Open headphone recommendations

Yes, on my 3rd pair of 650s. The og backup pair, and one at work and one pair 6xx.
Lineage and design iteration is a good thing for transducers. Did not know about 660s. I would get them without trying. But Drop 6xx is simply too good of a deal. If you are on a web forum asking about open cans, they are for you.
I’ll get 800s to celebrate some kind of insane financial milestone, I suppose!

I had the chance to listen to some models from Hifiman this week, the Ananda and Sundara. Both have a a very detailed and neutral sound. Surely some of the best cans in their pricerange. Especially the Ananda are hard to beat in the sub 1k category.

1 Like

Do the 80 ohm DT990 exist? I can´t find them, only 32, 250 and 600.

I´m maybe taking the 250 but I don´t know if they will need a headphone amp. Here it says:

“All you really need to know is most headphones work best when the output impedance is less than 1/8th the headphone impedance. So, for example, with 32 ohm Grados the output impedance can be, at most, 32/8 = 4 ohms. The Etymotic HF5s are 16 ohms so the max output impedance is 16/8 = 2 ohms. If you want to be assured a source will work well with just about any headphone, simply make sure the output impedance is under 2 ohms.”

???

1 Like

Thanks!

It’s strange, maybe they are the last ones, I can’t find them in other places nor in the Edition version.

Check ebay. Plenty of new ones there as well.

1 Like

I have DT990 Pro 250s. They are good. But, honestly they have their faults, which is odd to see not addressed here. They lack mid-range and balanced detail. For electronic music, it’s usually okay, the peaks are present by design, but I honestly can’t stand listening to a lot of acoustic recordings like jazz, classical, solo piano, etc. Grado’s are far more natural for those genres.

I also often have to swap between the two when mixing, which doesn’t make me happy.

Possibly on the hunt for Audeze LCD-Xs, but not sure it’s the solution yet.

1 Like

I absolutely love Grado SR80e open backs. $99 and I’ve had em for years. Several engineers I respect insisted on em, so I’m glad I rolled the dice.

2 Likes

Yesterday I could test the Sennheiser HD600 (300 Ohm). Great headphones, and maybe more enjoyable with acoustic music than with electronic music.

Smartphone: it sounds loud enough, maybe you will want to have a bit more volume, specially for the bass.

Octatrack and Digitone: more than enough volume, it sounds loud and I set the headphone level pot to 2/3.

XR18: before reaching the half of the output level it was already loud enough, you can turn it up and make your head explode.

So no problem with this impedance at all.

I´m wondering what would happen with 600 Ohm ´cause I´d like to get a DT990 with that impedance.

1 Like

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD598s and absolutely recommend them.