Octatrack DJ

That’s actually the funniest name ever lol !!!

1 Like

OT can be tricky if you plan to DJ with it. It’s not designed for this task, it’s however great performance sampler :+1:

fair enough then. I was drunk anyway so there’s that :hamburger:

1 Like

nah u use your nose or your bum to rock th fadr

2 Likes

I use my ot as a dj device, works great. Needs a lot of preparations n, and bringing in new tracks is a chore, but the ways of manipulating stuff is just out there…
As gor the positions of the devices, that is the way i hold them, feels more natural for the crossfader to be next to the pads, as those are the things that see the most action, YMMV…

4 Likes

And for sound, I still haven’t heard anything hardware or software that’s quite as musical as an old Roland VP9000. They’re about 20 years old but they are still impressive, especially at the prices I see them go for sometimes.

If you want to really get in deep with time stretch and pitch shifting and don’t mind adjusting your workflow to accommodate the VPS9000’s sampling workflow (everything you sample has to be preprocessed before you can stretch or pitch shift it in real time) it’s worth having a look at them. If you happen to have an old MPC2000 with the factory multicard reader, you can swap that in for the ZIP drive (there’s no other known card reader that will work), but any $20 of-the-shelf card reader in the MPC, and have a pretty unbeatable time and pitch manipulation box for not that much money. Maxing out the RAM to 128mb costs about $20, too.

Sorry for the derail, I just wanted to give this thing a shout out because it’s really underappreciated today.

3 Likes

Looks interesting : ) But I luv my two new friends, so I think I’m set on them now tbh. I’ve been having a lot of fun this weekend, I don’t even care it’s rainy and humid! As long as the power stays on aha

1 Like

Yeah, not something you’d need for what you’re doing, completely of topic.

the terms of reference as regards where the Octatrack will provide transport to is defined by the audio that is stored on the Compact Flash media … very cool accompaniment choice re/ Rytm. Guaranteed quality resonances at the very beginning of the audio adventure.

i’m hoping to invest in a new OT and a Behringer Deepmind at the same time, really explore the world of polyphonic analog synthesis through the lens of the Octatrack.

2 Likes

I was saving up for a Deepmind last winter but ended up spending it on a nice, MIDI retrofitted Juno 6 when I had a chance at one for uite a bit less than the cost of the Deepmind. At any rate, it’s close enough for me to say that you are going to have a LOT of fun if you end up with that combo.

3 Likes

I once prepped about 30 finished tracks of mine (ironically mostly made on OT & MD) into a separate project with an eye to djing for a small party, and while messing about, realised that running both pairs of OT outputs into their own channels on a dj mixer gave the best of both worlds. OT X-Fader could then be dedicated to fx, resampling etc and the mixer was unbeatable for authentic eq/level meters and cueing. Best of both worlds. Most venues will have a dj mixer to plug into as well so less luggage.

8 Likes

This has been my experience as well. Even with a controller, managing gainstaging while having post-fade fx is tricky without an ext DJ mixer.

1 Like

I’ve been having a great time with the elektron stuff I rented!

I don’t have any complains other than I don’t understand how to use my apollo twin I have hooked up to my laptop. I use the apollo as my input for my laptop but it seems I have to select the rytm as the sound card to hear it’s usb sound? I can still use my apollo to output the sound, but I can’t record into it while the rytm is in it’s USB over bridge mode? Am I understanding this right?

You cannot record the inputs of the Apollo unless it is your soundcard in ableton. What you can do, is use the Apollo as your audio interface, and then use overbridge plugin VST/AU for getting the audio into your DAW. The plugins will still work, you do not need to set up the rytm as your soundcard for ob to work.

If you have an ADAT input box, like a focusrite octopre or similar, you can get 8 additional inputs to your Apollo. Then you can record the individual outs straight with Apollo console processing on top. This is how I personally record multitracks with the rytm. It’s a cable mess compared to just running overbridge but I prefer this approach as overbridge is sometimes working a bit funny with my old mbp

1 Like

Thanks, that info was a big relief ! aha

I don’t have an ADAT input box, should I maybe get one for my apollo? I got the apollo as a bday present, it’s a little one with two inputs. But it would definitely be nicer to have more inputs but their bigger rack versions with more inputs are too expensive for me atm. The ADAT box would give me more? : )

1 Like

yes, that’s the idea!

I too have an Apollo twin (duo), but also have an 8 channel mic/line preamp that has ADAT, just so I can run eight more channels of audio into my twin. I would have liked a rack Apollo originally, but the prices were too much for my budget, so went for a twin and later bought the ADAT preamp for it. Its kinda cool since I can also use the twin without the ADAT, takes less space in the bag, but when I need those channels I just connect with one digital cable and go.

Only thing that does not work on the ADAT inputs are the UAD unison plugins, everything else works just fine in the console software with the ADAT channels.

Oh, one more thing about the ADAT boxes… If you decide to get one, make sure it can be both a digital clock master as well as slave. Also make sure it accepts both line and mic signals.

2 Likes

although it’s a really cool idea, i highly recommend not getting any more inputs, you don’t need them right now, and although the current exploration into the world of soundcard may seem confusing, i guarantee the simpler the better to begin with.

The Apollo card is brilliant quality, on a par with RME soundcards. Just learn how to use that, the stereo input is great for the Octatrack, and if there are hassles with the Rytm Overbridge needing to be the soundcard, then just play the Rytm through the inputs of the Octatrack.

Less options to think about the soundcard the better, imho. Really makes the fun factor more possible.

2 Likes

You can’t use multiple audio interfaces at the same time in Ableton? I haven’t used it in a while but I figured this was standard in everything (except possibly Pro Tools, which is always at least a decade behind) at this point.

Not trying to be snarky, I’m just genuinely surprised to hear this.

I have a quick question as regards streaming larger audio files using Static machines from the media card on the Octatrack …

i didn’t think it was possible to load more than a particular amount of data to the Static memory slots … is there a particular technique for DJ’ing purposes, to stream larger files from card onto a track and not use up memory?

You can only select 1 device, but you can define an aggregate device in the system which allows you to use more than one sound card at a time.

2 Likes