Open Battle #03: ”Collabed”

HOLY YES!!

Great track y’all! Having heard some of your individual compositions, I feel this collaboration just heightened the best of both parts. Couldn’t help but get some Radiohead vibes, in the best way. I’d listen to a whole album of this stuff (hint hint :wink: )

3 Likes

Was really refreshing working with @korpinen!

He came up with this Machinedrum beat that I really liked (GAS for a Machinedrum now haha) combined with his Prophet12/Matriarch, yum! he sent me like 4 minutes of it. I sang 4-5 different ad lib melodies and then we started to structure the song and introduce new chords then guitars etc. The vocal is basically my very last ad lib take with the exception of the very ending (hahahaha) being from an older ad lib take.
He also added violins with the Olafur library and it did bring another level of emotional impact to the track, subtle but just enough!

We were exchanging the Logic Pro project and only using the stock plugins to mix, which for some reasons… I never do! but Logic Pro reverbs are quite lush! Adding pitched delays after the reverb and a gated reverb was fun to create these ghostly voices echoing in the back.

The very ending (hahahah) is the space designer with a ton of predelay and reversed creating interlaced melodies that I didn’t come up with haha.

I did use some third party plugins at the very last stage of the mixing but 85% is stock plugins.

a friend of mine told me that the weird rhythm and dark melody combined with a video of a guy drowning was “disturbing”. The best comment ever :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is bloody fantastic! I would collab with either of you.

2 Likes

thank you!
perhaps the Open Collabed could become a recurring theme :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i’ve been taking care of few things over the past weeks so haven’t really had a chance to get into this but hopefully it might work out now. thanks for the deadline extension @korpinen :smiley:

1 Like

Here’s the collaboration between @Affectionate-Bee-781 and myself.

This one actually goes back to this piano vs fx sends thing in the Current Sounds thread by @Affectionate-Bee-781 all the way in May that had got stuck in my head. As he was looking for a collab partner I immediately suggested I’d try to do something with that piano snippet. And off we went!

The piano loop is augmented by his guitar, percussion and some more piano. I played Machinedrum, Matriarch, Octatrack and Olafur Arnalds Chamber Evos. The song was mixed in Logic by me and finally mastered by @Affectionate-Bee-781 through the SSL SiX mixer.

Many thanks to @Affectionate-Bee-781 for the inspiring collaboration!

10 Likes

An absolute pleasure working with you @korpinen!! You took that piano snippet into places I would’ve never imagined. In turn the melody that you played over it got stuck in my head for several days, so much so that I ended up making a cover/reprise version of it for myself one night.

I learned a lot through the experience :slight_smile: grateful for the prompt of this battle and for you reaching out for a collaboration ~ a huge compliment that a noodle on a piano could inspire a piece of work as such!

Here’s a SC link for those inclined to that platform:

6 Likes

Very nice stuff! I was listening to it and staring at this giant sequoia and a Coast Guard helicopter flew overhead at a rather low altitude. It all fit. Good work you two!

2 Likes

Great work! love the piano parts and the soundscapes around it, relaxing piece!

2 Likes

Great work!

2 Likes

Wow! This is fantastic as well. These collabs are sick!

3 Likes

Thanks! Same goes for the hip hop beat challenges!

1 Like

Here is the collab that I did with @plusn. Overall my experience was very positive, and he seems like a very nice guy.

10 Likes

nice track!
the bass/kick groove is dope!

1 Like

Good work, @HoldMyBeer and @plusn!

By the way, people - the deadline is today! :slight_smile:

However, no point shutting this down today if there are still collabs that are going to get finished in the near future. Four entries so far and I think we started with about ten collabs. So if you can, please let us know if you’re going to finish or not. Either here or via PM is fine. We don’t judge. :slight_smile:

And whether or not you end up finishing or not, hope the experience has been (at least mostly) positive! Really hoping there’ll be at least a couple more finished collabs!

2 Likes

Model:Cycles and Digitakt and some heavy processing in Ableton Live. HoldMyBeer did magic here!

4 Likes

Bass comes from M:C?

We had a version, where this was the case, but i messed up the recording at one point and we had to redo it. Bass is now from Ableton Operator. Though in my version the bass wass less well formed. HoldMyBeer brought the whole track more in focus, to the point, and killed a lot of darlings.

2 Likes

Never knowingly one to submit anything unless it’s right before a deadline, here is my collaboration with @Affectionate-Bee-781:

This whole thing was a blast, thanks for the brief @korpinen, and I would definitely do it again!

@Affectionate-Bee-781 was up for anything so I suggested hip-hop as that is what I am comfortable with, but the end result is a bit different in a good way I think. He then sent me a bunch of immaculately played 8 bar riffs in an agreed key and tempo: Matriach, guitar, bass and piano.

I chopped different parts up and added drums on the MPC One (don’t hate me) to come up with a bunch of different patterns. We went back and forth on these to figure out which ones we liked and which ones worked in combination.

I then put together two arrangements, both of which had quite a different vibe. We picked the more mellow one and then I sent the roughly mixed stems to @Affectionate-Bee-781 to do the final mix and mastering…

(The title of the track is Affectionate Bee in Irish as we never discussed this and I had to come up with something before posting! Image credit Photo by Nick Fewings on Unsplash)

10 Likes

Chill hop! I like it!

3 Likes