Octatrack DJ

rent em both then! Just remember that the rytm is the happy-go-lucky puppy that you can always fall back to when you just want to have fun… I mean, I only speak for myself, but I clicked with the rytm in minutes whereas I needed to borrow an OT twice (second time after learning rhe rytm completely) before I started understanding how the OT works.

1 Like

I’m now thinking lols Maybe to follow your advice and rent the rytm first… Hmm. The rebellious side of me wants to show I can take on both of them at once lols But you maybe right. I’ll have to decide soon! : )

always better to have a second opinion though :diddly:

I’m pretty sure there are a bunch of people on this board who got on jus fine with the OT and grasped it quickly. I just want to make sure you know what to expect.

1 Like

wow which music store lets you rent out elektron stuff?

2 Likes

Sorry I couldn’t reply to this yesterday because I ran out of my thread posting limit lol (newbie here)

But they rent it out at Long and mcquade! : ) I think it’s only in Canada, but I’m not sure

I gave them a call and they had both available for me to rent and a cf card and stuff to use with it. They’re great!

3 Likes

I don’t think there is an ideal box to start with! I’d probably be scratching my head thinking WTF? had I started on anything other than the Octatrack - but once you pin down the logic behind one, the next becomes far quicker to learn. From a certain perspective, the OT could actually be the easiest to start with while generating usable & unique stuff if keeping it simple! Took me a while to get to grips with it but was a lot of fun while I had one.

I’ll return to the OT one day, the thing is ridiculous!

1 Like

Oh cool i didn’t know they did that, I’m in Canada too(Victoria) good to know!

If you think timestretch is going to be important to you, make sure you hear it first. It was really the only big dissapointment for me.

Good luck whichever you choose :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know a few cats who do this… I’ve been meaning to give it a good go myself sometime; figure:

Tracks 01-04 for Deck A; Tracks 05-08 for Deck B
or
Tracks 01-02 for Deck A; Tracks 03-04 for Deck B; Tracks 05-06 for Deck C and Tracks 07-08 for Deck D

Then I just need to sitdown with a bunch of tracks; edit them a bit, tweak the slice points; configure a project and import them in, thats the easy bit.

Figuring out a good selection / range of tracks is the hard part…

4 Likes

To give an update, I rented both this morning instead of last night because I was really sleepy after reading a bunch of manuals and watching a bunch of octatrack and rytm guide videos.

I can happily say I picked up the octatrack pretty quickly : ) I don’t have anything to show my efforts yet because I’m still loading it with samples but I like it’s funny alien way of doing things. It makes sense and it’s not as hard as I thought it would be : ) But you guys helped a lot and I’m sure it would of been really hard without all of your advice!! so a big thank you because I picked it up really fast : )

I’ll post a picture or something of me using it soon ! Thanks again : )

5 Likes

I’ll definitely give this a try!

1 Like

I’ll know soon ! lols

No way I’m also in Canada - Calgary, AB !

1 Like

@Rusty is the guru … get in good with him and you’ll be famous in no time. He’s one of the main reasons I am where I am with Ocatrack. :elot::smile_cat:

2 Likes

I live in Mississauga, Ontario aha

I’ve been playing with the rytm more first because I need to load more sounds into the octatrack. It’s been a fun process ! : ) my roommate who doesn’t know anything about music started playing with the rytm and she loves it too aha It’s been a good experience so far! : )

3 Likes

“Octatrack DJ” would be a really cool song title/chorus vocal, maybe …

i’m hoping to apply for a micro-business no-interest charity organisation loan to invest in the OT mkII

1 Like

it sounds like fun but isn’t: the OT’s tough side is not wild nor loud, but silent, like outer space.

incomprehensible-at-first signal path routings

strange things like PLEN

i tried to learn the Machinedrum and Monomachine at the same time, it was confusing as fuck.

Go for the Octatrack if you would like to DJ, give it six months at least then grab something else to accompany the OT…

Although … the Octatrack is only as cool as the content you sample and put in there, soooo… maybe both would be the way to go. And yet it is quite possible to find quality sounds and samples in various ways, or make them on computer, iPad…

Do look into the option of an interest-free loan, they are possible to apply for and achieve in Australia, and the micro-business charity group is actually worldwide, helping different community groups offer help to low income peeps to invest in their business.

1 Like

In honesty these days you’d be better of with an I pad pro and a Keith McMillen QuNeo, the apps available for expressive djing, mixing and on the fly mashup are much more advanced.

lol i completely disagree bro, anyway i celebrate the differences :slight_smile:
sound quality from the Octatrack is next level, iPad pro or not is not going to rival Elektron anytime soon. Not being mean, just saying how things really are when it comes to transients, overtones and undertones, treatment of floating 32 bit algorithmic smoothing and so forth …

but a controller is a great idea for an Octatrack.

8 channel midi fader with two rotaries per fader to map to the filter and resonance of each Octatrack stereo channel. Like the forthcoming Faderfox Mx12 … the extra controls mapped to useful things like wet-dry ratio of chorus on channels 1 and 2, etc.

the Oktakontrol was made especially to DJ live with, controlling the Octatrack, very cool … would still work seamlessly with OTmkII as the OS remains the same (the sign of a truly magnificent OS). Although has no potentiometers … and yet, is optimised for track solo preview record arm and on-the-fly resampling of master track, all from the Oktakontrol.

No longer made, but is available irregularly second-hand.

but the same functionality is achievable with other control surfaces, just not labelled bespoke for the device.

1 Like

Where do I sign up?

3 Likes