Octatrack with just 1 synth for under $400?

Yes, probably right there. I traded an O-Coast for mine.

1 Like

Used Organelle

1 Like

Microfreak!
You’ve got playability with a keyboard, multiple synth engines, an internal sequencer/arp (you can get interesting sequences when combining it with OT’s midi track), interesting modulation sources (cycling envelopes, random LFO) and a deep modulation matrix and (almost) polyphony!
Combined with octatrack internal effects, arp, lfos, you get such a deep system!

3 Likes

How did you patch up that shimmer effect that comes in near the end?

You’re not the first person to mention it. I think that’s the one. Looks pretty awesome. Thanks man.

IIRC recording CUE, playing it with timestretch, pitch +12, Dark Reverb with long time, CUE send (feedback).
OT shimmer attempt gone way left and created something new

1 Like

Update. Just picked up the microfreak! Fun little synth.

6 Likes

Please… Read this.

1 Like

Noted , i retract what i said.

Softube has clones of mutable instruments stuff?

Yes, Braids, Rings and Clouds for Softube Modular.

https://www.softube.com/products#/

1 Like

Absolutely! Arturia’s methods and communication were not good for this synth’s release.
What’s funny is that this mess hightened my curiosity for the modular world and especially Mutable Instruments. And wouldn’t you know, 6 months later, I started my own rack, made mostly of MI modules (including Plaits obviously)
I just feel that considering OP’s budget, the microfreak is a great option, but I absolutely understand your reservations and people should be aware who they are buying from.

2 Likes

If you can DIY, raise your budget just a bit, or find one secondhand, a Mutable Instruments Ambika could be a really nice companion to the OT. I don’t have one myself but they sound great and the voice allocation options and swappable filter cards seem perfect for pairing up with the OT’s sequencer. Use it as a 4 voice poly with Roland style filteer plus a monosynth with a Moog filter AND a second monosynth with a Polivoks filter? No problem.

2 Likes

had a blo keys for years, never once had a crash and it gets the crap beaten out of it

often used in multi mode via OT too, 8 channels easy drums and all

Hi Matebar,
I suggested the Microfreak :wink:
I have no concerns, I guess it’s lost in translation.

Have fun! That is what matters!

2 Likes

For 400 dollars Mnm in poor condition! :wink:

Before I fell into the eurorack pit, I got a MicroMonsta to go with my OT. Stupidly cheap for what it is. Plus, it’s tiny but has a really nice UI. Still have it and still glad I do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shruthi is like 200€ used and sounds amazing, this thing can spit out so much bass and has such a punch.
Awesome synth.
I totally dig the Smr4mk2 (Rolandish) filter :upside_down_face:

Micromonsta also sounds great and both have a good midi implementation.
I have Shruthi and Micromonsta connected to my OT for quite some time now, those two would offer a lot and with a little luck you could get both for 400€ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I built an Anushri back in 2014 or so and it’s still one of the nicest sounding synths I’ve ever had. Cost about $175 and most of a Saturday soldering.

Not sure if anyone’s supplying a kit these days but it’s still achievable one way or the other, and I imagine you could get one built for you by someone for less than $400 even if they had to have the PCBs custom made.

Anushri + Octatrack chorus can get surprisingly Rolandy (I used to share a practice space with a band who used multiple SH-101s and Juno 60s back when those were still budget synths, and I’ve had a Juno 6 for years, and I’ve had a x0xb0x for even longer, made with the old NOS ICs and transistors back when those were still obtainable - the Anushri sounds every bit as good as any of those - not the same but absolutely on the same level). I’ve had a Mother32 for a few years and I prefer its UI to the Anushri in some ways, but the Anushri sounds quite a bit better to me - the M32 sounds kind of bland in comparison, especially the filter - the Anushri filter is kind of like a combination of the best qualities of a classic Roland filter and a Moog ladder filter, IMO. As a bonus even though the drum sounds in the Anushri are only minimally editable from the front panel, they’re not actually simple crossfades between different samples like I thought when I first made it - the kick in particular has pretty deep editing available via MIDIand can get all kinds of sounds that are pretty far removed from the built in ones. For a while I was usign the OT to edit custom drum sounds on the Anushri and using it as a simple drum module AND an SH-101-esque monosynth. It’s kind 0f sad that Olivier decided to disown his early desktop synths because IMO they’re still the best sounding stuff Mutable actually did. I’ve built plenty of stuff before and since and the Anushri is still the best sounding of the lot.

EDIT: current production PCBs are $40 on Modularaddict.

Looks like the going price for a ued one is under $400USD on Reverb these days, a couple years ago people were trying to get twice that, which was dumb. It’s a great synth but not THAT great.

Anushri sounds amazing.

They pop up every now and then on classified websites for reasonable prices.
Few years ago it seemed impossible to get one, hard to find even if you were willing to pay a silly price…

Btw, you can still order full kits for Shruthi/Shruthi XT(now called Phoenix/Phoenix XT) and Ambika (now called Tubika) from Tubeohm

2 Likes