Octatrack Tips & Tricks (OT Tips)

Ace!

I saw that this is a selectable function that can be set in the controls

For those who didnt know about this resample technique:

For my workflow to catch some programming specific track to Audio is Setup one track recorder to soundsource cue.
Recording lenght to taste, quantized recording to plenght.
Cue tracks you want to record ,
Set oneshot recorder Trick on recorder Setup menu at First trick.
Arm track recorder ( track + yes)
The cued Signal goes direct into the sampler, like a Open gate to the recorder.

Than you can func + rec 3/ midi to save the sample, repeat for more times always Save your recordings.
You have now prerecorded/consuldated versions in one sample for appling new processing arranging into patterns( sound locks)
I hope this will give you a fresh way for working on octa.

I used to do this technique into Ableton a lot ( resampling) to get great textures, varity and clean cpu puffer.
And you get focused on further task , dont get lost.

Happy new year

14 Likes

+1
I do this a lot with direct sample too (Track + src3) with QREC set appropriately (offset also produces unexpected results)

2 Likes

Thinking of ideas to replicate the chase bliss warped vinyl effect in OT. Any suggestions?

Lfo on pitch (or rate), lfo on delay time (tape mode), lfo on vol, lofi, chorusā€¦

6 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s the sort of thing Iā€™ve been playing with. Iā€™ve been thinking LFOs modulating other LFOs speed to get a bit of randomness more similar to real warped vinyl. I just canā€™t quite seem to get that ā€œwateryā€ sound nailed though. Iā€™ve been thinking of ways to use no input noise to use a track to generate a low level controllable vinyl crackle, Iā€™m sure itā€™s doable. Would be nice to get a solid effect chain to going to know OT can have a built in vinylizer. Would make a nice new effect using the building blocks that are already there if the elektron gods are listeningā€¦

3 Likes

Strymon volante, 400ā‚¬

:smiley:

1 Like
10 Likes

Magic, this forums a gold mine. Looking forward to getting home now

1 Like

Iā€™m searching for a way to level out the volumes of the songs Iā€™m going to play live. As Iā€™m using track 8 as master track I was thinking about monitoring the OT volume with a vst such as Span and to tweak OT master fx to remove any nasty resonance (eq/dj eq) and to adjust the volumes (compressor gain).
How do you think itā€™s going to work? Do you have any tip on the subject? thanks

besides the great LFO and fx recipes on here for vinyl sim, another way, and iā€™m not trying to sound pretentious at all. But buy old vinyl, less than good condition, and a cheap not that great record player, and boom boom.

1 Like

Yeah I sample vinyl all the time, more been trying to get the effect for VSTs and my instrument samples etc.

@Open_Mike that worked well by the way. Even better with a third random LFO modulating the depth of the other one. Got some unusual stuff with a chorus on it too

4 Likes

Yeah for sure, My buddy runs his OT through sp404 vinyl sim with good results. But yeah I really wanna try that recipe when i get home tn

2 Likes

Realtime Synced Arp!

FN+Bank (Grid Rec off) > Scale Per Track
Fn+Scale > 2/16
Set your arp settings
Hold the first trig with a toothpick or whatever*.
Set your keyboard on autochannel.
Done.

That way you can play with your arp perfectly synced with the sequencer in realtime with external keyboard! :content:

Add random lfo on Note LEN to alternate chords / arp. (LEN = 0 = no arp)

*If you use it a lot : solder a switch! :loopy:

9 Likes

If If play an arp with NLEN 0 I wont hear a chord but an arp ā€¦
Do I missed something ?

Yes, if you read carefully, Iā€™m talking about NOTE page LEN. :wink:

1 Like

Ah okay !!! Very good ! Thank you !
Saddly this wont let me use the arp scale helper with biggest chords from my keyboard but itā€™s a nice trick ā€¦

(Im personnaly trying to apply the Scale mode help to more than 4 notes chords) (but allready have a lot to practice on with those last messages :hap:)

Good night guys :slight_smile:

My best tips for quick, click-free sampling:

OT Ableton audio printer: No excuses for bad sounding OT mixes.

No more latency when sequencing Ableton from OT or monitoring OT (or other synced hardware) through Ableton:

6 Likes

wavetable-style quick tip - set loop size exactly 674 samples - will be C note

8 Likes