Starting Arpeggiator with trig ( as opposed to MIDI IN )

I updated the original comment to highlight what I’m trying to do.

I want to put a single trig on to the start of a sequence so that when OT playback begins, the arpeggiator sends MIDI out to external hardware (press AMP twice to launch MIDI ARP SETUP for reference), but that is not happening and I do not understand. I have checked the manual (chapter 15) but see no mention of this. I have also tried yours and others suggestions to have multiple notes to no avail. I now remember why I do not use the OTMKII.

you´re not reading our answers.

your problem has 100% certain already been solved/answered:

select MIDI page
select your track + set your midi Channel (press encoder to confirm)
set the arpeggiator to ON
set a trigger: set LEN to something long-ish, like 1/1 (full bar)
KEEP TRIG PRESSED and set NOTE to C3
KEEP TRIG PRESSED and set NOT2 to +4 (or anything, really)
KEEP TRIG PRESSED and set NOT3 to +7 (again, anything works)

press play.

it SHOULD play an arpeggio between c3, e3 (+4) and g3 (+7)

2 Likes

Don’t be accusatory. I am reading everyone’s answer, including yours, and I have tried what you have suggested and it does not work for me! If it works for you and others, then of course all is good. The reason I posted the question is that I am not seeing expected behaviour, so I wanted to confirm my findings. Of course I will setup a new project and try again, but at this point, I am worn out by it. I am sending midi out, I can trigger the arpeggiator by holding multiple trigs, but the arp is not starting on playback. I think the best thing I can do is give it a break for now.

is the track muted ? (or plays free)

PS what is being triggered ?

1 Like

You didn’t mentioned Arp Mode > select 1 mode different from off.
Note page LEN = INF (or 1/1 :wink:)

Otherwise it is the right procedure, with a new project, nothing else modified.

@xenosapien, 1 note suffice to make arp work ! :wink:

3 Likes

I think this is a case of when meeting someone in the corridor is better than doing so on the web! First, thanks for all of your suggestions. The track is not muted. While I wish there were an online animated Octatrack OS to compare setups, I suppose all I can do is list:

• Press MIDI to enter MIDI mode
NOTE VEL LEN
C3 100 1
NOT2 NOT3 NOT4
0 0 0
  • Press FUNC + SRC for MIDI NOTE SETUP
CHAN BANK PROG
1 OFF OFF
  • Press FUNC + AMP for MIDI ARP SETUP and set to
TRAN LEG MODE
0 OFF TRUE
SPD RNGE N/LEN
8 10CT 1/16
  • Press FUNC + ARROW UP as needed to enter chromatic mode
  • Pressing multiple TRIG keys starts the arpeggiator correctly
  • Press REC to ready the OT to input notes
  • Press TRIG1 to enter it ( RED )
  • Press PLAY: a MIDI note plays, but ARPEGGIATOR does not respond

This is the point at where that I am stuck. Modifications to NOT2/3/4 make no difference. Long pressing T1 and doing the same makes no difference.

I must be missing something very very basic here…

1 Like

Thank you xenosapien! I don’t believe it. Through all of the tweaking, though I would have sworn I had already done it… setting it to a full bar did the trick. Solved. Thanks!

2 Likes

suggested early on BTW !

1 Like

What are you setting in Arp Setup?
10 octaves range !
Speed 8 is a weird setting.
Elektron speed units are weird actually.
3 6 9 12 18 24…are more logical, 6 being 16th, 12 being 8th, etc.

You got your thanks too avantronica.

1 Like

Yes LEN = 1 is very short. I also suggested INF, @xenosapien 1/1, which is not 1!

1 Like

And so did you sezare56! Ha ha ha. Much appreciated.

And @xenosapien! You read between lines maybe. :wink:

1 Like

no thanks needed, none of us help for the gratitude, it’s just a reminder to reflect that people really do try to help by making suggestions and filling in the gaps - it’s easier to ask the right questions when you know the answer sometimes - it’s a machine that needs a good workout periodically to keep the concepts fresh

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more! Thanks.

1 Like

I like it! :smile:
I mostly answered to learn OT, now to master it. I’m very selfish. :loopy:

@Illogical my turn to thank you, when I woke up I read your question, and thought about realtime sync arp workarounds :
Here is one! (Maybe other possibilities with midi processor an midi plays free)

1 Like

I wasn´t try to accuse you, sorry - I was stating what I thought was happening - I thought you had not read them.

Apologies for assuming - I was wrong.

And I know how frustrating it can be when you think you´re doing everything right, and then somebody “explains” to you what they are doing (right) and you just can´t see where you´re going wrong.

No worries, I´m neither mad at you and I have actually been in your shoes several times before myself. :wink:

@sezare56 correct, 1 note trig would work as well, though I always feel that that shouldn´t count as an “arpeggio” :stuck_out_tongue:

@avantronica I think it actually took the combined brainpower of 3+ people to get out of this haha. that´s the octatrack for you, hm? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Don’t worry about it xenosapien! We’ve all walked in those shoes at some point. All is good and the arp is wicked fun :grin:

1 Like

This thread worked out so nice, problem solved, everybody happy and communicating. Thats why i keep coming back to this place.:panda_face:

1 Like

Retrig if you wish, btw it is great for retrig with envelope, midi loopback. :wink: