Resampling thread

Please go into more detail! Having a bank dedicated to resampling? Huh?

Before I sold my Octatrack, I’d just make sure the INT sampling source was set to CUE on any Flex track. I also had one-touch record set in settings.

That way, I could send any track to CUE, hit REC 3 to record it into any rec buffer.

3 Likes

I’ve been playing with cues for the first time too. If I get a drum loop going that I like (kick, snare, hat) I’ll cue up all three tracks and have a flex track record it. Let the resampling and resequencing begin…

Starting to half wish I got the mk2 though. A dedicated rec3 button would be nice, especially when having to hold any of tracks 5 to 8 and the MIDI button with one hand… Also wish I had a dedicated AED button! But I really like the aesthetic of the Mk1 a lot.

2 Likes

new to ot… what do you mean resample on the ot?

Re-sampling happens when your recording source set in record setup menu is T1-T8 or MAIN or CUE. So when you record an internal channel of the Octatrack.

2 Likes

Resampling tip : make an 8 pitch (octave) sample chain in one pass. This allows to extend the +/- 1 octave limit.

A Track Recorder can record its own recording pitched up, if a Rec trig is place on the same step (no microtiming). Minimum infos, ask for more for certain points.

Assign a sample to Track 1
Trig 1 : Rate +8 (octave - 3)
Trig 2 : Rate +16 (octave - 2)
Trig 3 : Rate +32 (octave - 1)
Trig 4 : no plock (octave 0)
Trig 5 : pitch +12 (octave 1), REC trig
Trig 6 : plock Recording 1, pitch +12 (octave 2), REC trig
Trig 7 : plock Recording 1, pich +12 (octave 3), REC Trig
Trig 8 : plock Recording 1, pitch +12 (octave 4)

Record Track 1 with Recorder 2
Add slices to Recording 2, plock, modulate them

19 Likes

I love my Mk1 but now I’ve started resampling stuff I wish I had that dedicated button too!

I enabled Quick Record to cut down on the amount of hand gymnastics but having to remember to switch to the record setup page each time is a pain.

I’ve had quick record on since I got the thing. Opening up rec setup to “cut down hand gymnastics” is something I’ll have to remember.

Then it’s like…Are those two dedicated buttons worth an extra $200-$300? idk lol

Heh, yeah. It’s a marginally better reason than wanting to spend it just for the pretty lights on the trig buttons though :slight_smile:

I hear people say they play gigs in the dark and it’s much easier to see what trigs are what in the Mk2 context. I haven’t had that experience so I can’t say.

Since we’re already here in the resampling thread, I wanna ask if anyone knows the best way to gain stage because it completely escapes me.

All I want is my sample to play at the SAME VOLUME AS WHEN I RECORDED IT! Instead of guessing and hoping. Why is it that if, say, my track is peaking at -12dB, I then resample it to another track and make sure that in the Attr (or is it file?) settings there is no additional gain, the track is somehow quieter? I’ll run another experiment later but I’m pretty sure when I do this I have all of my page settings cleared ahead of time on the new resampled track.

I also want to avoid internal clipping.

I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I’m wrong but I remember reading here that someone said resampled tracks were sounding ‘flat’ compared to the source because it automatically added a filter as the first effect. Could that be it?

When you resample, the track level of the track that plays back the recording should be at 127 instead of the default 108. You are basically just copying: any processing including track level will alter the copy.

2 Likes

It’s definitely not a “flatness” it’s a volume decrease. Like I said I make sure to clear all page pages for the new track. It just seems like I always get a sample that’s either quieter or louder.

This is silly…So then what if I want to resample that track? Eventually all my tracks are gonna peak out at 127?

How can I ensure I avoid internal clipping? Cause sometimes it’s hard to tell.

If your leds clip red, you’re probably clipping (there’s some ballistics included so occasional reds are OK). But if you record a track that has its level set at 127 to another track, that won’t change anything, you still need to set the receiving track to 127 for 1:1 copy. Stuff becomes difficult when you’re summing several tracks, but that’s not what you’re referring to, I believe?

1 Like

Beware, If you resample a track with SRC3 = T1-T8, recording level depends on VOL, not TRACK LEVEL.

3 Likes

Hmm now that I’ve thought some more I guess that’s fine. Usually my resample workflow is to leap frog back and forth between two tracks. So I’m thinking if both tracks are at 127 then eventually I’ll lose volume right? Because then wouldn’t I need more than 127 to get it to be the same volume?

Correct, but the issue was the output volume of the resulting track…correct me if I’m wrong

Jeez this makes things more complicated.

So if it’s clipping hypothetically, I would have to turn down the Vol, not the level?

If we’re talking internal resampling, yes if you are summing several tracks into one and the result clips the recording buffer’s input. But that means that your mix is technically not OK anyway.

Can’t elaborate, I have to read a book to my son!
What is your reSampling gain strategy when saving?

1 Like