Octatrack with just 1 synth for under $400?

Evolver is an interesting synth but trading at way over 400 these days.

That AS-1 filter is magical.

The OT works great with any synth that has a full MIDI implementation. I used mine with just a Volca Keys for a while and it really pushed this rather simple synth into some wild territories.

So choose a synth that has a full MIDI implementation but also speaks to you sonically.

If you like the prophet sound, the AS-1 is a good deal. If you like the SH sound, the SH-01A will give you that plus polyphony!

4 Likes

I had the original SE-1 (big 3U). :slight_smile:
Not sure if the SE02 sounds as good…

I had the SE-1 as well. Never did a back-to-back comparison with the SE-02 but definitely in the same ballpark.

1 Like

I have both the AS-1 and the Tetra. Both are exceptionnally good sounding synths. The AS-1 is fantastic, it’s a P6, it’s the real thing, not a copy or something. Very inspiring, a future classic. The Tetra is just as good, it’s another flavor of the legendary Dave Smith sound: 4 voices of a P8. It’s better than the P8 actually, because it had added suboscillators. Incredibly versatile with it’s 3 modes: 4 voice poly, combo 1 channel, 1 sound per voice, and multi modes (the latter being 1 voice per midi channel= multitimbral mono). The gated sequencers are awesome and there are 4 of them per sound. Yes, editing is not as easy as on a knobby synth, so you need to memorize the structure of the synth, but it’s not that difficult either. There’s a little bit of work to be done, but the factory sounds are very good so you can get grooving right away. Both the Tetra and the AS-1 make very good use of the available knobs, and both are very good live performers. Midi implementation is exhaustive on both. Dave Smith is the “Father of Midi” after all! I can recommend both: they’re lovely intruments, on top of being high-class. Not much competition IMHO. Just one thing you need to be aware of: both sound HUGE. If your other gear is not on par, you’ll have difficulties to glue it all together. By comparison, a A4/AKeys can easily sound too harsh and a Sub37 can easily sound too soft, but both DSI’s have a large sweet spot. But that’s of course my own interpretation (I own all 4 of them)

4 Likes

Yes, probably right there. I traded an O-Coast for mine.

1 Like

Used Organelle

1 Like

Microfreak!
You’ve got playability with a keyboard, multiple synth engines, an internal sequencer/arp (you can get interesting sequences when combining it with OT’s midi track), interesting modulation sources (cycling envelopes, random LFO) and a deep modulation matrix and (almost) polyphony!
Combined with octatrack internal effects, arp, lfos, you get such a deep system!

3 Likes

How did you patch up that shimmer effect that comes in near the end?

You’re not the first person to mention it. I think that’s the one. Looks pretty awesome. Thanks man.

IIRC recording CUE, playing it with timestretch, pitch +12, Dark Reverb with long time, CUE send (feedback).
OT shimmer attempt gone way left and created something new

1 Like

Update. Just picked up the microfreak! Fun little synth.

6 Likes

Please… Read this.

1 Like

Noted , i retract what i said.

Softube has clones of mutable instruments stuff?

Yes, Braids, Rings and Clouds for Softube Modular.

https://www.softube.com/products#/

1 Like

Absolutely! Arturia’s methods and communication were not good for this synth’s release.
What’s funny is that this mess hightened my curiosity for the modular world and especially Mutable Instruments. And wouldn’t you know, 6 months later, I started my own rack, made mostly of MI modules (including Plaits obviously)
I just feel that considering OP’s budget, the microfreak is a great option, but I absolutely understand your reservations and people should be aware who they are buying from.

2 Likes

If you can DIY, raise your budget just a bit, or find one secondhand, a Mutable Instruments Ambika could be a really nice companion to the OT. I don’t have one myself but they sound great and the voice allocation options and swappable filter cards seem perfect for pairing up with the OT’s sequencer. Use it as a 4 voice poly with Roland style filteer plus a monosynth with a Moog filter AND a second monosynth with a Polivoks filter? No problem.

2 Likes

had a blo keys for years, never once had a crash and it gets the crap beaten out of it

often used in multi mode via OT too, 8 channels easy drums and all

Hi Matebar,
I suggested the Microfreak :wink:
I have no concerns, I guess it’s lost in translation.

Have fun! That is what matters!

2 Likes