Digitone (DN+DT) only music

Hey, all. Just posted a track using a DN and M:S. All of the other tracks on there are predominantly DN+M:S.

As an aside, just got an alert from a local music shop saying they got more M:C in stock. Ordered the only one left at 3 am! Very excited.

3 Likes

Thanks for welcoming!
Where is the “I love DN” thread? :content:

1 bar pattern, trig conditions, 2 tracks for drums with soundlocks, 1 for kick / snare, another one for hihats like. Live rec tweaking.

2 tracks with arp from default sound, random lfos on different fm parameters.

Not really a composition, A minor live playing. Mutes.

The really cool thing with DN is that when you play live, arp is synced! Not the case with A4 or OT, can’t tell about MC. Missing random arp (TRC workarounds but…)

I’m just lazy using 1 bar with TRCs most of the time! :smile:
I made a much more complicated song for my son with OT Arranger (he’s too lazy to learn a poem so I made a song with it):content:

3 Likes

i love DN too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, I see. So the chord changes were not sequenced, but played in? Is that right?

1 Like

Yeah that is great and the way it should be. M:C’s retrig unfortunately doesn’t start synced.

(Still on OT you can set trig quantization to 16th notes so it should start synced that way, right?)

Apparently not in live conditions. Toothpick workaround

Improv only DN + Reverb

2 Likes

My post didn’t generate any engagement so posting in the thread instead:

This is one of my Twitch live streams. Before I played two Digitone only livesets at work, this stream is similar to those but adds a Digitakt for more improvisation.

Connections are pretty simple:

• Digitone sends clock to Digitakt
  • Digitakt sends audio to Digitone
  • Digitone sends audio to Interface

Video is quite primitive:

• Old laptop with integrated camera using OBS to stream and record video to hard drive.

Set structure:

• Digitone with 8 main patterns plus 3 transition ones, the rest of the transitions are just moving to the next pattern. Basic drum sounds are presets, the rest is mostly my own sounds.
  • Digitakt is used as a drum machine with 909 samples and it’s programmed on the fly for extra percussion.
  • The last 30 minutes are improvisation with modifications over the last pattern until it becomes something different.
  • To keep things moving in the Digitone patterns I use muting-unmuting, playing with the FM parameters and filter, changing envelopes, changing effect settings, adding steps on the fly, changing steps to have random probability and p-locking steps on the fly.
  • To make the most out of Digitone tracks, there’s typically sound-locking of the bass drum to use the rest of the track for a different sound, some tracks have the trick of microtiming a step all the way back to make two sounds almost at the same time.
  • To keep things moving in the Digitakt, I create patterns on the fly, mute-unmute, add p-locks, add random probability to steps, change tuning and effects.

Future steps:

• Improve transitions, maybe adding some looping device? Octatrack seems useful.
  • Improve video recording. Need to find an external webcam, also improving lighting probably helps to increase video quality.
  • Come up with new tracks, I’ve been playing these ones for a few months so it would be good to rotate.
5 Likes

Even though there other 2 other instruments, they’re both going through the Digitone inputs so technically this is still Digitone only! :stuck_out_tongue:

Some warbly lofi Sunday vibes:

5 Likes

Hi folks. Did a slightly scrappy console gamey hiphop jam on the Digitone (main mix output through a compressor).

6 Likes

it‘s so nice isn‘t it?
I played with it the whole week after not touching it for a while and was reminded how great it sounds. my fav elektron with the OT so far

1 Like

Yep. Stand with OT+DN planned, with some other gear above.

2 Likes

I’m thinking about a digitakt again, just because they fit together so nicely :slight_smile:
But it’s not reasonable, OT does all I need from the DT

1 Like

DN (+Audacity)

3 Likes

Just an idea…

Maybe I’ll develop later.

2 Likes

Very nice! I’ve been eyeing a Volante myself to pair with the Digitone, so this is perfect!

Can you use it to saturate the sound a bit?

1 Like

Great, beautiful and spacey :sunrise:
I really like that lead bass.

1 Like

I’d got today, so I haven’t got much time to test, but I understood the wears and mechanics controls add artifacts like pitch fluctuations and drive… but they are so subtle fx, even if you go to max. and I think the saturation is a little bit.
Anyway I like so much that kind of subtle fx on the sound. I don’t regret for the moment, that is what I searched it.

1 Like

Thank you very much! The Volca Keys does a wonderful job on basslines! :slight_smile:

Nice, looking forward to hear/see more! :+1:

1 Like