Overbridge Premium?

So this mornings email from Elektron also mentioned additional Overbridge functionality for the Digitakt that requires an upgrade. Hopefully it’s a one time fee and not a subscription - shudder.

From the email:

Overbridge for Digitakt
Overbridge is a software suite from Elektron, offering powerful tools when using Digitakt together with computers. It comes in two variants, Basic and Premium.

Overbridge Premium Highlights
Fully integrate Digitakt with DAW environments
Control Digitakt with a dedicated VST/AU plugin interface
Use Digitakt as a 2 in/2 out sound card (CoreAudio/ASIO/WDM)
Stream multiple audio channels via USB (24 bit/48 kHz)
Recall all Digitakt settings when loading a DAW project
Plus all features of Overbridge Basic

Overbridge Basic Highlights
Sample manager/librarian functionality
MIDI over USB
Digitakt sequencer/DAW sync
Computer screen visualization of Digitakt parameters
Audio streaming of Main outs over USB (time limited sessions)

Overbridge Pricing
Overbridge Premium will be available in the Elektron webshop for $69/€79. Overbridge Basic will be free of charge.

Without being wise after the event, I had a feeling something like this might happen. Overbridge has obviously been a huge R&D overhead on Elektron and while units like the RYTM, A4 and Keys carry a cost that permits giving it away, the DT is obviously too cheap to absorb any of that overhead.

To an OB user like me, it makes the DT seem a lot less appealing as it effectively adds another £100 to the price.

1 Like

and that’s on top of the other €100 price increase the DT has also incurred. it was supposed to be €650 all in.
with overbridge it’s now €848

I’m not totally against the idea of paying more for additional features, at least in theory. :stuck_out_tongue:

More sales means more development and allows those with less money to pay for what they need, or incrementally.

Interesting that it has been kept under wraps until now.

2 Likes

wait wait. Is this just unfortunate wording, or do you now have to have OB installed for USB MIDI?!? :thinking:

1 Like

Does this mean that current users of OB will lose VST functionality for the A4 and Rytm?

1 Like

I think it’s fine

From the overbridge page (https://www.elektron.se/overbridge/):
'Overbridge for Digitakt comes in two variants: Basic and Premium. Overbridge Premium for Digitakt is 69USD/79EUR and will be available for purchase in the Elektron webshop. Overbridge Basic for Digitakt will be free of charge.

Overbridge for Analog Heat, Analog Rytm, and Analog Keys/Four is free of charge. Just download Overbridge and start using all aspects of the software suite right away.’

6 Likes

My AK, Rytm, and Heat are class-compliant under Windows, so they didn’t need a driver or OB for MIDI to work. Hopefully the Digitakt is the same.

No.

2 Likes

Also a comment from Elektron on their FB page says Overbridge will remain free on the Analog series machines:

3 Likes

I would think it is class compliant, but they might want to lock down their stuff a bit and push you to buy the full OB. Basically get a whiff of the software if you wanna midi, and then hopefully you’ll upgrade. Everything else about today’s news hints towards that.

They’re usually quite precise with their marketing copy.

It would also mean you couldn’t use USB MIDI with iOS devices, for example.

Dunno, I don’t like any of this at all.

3 Likes

Hopefully this means they are going to get a little more serious about OB/OS updates at least. 3 months and still unable to send sync via USB on new projects from Rytm/A4 with the latest OS.

I caught it too but I was surprised the Overbridge support was free to begin with tbh. Their update cycle has been painful.

1 Like

Hmmm… In two minds about this. On one hand, I find myself in the “surprised it was free to begin with camp” but on other hand I’m looking at Digitakt and now really struggling to find the appeal with it without OB.

I do think Elektron needed to revise it’s approach to OB. I’m sure many can make strong arguments against this but I would have imposed OB Premium across the range though not a paid upgrade for existing registered devices.

I also wonder how easy it will be (or not) to transfer OB Premium should you want to see your Digitakt…

what does “time limited sessions” mean? that it can only be used for like 1 hour?

I wish they would apply similar “pay more to add missing features” policy to Analog Four. I’d gladly pay the asking price for midi sequencing addon.

6 Likes

does this mean, you can stream from the AR into the DT or the other way round?

I’m not thrilled about this OB development either. I’m definitely in the “surprised OB was free in the first place” camp, but I just don’t like the optics of this. I think that by initially setting the expectation that OB would be free, Elektron now risks alienating their base by trying to have it both ways: OB is still free, but in a much more limited form, but if you want the full feature set you’ll need to pay a bit extra. Better for them to say “hey gang, sorry but this free OB thing is just unsustainable for us. Going forward, it’s going to become a separate product line.” THis is particularly true if future iterations their top-end hardware will follow the tiered OB pricing model.

As a side note, something about the Digitakt in general feels like Apple during the John Sculley years.

5 Likes

Is the Overbridge Premium license on a per-machine bases?

Olly said:

Rytm and A4 is not affected by this and will be Overbridge Premium as standard.

Would a Premium license that comes with an A4 or Rtym allow a Digitakt to use the Premium features?

“You Down With O.B.P.?”

8 Likes