Overbridge 2.0.31 Public Beta

Well after spending time today, uninstalling Overbridge, reinstalling it and factory resetting my Digitakt, I finally got most of the P-locks to work through Overbridge.

Still I am just not convinced. Everything sounds extremely flat when recording through the individual channels in Ableton. I know the sound levels are deliberately low and I have the Utility plugin preconfigured on each channel in my Template to boost the levels accordingly.

The missing FX and Master (Compressor,etc) really have a big impact on the sound and shows how good a job Elektron did with the Digitakt as a live performance/Out of the Box device.
The kicks for example, sound really powerful through the Master channel, the FX with P-locks on each track, etc have more impact than I thought.

It just confirms Overbridge is just not for me. You have to redo so much. It just messes with your workflow.

Overbridge really is only useful if you work 100% inside the Box and create from scratch through Overbridge.
Like I said before…then I can just as well do everything inside Ableton without the Digitakt, if I wanted to do that.

I guess it’s nice for people that work 100% inside the box and use a DAW that doesn’t have good sampling/sequencing capabilities. Then Overbridge with a Digitakt can be a useful addition.

But if you use Ableton Live and Overbridge practically forcing you to work inside the box, then in it’s current incarnation, its just a useless gimmick in my book.

Yes. It definitely sounds like you had an expectation about the individual outs that is not part of the design. I see it quite differently. With OB you can still do everything you were doing before, except now you have the option to also record the individual outs and an fx track in addition to the main outs. This opens up a whole world of possibilities for processing individual tracks in the box. Plus the ability to edit from within the vst, apply modulation from the DAW and have a total recall sync option makes it pretty useful for me.

2 Likes

Why in earth would you want to edit parameters within the VST, fiddle with the mouse, when you have the physical box there right in front of you?
That is the whole point of why I spend 700 bucks on the Digitakt in the first place. :slight_smile:

There is a discussion in another topic here about the VST and why it’s just a gimmick in it’s current form. All the VST is for, is to load it in the first Midi channel, so you can split the Audio tracks.

It’s not like you can load 8 instances of the VST in seperate Midi tracks and apply full automation to the Digitakt through the VST to each separate Audio track or, even better, to live record Parameter automation you do on the Digitakt being recorded as Automation within the DAW midi channels.
Then we would start talking about usefulness and serious possibilities. But we know that is not possible.

I am honestly glad for you, that you seem to be happy and content with Overbridge in it’s current incarnation. To each our own. :slight_smile:

I dont have a digitakt but do have an A4 and AR, but I’ll assume my comments are still somewhat relevant.

I find OB gives me better visibility of the parameters than the little screen on the actual units. Same with assembling kits and browsing sounds. Often I dont use the built in sequencers and use the DAW (in my case bitwig) to send midi and parameter modulation. I was one of those who paid their money for the “overbridge ready” sticker on the box, so I did spend the first few years a little frustrated. But now that the public beta version is stabilizing I’m pretty happy with how it has come together.

I dont need 8 instances of the VST. One does the job (ie one for the A4 and one for the AR). I can route multiple midi tracks and automation/modulation to that one instance. Same with recording individual outs. Pretty amazing really that you can even do all that with a single instance of the vst.

Yooooo, I just upgraded my laptop and was finally able to give Overbridge a try. I was not too sure what to expect but I got the whole multitrack thing working in Logic in like 10 minutes, no latency, no issue whatsoever, such a improvement in my workflow, thank you Elektron for killing it once again<3

2 Likes

@djx Are you sure about that? I have run extensive tests and so have others, like the link in the discussion I posted. The VST only passes Midi to Track 1 and that’s it. I cannot route Midi to Track 2-8 via the VST.
It only works when not using Overbridge/VST and send Midi from each Midi channel directly to the Digitakt. Which means your DAW just takes the role of sequencing the Digitakt tracks. That’s it really.
In either instance, you cannot automate any of the specific Parameters on the Digitakt itself that way. The VST would need to be loaded inside the specific Midi channel to be able to get access to the specific parameters and automate them.

Like I mentioned, I’m only sure about A4. I dont have a digitakt. My bitwig project has is 4 seperate instrument (ie midi) tracks, each assigned to their own midi channel and routed to another instrument track where the vst instance is loaded. This works as I expect and controls each of the 4 tracks on the A4. The output of the VST has (if I enable them) the main audio outs as well as the individual outs and fx track. Bitwig lets me route those to other tracks for recording.

@djx Exactly. I understand that. That is different. You can then just as well send those Midi channels directly to the Digitakt (or in your case to the A4). You don’t need to route them through the VST at all. Since you won’t be able to automate the specific Device parameters (in my case Digitakt) anyway, since you can’t access these parameters without the VST being loaded into that Midi Channel. Which is not possible.

And the VST midi track itself can only handle automation of one parameter of one track. Which makes it useless really.
The sole purpose of the VST right now, is to be able to split the Audio tracks over separate channels.

I agree I dont need a vst to control my A4 via midi. Obviously this is how I did it before OB became available. But the vst integrates nicely with the daw. I no longer have to map cc’s. Each vst control I touch jumps to the top of the bitwig device panel so adding modulation is just a couple of clicks. The vst graphics update in response so I get good visual feedback and can see clearly what is happening. This works will A4 parameters on all tracks at the same time. Pretty cool.

1 Like

Windows 10 user here, so every time i try to install overbridge, the installer rolls back everything just before finishing. Does anyone know how to fix this?

My overbridge stopped working so i uninstalled it and tried to install a newer version and now this :cry:

do you have an antivirus software running?

yes, avast!
i tried it with the AV off, didn’t work sadly

Make sure you uninstall all previous attempts and reboot. Make sure you have connected and powered on your elektron hardware before trying to install OB again.

2 Likes

deactivated overbridge, switches to usb midi.
that posed problems for me for updates

Seriously, I’m giving up for now. OS Catalina.
Overbridge is SO buggy. It does work eventually, then every time I open a new session or restart my computer I have to redo that sudo command via Terminal because it does not recognise either my Rytm of A4 MKI automatically.
Then the A4 inputs suddenly stop working and it’s a pain in the ass to make it work again. Then things stop working with Ableton (10.1.7) and the Overbridge Control Panel crashes and I have to force quit it, then nothing works again.
I’m wasting my studio time and going back to the analogue line outs. It’s not worth the stress and the waste of time. I really appreciate the effort guys, I do, but I’m out of this Beta and waiting for a stable version. If the technical team wants any more detailed info I’m happy to help. Please send me an email. Cheers.

1 Like

Hi, I’m having issues with the lates version. None of my devices shows up as connected (DT/DN) directly attached to usb port on macbook pro 13 mid 2012. I was wondering what SUDO command you have made in Terminal to make your mac recognize the devices? Wanna check out the stand-alone editor…

Hey guys.

My Heat won’t work via VST anymore with the latest version. I had all kinds of issues for the past years but it was cool with the v2 beta until today.

What it does is, it connects and the VST/AU changes values in the machine (I can see the leds going) but the waveform never updates and the plugin is just always on bypass. Doesn’t matter if I press “Active” or not, which also works from VST.

Please help, I miss Heat in my workflow…

Macbook retina "15, i9, Mojave, Heat mk1, Ableton 10.1.7

1 Like

same here never had any problem with p-locks or lfo’s getting stripped out

exactly the same behaviour here!

AH mk1
OSX Sierra
Ableton 10.1.7

What I found out is that actually neither my A4 mk1 nor the Heat mk1 won’t work with the buffer size set to 2048 in Ableton. They’ll just act “bypassed”.

If that’s an expected behaviour, the UI should reflect that.