Octatrack 64 breakbeat x 16 slices megabreak of doom:

I’m sorry for the redundant question as this has been previously answered but i can’t get this to work.

• Load all 16 wavs into Track 1’s static slots

• Slice each sample into 64 slices (dont snap to zero)

• Enable slice on your Octatrack channel

• Create a pattern with step 1 sample-locked to one of the 16 wavs
    STEP 1 WAV A, STEP 2 WAV B, etc trig + down for each step 1-16?

-Final step map the fader to STEP 1 by holding A and trig 1? AND B TO STEP 16?

please excuse my ignorance, thank you!

Not simple as that, you have to reorganise all slices, as it should be explained a the beginning of the thread…

@Abhoth’s Octachainer Software can do it for you, up to 16x16.

2 Likes

I appreciate the response. The megabreak provided is not organised already? I can’t see what your were referring to at the beginning off the thread. I’m not really following regarding the “reorganising”
other than that am i on the correct path? (will check octachainer)

Seriously don’t mean to be annoying, cheers

It is. I thought you wanted to make yours.

I do though i can’t even figure out the former.
I’ve just sliced all 16 tracks into 64 and there loaded in the static section of track 1 (1A- 16P) Slice mode is on in the SRC Setup. On track 1 while holding trig and down, i select the corresponding TRIG 1A, 2B etc to 16P
(each trig flashes red) this is all on bar 1, track 1. Finally to map the fader i just hold A and 1? B and 16?

i just purchased the octatrack so everything’s new. Where am i going wrong?

I’d probably be using flex rather than static as you’re already using slices.

Holding a scene button (A or B) let’s you map a parameter to a scene.
EDIT: Pressing a trig while holding a scene will change the scene, like it would with patterns when holding pattern…

To understand what you’re trying to do with this trick, when you press play you should be able to hear the original 1st loop as it sounded before you cut it up. This should work without using any scenes. This is because the pattern is changing sample every step. The scenes are to change which section of the sample is playing.

To change the part of the sample that you hear (the slice), you want to use the STRT parameter on the playback page. Hold a scene button and change STRT to 16.

5 Likes

Sucess.
Thank you guys both of you, really appreciate it.

2 Likes

Megabreak is a brilliant advanced trick, thanks to @wascal! Glad it was successful!
Make yours is not simple. I could made mine with OT only, I wouldn’t do it everyday! (anymore?) :smile:

3 Likes

Slice knob on your scenes not trigs. So hold scene a and move your slice knob to 1. Then hold scene b and move the slice knob to 64

2 Likes

Thanks for the work on this technique - heaps of fun on the Octatrack! This inspired me to develop a similar method in Ableton and Reason. Happy to share if there is any interest.

1 Like

A bit of fuffing around, proof of concept…

Here is the project file in Reason 11.2.1d17 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1koXCuhtdlh4EDKIr95CNWcTkRr2-Q71L

This method is possible in previous versions of Reason - basically just to need to transpose CV. I have a bunch of other devices in there that people may not have. The only one that is crucial (I think) to the functioning of the breakbeats is Selig’s Noteview that I am using for the transposing.

I will explain more if there is interest.

The breakbeat files have been put together from the jungle breaks .co .uk pack…

I also have an Ableton version if anyone is interested…

2 Likes

Unfortunately, that link is duff.

what I don’t understand: How do I slice a sample when it’s only a sample lock?

Samples have their own slot > edit their slice settings (Fn+Bank above the slot, in the slot list)

Sorry - this is the link - https://www.blumarten.com/product/junglejungle-free-sample-pack/

2 Likes

Nice one! :+1: Thanks buddy.
Stay safe.

1 Like

Megabreak is also possible on AR/DT/MS. :content:

8 Likes

Damn! I need to do this. Super sick!

1 Like

You can test with @wascal’s files I modified :
Megabreak of Doom for Analog Rytm

1 Like

crazy stuff dude; showing one more time the deepness of this magic box :wink: