Octatrack with just 1 synth for under $400?

I have an Octatrack and plan on a simple setup. Use a Midi keyboard to sequence the Octatrack and use the Synth as a stand-alone to dub over on a 4-track. Simple.

Ideas on a small Midi analog (even faux analog) synth to pair up? Under $400…

What’s your setup?

Thanks

Hi!
If you want a broad range of sounds look at the microfreak.

4 Likes

Wait a few month the A4 should soon drop below $400 2nd hand

2 Likes

Well, the a4 is not that good at midi… :wink:

It may not sequence external midi but it can receive from Octatrack. Would make a great pairing.

4 Likes

Sh-01a if you like the sound of it

4 Likes

Mono or poly?

I would set it up with a synth with keys to make it simpler. Maybe the Korg with four voices? Can’t beat an analog four for $400, if you can find that price.

Not analog, but I really love my Audiothingies Micromonsta. It has become my go-to synth and is well under $400.

8 Likes

Doesn’t look like the Microfreak has a 5 pin midi.

It does via the included adaptors 3.5mm trs to female 5pin DIN

2 Likes

Like the Monostation, or 0-coast, or Drumbrute.
A lot of synths today have such a solution. You need to take care that you dont mix those breakout cables between manufacturer.
If you take Circut and Monostation for example and pair them you can use a standard trs 3.5 one and plug them together. Easy peasy.

2 Likes

Yes, that is a good small synth! Love it too!

Wicked

Just learnt something new!
(even tho i saw Loopop do it in the Launchkey MK3 video I never thought to try it out)

Now I can save a couple of Midi Din cables!

Cheers

I built the cheapest synth for Octatrack. :sunglasses:

INABCD Jacks sampling challenge :loopy:

13 Likes

Well, this is on budget :smiley:
Hahahahhahaaaaaaaa!

1 Like

Octatrack with just 1 synth for under $400?

Referring strictly to the title, hard to get a better synth and a functional Octatrack for the same price!
My 2 cents (synth). :content:

1 Like

Toraiz AS-1

2 Likes

Yep. It replaced my Blofeld, which has to be considered too, being multitimbral. A lot of possibilities with OT.

Micromonsta is monotimbral, 8 voices, with wavetables, supersaw, very simple and efficient mod matrix, arp, scale, better filters, half OT width, you can pair 2 or buy a Double Drummer, very light…
First record sequenced by OT :
https://soundcloud.com/wiliwow/micromonsta-one

2 Likes

+1 for the AS-1, all day