Overbridge, who's happy?

Never used it. Can see some Major advantages like separate outputs if you have an A4. I have an AK so the extra outputs don’t really interest me altho the onscreen editor looks handy. But could just as easily be a regular standalone editor for my purposes. But all I ever read about it is problems. Wonder how much it has slowed down progress with new hardware boxes getting designed/finished with the seemingly neverending attention Elektron have to give overbridge update/fixes. Is it really that necessary? Seems to me they should get the current stuff solid then consider to bail on the idea! Midi/modern VSTs/physical separate outputs was always fine for people in the past and for every other hardware company, just doesn’t seem worth all this ballache for them… Guess maybe I’m only noticing the ‘problem’ threads and not the ‘overbridge’ is amazing ones? Wondering how many people use overbridge totally problem free and love it?

I hate it. Without the OB develop time they could have done a lot of things. Like continue updating the OT, with new machines like granular o chromatics, or giving more machines or internal resampling or better sample management or MIDI Out to the AR, or MIDI Out, paraphony, better step record to the A4. But there are a lof of things that may be improved in the 3 boxes. I stick with my OT atm, I don’t see why I should purchase the AR or A4 yet. And I don’t talk about the AH :smiley:

9 Likes

I like it.
Slowly i start to use it for automation
Creation of clips
Good workflow from working without computer and jam and create, to work with computer and work out to song…
Nice to fat up sounds in ableton

Main problem, my computer starts to sound like a hoover when using it.

I was also happy without, no need for it but it is good for me to learn ableton anyway
But i think it is part of something bigger, like a 16 track studio/power mixer

I use it for parallel recording of A4 and AR.
Never had any trouble with this, works great.
I just regret it’s not possible to get all the tracks for AR, but I use AR separate outs to compensate.

I tried once to record automations in Live while turning AR knobs and it worked great. Pretty cool to identify sweet spots, edit and copy/paste.
Just not my workflow.

I havent upgraded to 1.15 yet, I updated to the previous version recently…

For me OB is a good thing and well done.
A facilitator when it comes to recording.
No stability pb with MBP late '11 + Live.

Yeah I can see how it has benefits like those but just seems like a ton of work for Elektron to keep up with operating system updates, daw updates, Elektron hardware updates that require overbridge updates etc. Guessing/hoping they have a dedicated overbridge division there so this stuff doesn’t totally interrupt/cripple other development on the table.
Things like separate outs could have just been on the hardware. Ak isnt much more expensive than A4 and has separate outputs + keyboard + more metal surface… So the outputs can’t be that expensive to add. A 16 track interface like Focusrite pro 40 + octopre isn’t expensive for people that are able to spend £700 on stuff like AH. The midi copy and paste thing you mention sounds useful. But unless I’m missing something the same could be done from a daw session via midi out from daw and recorded in to the box for standalone? I definitely see it’s uses but at the same time think it looks like a massive ongoing headache for Elektron and no other hardware company feels the need to offer similar software so Im not sure I see it as as worth the hassle. More physical outputs and standalone editors (like octaedit) seem like a way easier option. And I d way rather have physical outputs anyway to send to pedals and whatnot…
I can’t really knock it tho as haven’t tried it. Will get round to it one day…

2 Likes

I’m an OB sceptic and one of those who would have preferred they hadn’t bothered with it and spent those resources on something cool instead. But that is from a strictly egoistic point of view. I see that others like it a lot, so I guess overbridge is very useful for some ways of working.

I recently gave OB some half-assed tries on two separate DAWs and three computers, and I couldn’t get it working properly on any of them. So I just took that as confirmation that using OB would be the world of pain I was already biased to think it would be and left it at that. Perhaps just user error that a bit of tinkering would have solved. I can’t honestly say I gave it a fair shot.

2 Likes

Overbridge…

Its like Elektron as a company has taken a knock to the head and woke up after a while speaking a completely different language.

9 Likes

I’m not a fan either. The limitations make it pretty useless to me. I like to have a lot of stuff running together with midi clock. If I just had an A4 and no other external gear I’d probably use it but I get much tighter sync running external midi sync from my innerclock syncgen. My Octatrack, A4 and RYTM lock perfectly that way. Also it only seems to work with ableton as far as I can tell. I sometimes use reaper also and overbridge doesn’t work on there at all for me. The patch recall function is the only thing I find useful about it. The graphics are nice on the plug-ins but I don’t need them, I enjoy editing sounds in the box and have no problem with the little screens.

1 Like

Perhaps that is what has happened? Not literally, obviously. :slight_smile: But that some key decision maker(s) left the company and got replaced with people with a completely different design view? I find it very hard to imagine that the geniuses that made their gear up to and including the Octatrack then came up with their recent releases. If the change is good or bad is a matter of personal taste, I guess. But Elektron sure feels like a different company now…

2 Likes

I think this a bit over dramatic. They have consistently released new hardware. Look at the years mduw, mnm, OT, ar and a4 and ak were released. We are still on schedule regarding the release cycle of these devices. I would not be surprised if we see a new design (not OT2), possibly next year or 2018.

2 Likes

And before OB, I remember a lot of people were asking for such solution.
I also see it as a time-eater, but what has been done can’t be undone : I use it and it works pretty well in my case.
And it’s FREE !
This is something pretty awesome IMO.

I don’t know of another constructor that has tried to follow this plugin way so far, do you ?

Waldorf

meh.

the driver can take out USB/MIDI on my computer and it occasionally does. It’s the only piece of software on my computer which does these things and it doesn’t feel right. I would uninstall if I didn’t have to test it with SDS Drop.

The AR itself is far less stable in OB mode than in USB-MIDI mode. Crashes, unreliable sysex, you name it.

feel like they could have saved themselves from a ton of headaches if they had simply made the audio interface class compliant.

5 Likes

(I was talking about a VST/AU plugin that would control the hardware…)
I have to look for this !

Is that what you’re talking about @Rusty ?

I know, thats why I answered :wink:

Waldorf AFB-16

4 Likes

There’s maybe good reason for this tho? Seems like keeping software working across various systems/versions/daws etc is a heavy/resource consuming job even for a lot of the smaller ‘software only’ companies? Gotta have ‘some’ negative effect on hardware development at Elektron HQ? Time/money/resources/space/future hardware features design compatibility etc?

It’s a subjective thing and anyone using OB and digging it is totally valid to be behind it continuing. Seems to be pretty mixed bag of opinions/experiences from users.

Just seems like a bit of a murky/unnecessary mess/distraction from where im stood. I need to try it sometime tho, maybe in practise it’s enough of a game changer/workflow enhancer to soldier on with.

@Callofthevoid what is expressed here is the POV of people already owning at least one Elektron box and playing mostly OTB. Let’s call it “old target”.

Now I do believe there are many people out there with hybrid HW/SW config. Those people would be seduced by a company that pay attention to building bridges with their current configuration.

With AH, I fell like Elektron is now targeting both pure ITB people and “no-box” people (hey guitarists!).
Elektron is building bridges to seduce a broader audience than the core Elektron community.

Totally makes sense IMO, even if I would personally be thrilled at an Elektron MIXR…
:smiley:

6 Likes

Yeah I can definitely appreciate the sense behind OB from a marketing/business/target audience angle :slight_smile: Guess just of those things thats a godsend for some and totally un-required for others. Need to check it out some point and see where it/if it fits here :wink:

Great idea. I am having massive timing issues on several systems I tested. For audioproduction (not sounddesign etc) not useable. not relieable at all.

1 Like

Well, only for separate recordings it’s already a blessing.
So easy to get it right (at least in my case), I set it up quite fast now.
I often use the A4 as a sound card for other synths or Elektron oldies.

2 Likes