Overbridge, who's happy?

ill try my best :raised_hand:

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Inappropriate

MAJOR HAPPY HERE.

Just did the scary update of all my devices (A4, RYTM, Heat) and it went to plan.
I’ve had a few crackles, which I seem to have resolved with buffer size changes and focus on real apps.

Spent the last three hours rinsing the beasts with no issues at all. For me, i’m declaring stable.

First Overbridge experiences weren’t great, but 1.0 fixed a lot, and this (1.15) seems better.

2 Likes

So, switch from Logic that you’ve taken years to master because Overbridge doesn’t work properly in Logic even though Elektron has “advised” it does. The point to many is that its being advertised as compatible with Logic, even though countless people are experiencing problems.

Yeah I’ve yet to form an overall opinion on OB but don’t agree with anyone saying ‘switch daw’ to people with problems. If Elektron themselves took that stance officially it would be pretty arrogant…

That’s what I do but still experience major “system conflicts” so I don’t agree with that!

I see a lot of fanboy talk about Overbridge :smiley: First i respect Elektron’s choice for going on this technology.

But personally:

First OB it doesn’t meet my sound quality demands. Even when i don’t care about sound quality in jam sessions Overbridge would not be slave to external sources.
Second the people who inspire me use some Elektron machine’s but i never saw one using Overbridge. It says not much by itself but for me it’s a mutual feeling.
For a mainstream example did you ever saw a great tutorial in Cuckoo style :wink:
Third it sounds like a DAW in the end. With the Analog machines the magic happens with analog summing.

By now i am moving slowly away from Elektron machines i had all of them but the workflow is to much the same screen encoder wise. So for me only the Sidstation, Analog Four & Rytm. And no interest in the Analog Heat because of Elysia Karakter.

My wish: stand alone hardware Overbridge mixer and a next generation Overbridge sampler

1 Like

Shortly after upgrading I had an instance were I was getting a lot of interference in Abelton when working with the AR and Overbridge. It would start to judder every 8 bars and followed by a bleep. I tried reloading Ableton and then rebooting my laptop, but problem still persisted. Turned out to be some glitch with the Ableton project that I’d saved, but reload an earlier instance corrected the error.
Its always worth saving early ideas with a different number after the name every time you progress slightly, as I tried everything to resolve the above problem, but nothing would work other than loading in a project instance that I had saved before the problem started.
So far since then, I have progressed quite a lot with the project without any such issues.

I seem to have lost my Transport controls after loading the new OB and A4 update. Everything else is fine for me, I just want my A4 to play when I press play in Ableton.

Post udate, transport worked fine :frowning:

just change the device settings in the sidebar, that gives you four options for sync, I have to delve in there to select Off to suit my purposes

3 Likes

Thank you long time x

2 Likes

I think it’s quite swell. I love being able to store my patch settings inside the sequence in my DAW.

In the future I would like to be able to control my AR/AR Chain and Song patterns inside OB.

Have people from Elektron adressed the issues?

The MX-1 has been proving to be a solid central hub with my hardware gear. I love my Roland MX-1. It’d be a tough sell for Elektron to make/sell enough units to make any profite … but the numbers are not in front of me. Wishful thinking though.

mmh… in general it worked fine in Ableton. Stil the latency is to big for my puporses and the sound quality is not in any way as good as my RME… having a “soundcard/DAW control” can be nice for some people that didnt invest in a lot of other gear.
But after trying it out 2 month, i decided to not use it… simply because the electron sequencer gives me all i need and i wanted to get away from the computer for composing…

i see the idea behind a lot of you saying elektron could invest more time in AR/A4/AK-OS when not dealing with OB… But to be honest… i love the OT and theworkflow it gives to me, so i dont need an update… it just has a big place in my setup already…
The AR is even better after they released the new machines… totally love what it does…

so… i am a fanboy of the elektron hardware/sequencer/sound… but OB is a (nice) gimmick that doesnt fit my workflow :-))… maybe its handy for super-indepth-sounddesign-folks… but with the sequencer i already have the depth insounddesign that i need.

If ob doesn’t meet your sound quality requirements, why on earth would you want an ob mixer?

I did a small A/B test comparing a multitrack recording of an AR loop with the soundcraft 12MTK and with overbridge. The differences were quite minor and I wouldn’t mind using either method for recording.

IMO the AR doesn’t add much in the way of mojo in terms of the circuitry itself. Heck, initially the AR sounded as stiff as a digital device to my ears, no slop nor drift etc! You have to program the mojo into the pattern by configuring the filters and overdrive, plock tunings and envelope modulations etc for “that sound” IME

Yeah but we can’t say 12 MTK is High End audio interface @tsutek… if you say you compare A/B test with Prism, Apogee, RME, Antelope … I would say ok but the specifications of Soundcraft MTK are quite the same as OB audio in the Elektron Device so… it’s logical your A/B test reveal only summing difference.

If so, I’d appreciate if someone made an A/B conversion test with a highend converter against overbridge. I am not doubting there is a difference, but would be interested in knowing what the exact difference is.

IMO RME conversion is not highend though… It’s on par with Apollo conversion or similar, which I don’t consider that high-end really. When I bought my Apollo, I expected a huge diff in converter quality, only to find that it is still some ways off from the class leading devices… And have since started questioning the converter difference quality aspects vs any other possible signal-degrading qualities in audio (acoustics, proper impedance bridging, proper grounding, fast enough electronics not to affect transient response, equipment self-noise and noise floors etc). Ok I understand that the filtering dircuitry on any converter is paramount to the overall performance, but so is digital clocking… Quite alot of variables. And everyone is talking about these all the time. But I rarely see any proper A/B’s done on the matter.

Plus, if overbridge sounds so much worse than top tier conversion, wouldn’t an overbridge mixer be a bad idea?

I guess High End Audio Interface is not only quality. it’s also on Fast Driver - Buffer audio… number of INS and OUTS… Choice of IO (Digital etc…) and also the high frequency and rate for recordings (96000 192000…)

To me Overbridge and MTK are only go to 24bits / 48000khz that’s a limit…

In terms of sound quality, latency or I/O is irrelevant. 96k/192k is not though, so there some gains could theoretically be made. I have very little experience wrt using rates above 48k for capturing audio, so I don’t know how much can be gained.