Open Battle #03: ”Collabed”

Great work!

2 Likes

Wow! This is fantastic as well. These collabs are sick!

3 Likes

Thanks! Same goes for the hip hop beat challenges!

1 Like

Here is the collab that I did with @plusn. Overall my experience was very positive, and he seems like a very nice guy.

10 Likes

nice track!
the bass/kick groove is dope!

1 Like

Good work, @HoldMyBeer and @plusn!

By the way, people - the deadline is today! :slight_smile:

However, no point shutting this down today if there are still collabs that are going to get finished in the near future. Four entries so far and I think we started with about ten collabs. So if you can, please let us know if you’re going to finish or not. Either here or via PM is fine. We don’t judge. :slight_smile:

And whether or not you end up finishing or not, hope the experience has been (at least mostly) positive! Really hoping there’ll be at least a couple more finished collabs!

2 Likes

Model:Cycles and Digitakt and some heavy processing in Ableton Live. HoldMyBeer did magic here!

4 Likes

Bass comes from M:C?

We had a version, where this was the case, but i messed up the recording at one point and we had to redo it. Bass is now from Ableton Operator. Though in my version the bass wass less well formed. HoldMyBeer brought the whole track more in focus, to the point, and killed a lot of darlings.

2 Likes

Never knowingly one to submit anything unless it’s right before a deadline, here is my collaboration with @Affectionate-Bee-781:

This whole thing was a blast, thanks for the brief @korpinen, and I would definitely do it again!

@Affectionate-Bee-781 was up for anything so I suggested hip-hop as that is what I am comfortable with, but the end result is a bit different in a good way I think. He then sent me a bunch of immaculately played 8 bar riffs in an agreed key and tempo: Matriach, guitar, bass and piano.

I chopped different parts up and added drums on the MPC One (don’t hate me) to come up with a bunch of different patterns. We went back and forth on these to figure out which ones we liked and which ones worked in combination.

I then put together two arrangements, both of which had quite a different vibe. We picked the more mellow one and then I sent the roughly mixed stems to @Affectionate-Bee-781 to do the final mix and mastering…

(The title of the track is Affectionate Bee in Irish as we never discussed this and I had to come up with something before posting! Image credit Photo by Nick Fewings on Unsplash)

10 Likes

Chill hop! I like it!

3 Likes

apologies to @d0nk3y on this one. life’s busy for me at the moment, and it was hard to get into this collab. one thing i learned was that it’s probably important to have an idea how to collaborate in the first place. we’ll keep the idea alive and possibly pass stuff back and forth at some point. so far, all the collabs have been impressive. nice work, everyone!

4 Likes

@HoldMyBeer and @plusn: great freaking job y’all! Grimy and funky at the same time. A real pleasing set of sounds and grooves in this track :clap:t4:

Such a joy working with you @Maisin! I’m noodling most nights on those instruments - it was an honor to have someone take the time to arrange them into a song! And I learned a lot in the mixing process :nerd_face: very grateful to have another set of ears for feedback during that!

:relaxed:

Big thanks again to @korpinen for this fun prompt! I’m all for extending the deadline as needed. There were quite a few proposed collabs that I was excited to hear :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Collabed with @plusn
While @plusn laid the ground and backbeat for the track, I attempted to do something less melodic than usual - and failed :upside_down_face:
Actually I have no clue what @plusn used… But I imported his whole track into live (I guess it was a performance or jam) and arranged melodies on top of it…
My sound sources where Ableton Operator, Wavetable and Audiorealism Abl3…

Hope you enjoy.
Thanks @korpinen for starting this, thanks @plusn for the collab and congrats to all contributors. The entries above all sound superb!

7 Likes

lol yes, that was fun. Sonic Charge uTonic for the drums. Thank you Unifono! I really like your Abl3 programming.

2 Likes

Great job! The mix is so good!

2 Likes

Hello!!!

I’m really looking forward to taking a listen to all of these. Nice work everyone, you got something done!

I’ve just started my summer holidays and plan to finish the project this week. I know the deadline has been extended already and by the sounds of it a little extra time would be ok too. You guys are so cool!

Although it has been very difficult for me to find anytime whatsoever, I am really excited about completing it.

2 Likes

Ah nice. Sounded like a hardware jam to me. So our production is 100% ITB :upside_down_face:

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

That´s what i am saying…Elektron should license Microtonic and put it in a hardware box in Digiformat and call it Digitonic…

1 Like

I‘m eyeing the lxr-02. Similar territory