Octatrack Tips & Tricks (OT Tips)

Magic, this forums a gold mine. Looking forward to getting home now

1 Like

I’m searching for a way to level out the volumes of the songs I’m going to play live. As I’m using track 8 as master track I was thinking about monitoring the OT volume with a vst such as Span and to tweak OT master fx to remove any nasty resonance (eq/dj eq) and to adjust the volumes (compressor gain).
How do you think it’s going to work? Do you have any tip on the subject? thanks

besides the great LFO and fx recipes on here for vinyl sim, another way, and i’m not trying to sound pretentious at all. But buy old vinyl, less than good condition, and a cheap not that great record player, and boom boom.

1 Like

Yeah I sample vinyl all the time, more been trying to get the effect for VSTs and my instrument samples etc.

@Open_Mike that worked well by the way. Even better with a third random LFO modulating the depth of the other one. Got some unusual stuff with a chorus on it too

4 Likes

Yeah for sure, My buddy runs his OT through sp404 vinyl sim with good results. But yeah I really wanna try that recipe when i get home tn

2 Likes

Realtime Synced Arp!

FN+Bank (Grid Rec off) > Scale Per Track
Fn+Scale > 2/16
Set your arp settings
Hold the first trig with a toothpick or whatever*.
Set your keyboard on autochannel.
Done.

That way you can play with your arp perfectly synced with the sequencer in realtime with external keyboard! :content:

Add random lfo on Note LEN to alternate chords / arp. (LEN = 0 = no arp)

*If you use it a lot : solder a switch! :loopy:

9 Likes

If If play an arp with NLEN 0 I wont hear a chord but an arp …
Do I missed something ?

Yes, if you read carefully, I’m talking about NOTE page LEN. :wink:

1 Like

Ah okay !!! Very good ! Thank you !
Saddly this wont let me use the arp scale helper with biggest chords from my keyboard but it’s a nice trick …

(Im personnaly trying to apply the Scale mode help to more than 4 notes chords) (but allready have a lot to practice on with those last messages :hap:)

Good night guys :slight_smile:

My best tips for quick, click-free sampling:

OT Ableton audio printer: No excuses for bad sounding OT mixes.

No more latency when sequencing Ableton from OT or monitoring OT (or other synced hardware) through Ableton:

6 Likes

wavetable-style quick tip - set loop size exactly 674 samples - will be C note

8 Likes

Yep. I used G note, the most precise I found to be close to 440 hz tuning with 225 / 450 / 900 samples.
Tip to find other notes from C with 674 samples : L = length in samples, n = semitones
L = 674 / 2^(n/12)

Example for G
L = 674 / 2^(7/12) = 450 samples

Btw, I’d rather calculate from G.

7 Likes

I wanted a trig-sync triangle lfo that starts at the lowest value (not halfway up). Midi designer has a low resolution and sounded too grainy. Working with a midi track so no slides.

My solution was to use two saw lfos on the same parameter, one going up and one down. For the first two bars I locked the depth off on the 2nd saw, the second two bars the depth off on the 1st saw. Can have fun tweaking the different rates as well.

Note: Designer would have worked for my goal as well, see below

Did you try Trig + Tempo in lfo designer?

To interpolate between two steps, select a waveform step by pressing and holding the corresponding [TRIG] key and then press the [TEMPO]

6 Likes

!! somehow I didn’t know this existed. I feel like I learned it early on and lost it in all my other octa learnings.

I’m glad I went down my rabbit hole as its useful without taking a designer slot, but yea I gotta interpolate!

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Off Topic

You seem tired Bugs!
Btw we have the same 3 strings guitar! :wink:

That tip to keep in topic. :slight_smile:

Fn+Knob seems to work for active channel view only (left by default).

Set change to both channel view to select zero crossings for both channels (it selects also left channel zero crossing when there is only left, same for right).

2 Likes

Funny enough in the lab notes doc I’m working on I mention this method of using exact number of samples for pitch, as well as getting another 2 octaves down using rate, and numbers for additional octaves.

5 Likes

Was checking out @Veets’s wonderful :3lektron: Next level Guide and came across this which I never considered, makes we want to get into plays free tracks more. The clip is from pg. 73 and its continued and expanded upon on pg. 74, link to PDF below…

10 Likes

Throwing Snow getting FULL use out of an OT…

10 Likes