Open headphone recommendations

I’m looking to get a new pair of open backed headphones. They’ll be going straight into my elektron gear, ideally without an amp. What are people using these days?

1 Like

some suggestions in here, maybe not up to date but could probably be a good starting point

2 Likes

I just picked up the Sennheiser HD 6XX on Drop. I’ll let you know how they work out for me!

1 Like

BeyerDynamic DT990 here. I love them. Also have some vintage DT511s that get some use (originally bought for Roland V-Drums). I do have some older Senns but they’re a bit flatter, better for mixing. DT990s have a very pleasing tonal response to me.

1 Like

Best headphones I’ve ever used!

1 Like

sennheiser hd 600 is very neutral and best bang for the buck, the new hd660 sound bit better to my ears but not as much as the extra-payment

3 Likes

Audio-Technica ATH-R70x
Very linear and lightweight

I have beyerdynamic dt880 pros, love ‘em (they are only “semi open” though)

Do the 990s need a headphone amp?

1 Like

I’ve had a pair of Sennheiser HD-650’s for… I can’t remember when I got them. I’ve never even thought about new headphones since.

2 Likes

GO > DTT880 pro 120ohm :ok: perfect amplification for studio

AKG K 712pro

thought they were 250 oms…

DT 990 PRO 80 ohm user here.

Very pleased with their amp-less operation.

2 Likes

HD600’s for, wow, years now, i always flirt with the idea of new headphones but i really get some good miss with these so its more out of GAS then necessity. BIG THUMBS UP for the HD600’s

2 Likes

Agreed. I do all my mixes on these babies and lately I’ve been very, very pleased with my results–leading me to believe more and more that super fancy monitors and a super well treated room aren’t all they’re cracked up to be.

As a funny aside, I thought my mixes would see an overnight improvement after buying these but I still struggled with the same concepts (too much high end, not enough low end, not enough clarity) and it wasn’t until I changed my arrangement style and just learned more about mixing that my mixes started sounding fuller, warmer, rounder. Go figure.

People talk about needing a headphone amp but I’ve also plugged them directly into my phone and got plenty of volume :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

There are different version so be careful buying one :3

1 Like

How comfortable are the HD 600s?

I have a pair of AKG 714 (I think…?) super comfortable and sound decent. I can’t comment on the mix-ability of them, as I haven’t dived to deep into mixing as of yet.

1 Like

At 250 ohms, the Rytm drives them plenty loud enough without amplification for me.

2 Likes

Can wear them for around 5hrs no problem and could go on but usually need a break by then

1 Like