Octatrack Templates

Also don’t forget you can copy/paste playback/src, amp, lfo, fx1 and fx2 and ofc entire tracks (ofc also works on midi tracks). Makes setting up from scratch much faster.

3 Likes

I’m really intrigued by this, especially if there is a level of automation going on… got any more info?

I used to set up everything from scratch for years, but sometimes you quickly want to catch an idea and that idea can be gone (or partly gone) when you’re finished setting up tracks.

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

I’m curious when you define a time to start a new project vs creating multiple patterns within banks?

My method. Maybe @tnussb proceed differently? This would deserve a thread.
Resampling thread - #48 by sezare56

4 Likes

I stick to doing one track per bank, makes organization easier. So I can pull only eight tracks out of an OT project, but it really makes everything easier for me. There’s a folder for each OT project on my computer, each contains eight folders a-h with the title of the track, daw project etc.

Especially when I prepare stuff for playing live, it helps me a lot.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s the simplest one.

@KidYoshi

I have also experimented pitching down/up consecutively utilizing all 8 recorders in series (rec1 records -1 octave => rec1 playback with additional -1 octave & rec2 records => … and so on), but utilizing rate is much easier.

3 Likes

I guess this depends completely on your goal. I start a new project almost ever time I sit down with the OT, because my goal is neither playing live for an audience nor producing something what could be seen as an album.

My focus is simply on single audio pieces, so there is no need to pack multiple “tracks”/songs into a single project. With stuff separated into single projects it’s much easier for me to find it again afterwards.

5 Likes

Same boat, single experiments, but I ended with a lot of projects! For simple tests, bug tests, I may use a specific set.

More and more oftenly I use the same project to experiment something different, I just change bank.

3 Likes

So you prep samples in daw then Transfer to octatrack?

Love to hear an example of the kind of audio piece you’re talking about :heart::cowboy_hat_face:

And yeah I’m kind of feeling the idea of song per project and naming my ableton session the same name. Having multiple sessions spread across banks feels messy.

Is there a way to merge banks and patterns into projects later?

OctaEdit :nerd_face:

I thought octaedit didn’t work anymore?

OSv1.40 is not supported; and won’t be until OctaEdit v2 is released.

My advice is to wait until OctaEdit v2 is released.

2 Likes

As long as the projects share the same global settings and are referencing samples only from the global AUDIO folder and subfolders you should be able to copy the bankXX.strd and bankXX.work files around in between project folders like you want.

@sezare56: any additional tips?

1 Like

@tnussb And you don’t have any conflicts with any sample slots between projects…

4 Likes

Ah yes, of course, the slots. I’ll try to stick to fixed slot ranges for banks.

So it’s easy to merge the slot lists from multiple project.strd files without conflicts. It’s quite a hack, but works for me.

You’re missing a couple of things; but like you say, quite a hack and works for you.