? Download ableton intro for free and give it a whirl. Donā€™t think itā€™ll help you much? Skip the free software option.

But bitching about it and how elektron has gone down the wrong pathā€¦whatā€™s even the point of that?

8 Likes

100% agree

1 Like

It has to be said that Elektron are probably through the worst with OB. They have no doubt learned a tonne, and realistically the time from Heat release to fully functional AH plugin was dramatically shorter than what AR or A4 users had to wait. Who knows a future hardware release may come with its OB counterpart straight out of the box as that gap shortens, they probably have systems in place now that help them streamline the process at every step of the way.

Also in regards to functionality, Iā€™ve found thereā€™s a specific way to run OB which greatly helps in system stability. My understanding is that, itā€™s necessary to properly exit an OB session rather than simply put your computer to sleep or turn off your device mid session. For example, if youā€™re done, save and close the Ableton session before turning off your Elektron machine. Otherwise, there appears to be system wide conflicts necessitating a reboot. Likewise, sleep functionality mid-session is ill-advised, best to either leave the setup running, or shut it down altogether. Then you can shut down your Elektron box. I often hastily shut down the Elektron box with Ableton and everything still open, seems to be a no-no in my experience, best to shut the machine down last.

5 Likes

Totally.

1 Like

I like the promise of overbridge, but am one of the unlucky ones who cannot coax a stable, crackle-free performance out of it.

I initially invested into an AR because I knew that Iā€™d be able to multitrack it via overbridge. Since this has proved to be unsatisfactory (with my system), I am now multitracking via a soundcraft 12MTK.

I am quite hopeful overbridge will eventually mature into a beautiful system, where we can truly bridge the gap between ITB and standalone operation. All it takes is a lil more stability and the ability to manage both samples and sequencer patterns via the DAW.

But yeh, still not going to update my shiny new AH in the fear of bricking itā€¦ Iā€™ll wait for ob 1.15.1 lol

EDIT: ended updating to 1.15 after all, and got everything working after some futzing around (osx upgrade did it for me)

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Overbridge not working with overhub

Or, in this case, a man of melodrama.

:elan: :elan:

Big Brother is in the house

1 Like

I agree with you! Last night I did the process of upgrading the AH, A4 and AR. I had zero issues, installing OB was smooth, after rebooting the systems (PC and devices) I was able to use the plugin with no issues. Sync works perfectly, and to be honest: the visual feedback on whatā€™s happening in the AH is gold, seeing whatā€™s is happening with the triggers, envelopes and lfoā€™s is very helpful in understanding what the device is doing, improving my ability to operate it. Iā€™m not a mac users, but my windows 10 laptop works and my windows 8 desktop also.

3 Likes

^ Oi Stop stealing my couplets!! ^

Iā€™ll let you off this once :punch: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s a fair cop

I consciously ā€˜borrowedā€™ the imagery, but evidently, subliminally also remembered the good gag :thup:

so in the interest of fairness, we can do a reverse role swap where youā€™re on the keys borrowing my style ā€¦ dā€™ya think you could manage to write something non-controversial tho ? :wink: