Overbridge, who's happy?

Also noticed that the Heat OB plugin already has most of the parameters pre-configured for automating in Ableton!

1 Like

The GUI is great for patch design. Really helped me understand my analog keys and rytm with a larger size screen to access all the parameters for sound design.

But I feel overbridge resulted in elektron shunting OT updates to the back burner. Which is a shame as I consider the OT to be Elektronā€™s true flagship product and it seems like it has been forgotten.

To be fair it is not their flagship product anymore and is, what, 7 years old now?

The Analog machines are their flagship products in conjunction with OB and although I donā€™t suspect the OT will go out of production in the immediate future but I shouldnā€™t imagine it will be too long.

1 Like

Thanks, which OS on your iMac?
This kind of info helps people who are on the hunt.

I donā€™t have a link at hand, but I seem to recall Elektron have made it clear that OT wonā€™t get feature updates anymore, just bug fixes.

1 Like

This should be an automated footnote in every Elektronauts.com post :wink:

1 Like

At the moment El Cap but I will be upgrading to Sierra in the coming days now that the OB update is here. Iā€™ll report back if that causes any issues.

I am pretty careful to only use the iMac only for music production. I try to keep it as clean as possible. Obviously itā€™s connected to the internet but thereā€™s not a lot else installed on there apart from Maschine, Reaktor, Ableton, Overbridge and the plugins I use.

I then have a Macbook I bog down with my itunes library and other day to day stuff.

1 Like

And there havenā€™t been any of those in a good long while despite there still being some bugs in the latest OS

I think OB is a very useful thing for AH. If Elektron hadnā€™t already this software yet they wouldnā€™t have any option but implementing it now.
Regarding other supported gears, I find USB recording useful (though it often not works and have annoying issues), and the OB sync a must have over MIDI sync. However Iā€™m not so interested in the VST feature. And I find it a big limitation that OB is supported properly only in Live.

Iā€™d use it if it would work with Logic. But so far all releases have been pretty much unusable there. Sync issues, latency etc. Also I do not like the OB kext, it writes to syslog and seems some kind of wrapper or something generated from driver SDK. I could be wrong though.

1 Like

The only bad thing I can find to say about OB is the relatively trivial issue that the GUI wonā€™t fit on one page without having to scroll sideways.

And if thatā€™s all I can find to criticise I guess Iā€™m pretty happy indeed.

Yes I saw that as well,

Of course in this day and age a 7 year old machine seems ancient but it begs the question, so what?

Some of the best live PA acts still use MPCs which are much, much older.

So if the analog machines are the ā€œflag shipā€ - why overbridge? Perhaps this point is now null as the AH (which I recently picked up) is a soundcard as well.

High end analog gear needs to be processed with a quality interface in order to preserve its sonic characteristics. You donā€™t see many ITB live acts hit the stage without a very expensive audio interface alongside them.

So I have high hopes for the heat as I generally avoided OB for recording as to my ears my qu PAC does a much better job of recording into ableton.

Iā€™m pretty happy with overbridge. It makes my workflow way more convenient. The latest update seem to solve all the problems I had previously (Analog Rytm freezing, Ableton crashing from time to time).

They use MPCs but MPCs are not supported by Akai anymore, are they?

I think you are perhaps forgetting just how unique a product Overbridge is. There is no one else in the game making analogue machines that integrate into a DAW environment in the way these do.

It is Elektronā€™s flagship because it is unique, innovative and exciting.

I love my Qu-PAC too, but unfortunately it doesnā€™t give me individual outs from the A4, or help me draw long and complex automations of A4 and RYTM parameters in Ableton.

1 Like

Modeselektor sound great live and they come straight out of the minijack port on their laptops.

1 Like

I love it. Itā€™s reliably worked well for me since 1.1 and is an essential part of my workflow. Not much more to say.

Iā€™ve had this argument a million times on here, and I should know better than to get into it again ā€¦ but ā€¦ imho the whole ā€œOverbridge is bad because it steals resourcesā€ argument is based on a bunch of very questionable assumptions about how Elektron structure their business.

Especially, it assumes that itā€™s a zero sum game as between hardware and OB development - I donā€™t see how thatā€™s the case, it seems reasonable to me that they actually got a bunch of extra sales of the Overbridge enabled analog boxes that they wouldnā€™t otherwise have gotten.

I personally bought both AR and A4 rather than a Tempest and another polysynth/groovebox mainly because of Overbridge, and never considered buying Elektron boxes before then. Iā€™m also very likely to buy a heat primarily for use in processing daw audio through the plugins - thatā€™s three sales they otherwise wouldnā€™t have had. Seems to me that OB would pretty much pay for itself on that basis.

Also, both Analog boxes have recently received significant sequencer updates as well as a whole bunch of additional machines for the Rytm alongside Overbridge development, so you canā€™t say itā€™s been an either/or with hardware development. And the Octatrack is now 5 years out from release, itā€™s pure fantasy to imagine that it wouldnā€™t be considered fully feature mature at this point, overbridge or no overbridge.

I understand that Overbridge isnā€™t for everyone, but itā€™s imho absolute bollocks to consistently complain that itā€™s had some massive negative impact on the hardware side or that functionality would keep being added to machines indefinitely if it wasnā€™t for OB.

7 Likes

Indeed. Just look at the A4 and Rytm OS updates that came out this year, after and amidst OB development.
Massive feature updates (trig conditions, fills, synthesis machines, linear FM) for current hardware, entirely unrelated to OB. These features also help to sell the machines, which helps Elektron, which helps us.

3 Likes

Just ran my tempest through the analog heat while recording it into ableton and wow does it ever make the bass snarl. Add a touch of compression from the tempest master outs and Iā€™m very very impressed!

1 Like

I like the fact to have the most number of possibilities for everything. Every tricky routing, modulation, parallel-serie circuits audio I can have in mind. Overbridge is super fine in this regards. I was a long time hardware user, switch at some point ITB and coming back to hardware for my LOW END Frequenciesā€¦ Finally I going more in the hardware when came the idea of a Live Music and Video Performance than I initially plan. Overbridge to me is super nice also because Iā€™m nomad because I canā€™t do better (my dream is to have a dedicated room for music but I canā€™tā€¦ for now) and Overbridge gives me everything, when comes the idea to combine my ITB skills with my Hardware skillsā€¦ itā€™s a GAME changer in my workflow ! I donā€™t care of anything now because I can do anything. Sometimes I want to HEAR what I do ONLY and sometimes I NEED to VISUALIZE what I have in MINDā€¦ itā€™s this two scenario Overbridge helps too.

So the more I can do with this expensive piece of device, the more the cost is Less painful, the more the creativity is Flowing and that as No Price ! (at least to meā€¦)

1 Like