Open Battle #03: ”Collabed”

You’re good.

1 Like

haha… thanks. i am indeed behind on this one, as with many things in my life at the moment.

2 Likes

Just found this thread! I’d love to collab with someone! I make a wide variety of tracks, so let me know if you want to work in a particular style or not.
My current body of work:

Collaboration between @Fin25 aka No Masters and myself, @ViolentMeals
@Fin25 sent me the sounds, and i put drums to them, sliced em up, rearranged them, resampled them… etc…etc…
our song is called Exposed Aggregate
On my end it was DT on drum detail and OT for sample management/ mixing. It was recorded off a shitty mixer into a Tascam DR-05X in a live performance. I swear! i might yet record it to tape then back to digital to see how that works out, and if it crappifies the sound in a nice way i might repost our entry…who knows…
Im not exactly sure what @Fin25 used to create his other worldly cacaphony that traveled through the ether to me.
I had a really good time on this and i hope you like our tune.

15 Likes

The sound is so fat my cholesterol has gone through the roof just listening to it!
nice track name too!

3 Likes

My guy did most of the work, I just supplied a bunch of out of tune samples for him to try and make sense of, so @ViolentMeals deserves most of the credit really.

5 Likes

Aww… shoot…
That was a blast and id like to do it again.

2 Likes

Really happy to share the collab between @blakewalt and myself. The track is called Eyes on the Wall.

Copypasting the description from YT:

Blake’s side of the story:
Was contacted by Antti to work on a collab and after listening to his compositions, I couldn’t say no!

He came up with a really cool idea to kickstart the song.
odd signature and time signature changes were the name of the game. Antti already got the synth side covered so I decided to try out some guitar ideas for this one with my usual ad lib vocals :wink:

Antti’s side of the story:

I’d been following Blake’s music through Youtube for some time, so when this collaboration challenge started on the Elektronauts forum where we’re both members, I immediately thought of him as a collab partner. Really glad he said yes!

The song started as a jam of mine where I thought Blake’s vocals would fit nicely but the song went through quite a few versions before we settled with this structure and arrangement - a true collaboration.

9 Likes

I’m on holidays tomorrow and I know I won’t be able to work on this next week.
Would it be possible to get another week to get the tracks done?

2 Likes

For sure, no problem! I’ll extend the deadline till August 8th for now and we’ll see then if it needs to be extended beyond that.

3 Likes

Thx dear :pray:

1 Like

HOLY YES!!

Great track y’all! Having heard some of your individual compositions, I feel this collaboration just heightened the best of both parts. Couldn’t help but get some Radiohead vibes, in the best way. I’d listen to a whole album of this stuff (hint hint :wink: )

3 Likes

Was really refreshing working with @korpinen!

He came up with this Machinedrum beat that I really liked (GAS for a Machinedrum now haha) combined with his Prophet12/Matriarch, yum! he sent me like 4 minutes of it. I sang 4-5 different ad lib melodies and then we started to structure the song and introduce new chords then guitars etc. The vocal is basically my very last ad lib take with the exception of the very ending (hahahaha) being from an older ad lib take.
He also added violins with the Olafur library and it did bring another level of emotional impact to the track, subtle but just enough!

We were exchanging the Logic Pro project and only using the stock plugins to mix, which for some reasons… I never do! but Logic Pro reverbs are quite lush! Adding pitched delays after the reverb and a gated reverb was fun to create these ghostly voices echoing in the back.

The very ending (hahahah) is the space designer with a ton of predelay and reversed creating interlaced melodies that I didn’t come up with haha.

I did use some third party plugins at the very last stage of the mixing but 85% is stock plugins.

a friend of mine told me that the weird rhythm and dark melody combined with a video of a guy drowning was “disturbing”. The best comment ever :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is bloody fantastic! I would collab with either of you.

2 Likes

thank you!
perhaps the Open Collabed could become a recurring theme :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i’ve been taking care of few things over the past weeks so haven’t really had a chance to get into this but hopefully it might work out now. thanks for the deadline extension @korpinen :smiley:

1 Like

Here’s the collaboration between @Affectionate-Bee-781 and myself.

This one actually goes back to this piano vs fx sends thing in the Current Sounds thread by @Affectionate-Bee-781 all the way in May that had got stuck in my head. As he was looking for a collab partner I immediately suggested I’d try to do something with that piano snippet. And off we went!

The piano loop is augmented by his guitar, percussion and some more piano. I played Machinedrum, Matriarch, Octatrack and Olafur Arnalds Chamber Evos. The song was mixed in Logic by me and finally mastered by @Affectionate-Bee-781 through the SSL SiX mixer.

Many thanks to @Affectionate-Bee-781 for the inspiring collaboration!

10 Likes

An absolute pleasure working with you @korpinen!! You took that piano snippet into places I would’ve never imagined. In turn the melody that you played over it got stuck in my head for several days, so much so that I ended up making a cover/reprise version of it for myself one night.

I learned a lot through the experience :slight_smile: grateful for the prompt of this battle and for you reaching out for a collaboration ~ a huge compliment that a noodle on a piano could inspire a piece of work as such!

Here’s a SC link for those inclined to that platform:

6 Likes

Very nice stuff! I was listening to it and staring at this giant sequoia and a Coast Guard helicopter flew overhead at a rather low altitude. It all fit. Good work you two!

2 Likes

Great work! love the piano parts and the soundscapes around it, relaxing piece!

2 Likes