Octatrack DJ

No Interest Loan Scheme is the title in Australia (nationwide) although the base group is an international charitable private venture focusing on providing micro-loans for business means on a low income

2 Likes

interesting ā€¦ i found that if i change the type of timestretching and explored the parameters, the disappointment turned to gladness as it seemed quite usable.

but yes for complex sound material loops, Abletonā€™s ā€œComplex Proā€ timestretching option is, I must say, pretty impressive.

i use ableton to prepare content, sometimes at differing bpm ranges, also Ableton is great to retime loops using repitch-to-tempo, one option the Octatrack does not haveā€¦ then export something that sounds great, and use it live on the Octatrack.

2 Likes

yes, repitch to tempo on the OT would be so, so good!

3 Likes

The Merlin Guide to Octatrack and Beyond

http://www.elektron-users.com/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=611&Itemid=30

would have been so very useful to read and be aware of, when at first entering the OT biosphere ā€¦ Iā€™m only reading it now lol.

Flex machines are your friends ā€¦ they are the ones using the high performance realtime 80mb of memory.

Merlin consolidates all the myriad possibilities into one unified approach. Essentially.

Itā€™s like the Merlin manual to understand the OT manual.

2 Likes

I know bro, I know.

However, the main coder of the Octatrack went to Teenage Engineering and designed the OP-1 afaik.

Sooooo ā€¦ with the OS of the OT being the flowing, glowing, manifestly magnificently optimised thing of beauty that it is, there isnā€™t anyone else currently willing to take it on. Just to understand the code would take months, to grok and grasp all the structure. And a proper programmer must, if they are to be innovative and efficient, hold the entire codebase structure in their consciousness as they program.

If the re-pitch to time feature were to be implemented, although it may seem like the most simple thing, the OT is not designed around that as a basis for its own understanding of the audio audio files that it works with.

And so obviously i thought long and hard about whether to choose the Akai Live over the Elektron Octatrack. As the Live does give the user a re-pitch to tempo. Not complaining, just saying :slight_smile:

And for ten wild and crazy days, made the call to go for the Akai lol.

But no, the OT wins all the same.
I shall replace my previously splashed Octatrack with a new mkII.

Yes there is Rate on the OT, and in fact, after getting over the irritation of not having re-pitch to tempo, i start to think ā€¦ well, what is it in particular i love about re-pitching loops to tempo? The sound.

Love that deep resonant slightly false-yet-organic sonorous formant re-contextualisation of a detuned loop effected in pitch by tempo.

So, yeah ā€¦ itā€™s more the sound than anything. So, accessing parts of a loop and p-locking them as one-shots, different start and atk settings, different Rate and length settings etc ā€¦ instead of triggering the loop as usual, just try sequencing a groove of segmented re-pitched re-Rated trigs with p-locks.

Anyway OT for the win all the same i reckon.

The OTā€™s syncronisation with the Machinedrum as master clock is absolutely amazing, and that is the secret sauce to finding original flavours of groove, whilst maintaining magnetic funky danceability :slight_smile:

And that is possibly more than could be said for other hardware sampler looping instruments ā€¦ sometimes they need to be Master clock in order to function optimally. Not so for the Octatrack, and imho that is a quiet miracle.

2 Likes

For quality timestretching, the cheapest way into the excellent Elastique algos might be BeatMaker 3 for iPad, on sale now for $19.99.

Too late! lols I rented both of them already aha But I learned the rytm really fast, I havenā€™t tried the features like over bridge or using it as a sound card but me and the rytm are like best friends now and the octatrack seems to like me too because I really havenā€™t had any problems! I really thought it would be harder because I suck with computer software and I honestly donā€™t like touch screens for anything musical because I have clumsy small hands with nails that work much much better with knobs and lots of buttons.

I appreciate all the people with iPad suggestions but for me itā€™s not even close and I just canā€™t get into it at all. Iā€™ve had iPad and iPhone apps and stuff for a long time, but itā€™s just not the same as a dedicated machine for me. I made so many things last night versus what Iā€™ve done in almost a year of playing around with iPad and other stuff. I have no hate on the iPad obviously but Iā€™m just so happy I rented both these units! Jumping all in is good for me and my way I think.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions but I love these dedicated new music friends. Iā€™ve been playing with iPad stuff for a while and for reasons stated above, itā€™s just not working out for me as well as the elektron stuff : )

lol very cool

yes the Rytm would be easier than the Machinedrum in some ways, simpler and more focused ā€¦ and the Octatrack is very much seeming to provide what you are looking for, so the motivation is there ā€¦

keen to hear your initial mixes

Aha thank you! I have them hooked up to each other so that the rytm can sample into the octatrack. Iā€™m still filling the octatrack with samples so I wonā€™t have anything to show on that for a bit. But this weekend is perfect because itā€™s extremely humid and rainy, so Iā€™m staying in and getting familiar with my two new friends : ) I was going to post a picture my roommate took of me using it but I didnā€™t want you guys to think I was being sexual or slutty because Iā€™m in my swim suit on my tummy playing around but itā€™s just humid! lol But hereā€™s one I took of the set up on my bed currently with my kitty jumping into the picture for some attention : )

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been reading this ! and watching lots of youtube videos : )

The kitty is pretty damn cute.

1 Like

Believe it or not we have a whole thread full of furry feline Elektron usersā€¦ :grinning:

2 Likes

Too funny! lol

1 Like

Just one thing that irks me - The rytm is on the wrong side! The rytm looks much better as the left side unit IMO :nyan:

2 Likes

But if youā€™re lefty?You need that fader at your leftā€¦

2 Likes

Aha the wrong side? thatā€™s funny lols The rytmā€™s blinking lights on my left side were bugging me for some reason, and I liked having the octatracks big screen to my left instead to look at my recordings. But I might change it up, donā€™t want to offend anyone : ) lols

No go right ahead. I wouldnā€™t think that at all :bikini: :aw: :sunglasses: :ecstatic:

1 Like

Thereā€™s only one name for that cat
Octapussy :smile_cat:

2 Likes

I hate my cat around my gear. My nemisis

2 Likes