Novation Peak

waiting for custom arpeggio editor next :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m using a DT to sequence my Peak but the Peak doesnā€™t load the Preset that I chose on my MIDI Track like all my other synths do. Also, if I program different Presets (PC) on the DTā€™s sequencer (e.g. Trig 1 > Preset 9, Trig 9 > Preset 13), they donā€™t change on the Peak.

Settings > MIDI ENABLE > BANK/PATCH on RECEIVE

Latest OS

So how are people liking this user wavetable feature? Havenā€™t seen much on YouTube of anything that interesting.

You could check whether your MIDI cable is OK.

Are you setting values for BANK or SBNK on the DT? As far as I know only SBNK will be useful on the Peak and probably only values in the range from 0 to 3.

Do you have any other MIDI tracks on the DT set to the same channel number as youā€™re using to send to the Peak?

1 Like

I did a better description of the problem in this thread.

Itā€™s OK.

Tried both.

No.

So, I power on the Peak (itā€™s on Preset 000). I power on the DT (set to send Program Change 009 to the Peak on the first Trig). I press Play on the DT, Preset on the Peak doesnā€™t change, itā€™s still 000.

If I reset manually the Peakā€™s Preset on the SRC Page of the DT, everything is fine, the Peak receives the PC.

Now, Iā€™m wondering if the Peak needs to be manually trigged first in order to receive PC or if itā€™s on the DT that resides this behavior.

Problem solved. When using Bank A, you have to select SBNK 2 instead of SBNK 1.

1 Like

Anyone have the following problem: When you set the LFO reset from Free to anything else, setting it back to Free does not make it free-running. Only setting the Common setting On and Off again will ā€˜freeā€™ it from the sync. The Peak is running 1.31.

I am currently away from my Peak, but iirc i stumbled across this as well, when i was in 1.1. But i thought they fixed this in 1.2?
Lets Check the Release notes.

EDIT: Nope not in there. Iā€™ll Check on my Peak in the Weekend, and If that LFO Reset behaviour is still Like that, we should file a support Ticket with Novation.

But OT, they added in Components support for the LaunchControl XL Mk1/2 and other older modelsā€¦nice!

1 Like

i want this synth

1 Like

It was pointed out to me that the LFO thing is not a bug, but rather a pretty cool thing. Sorry for clickbait but mr. Tinez explains it reeeally well.

7 Likes

Nothing like learning tricks on a synth you own.

3 Likes

Launch Control and XL support is indeed nice!
I wonder if we can overwrite the factory slots yet? They are wasted in a computerless setup.

If anyone in the UK is considering buying a Peak:

5 Likes

Has anyone tried to develop a technique to ping the Peakā€™s filters? I know this is more of a modular technique but Iā€™ve had a lot of fun implementing it on polysynths to find new ways to play the filters.

Usually running an square/saw LFO through the audio path will do the trick but I donā€™t think the Peak allows that? Maybe a snappy envelope to modulate PW or an oscillatorā€™s VCA mix could be a sufficient transient? Anyone wanna try it out?

I guess for this the CV modulation input could be a good way.

Hmm maybe Iā€™m mistaken but I donā€™t think that would quite do what Iā€™m thinking of. Sending a transient into the CV mod input wouldnā€™t really excite the filter the same way a transient to the filter input would.

For example, on my Prophet 6 oscillator B has the ability to run at LFO speeds for the polymod section, but the LFO can also be run through the regular oscillator mixer. If you set the waveshape to a square or saw the sharp transient in these waveforms will create a click, which can excite the filter for a pitched sound if it has itā€™s resonance between 25%-75%. Set key tracking on the filter and itā€™s a playable synth sound.

Modular synths and even Elektron stuff (e.g. impulse machine on the Rytm) offer this synthesis ability relatively easily, but for keyboard polysynths it usually takes some finagling if itā€™s possible. Mostly curious to know if anyoneā€™s figured out a way to synthesize a suitable transient for these purposes.

Letā€™s hear an audio clip of the effect youā€™re referencing.

I might be missing something. what is the difference between this and a key tracking filter?

At itā€™s most basic.
A transient is sent to a filter input with resonance and makes a non-sustained yet pitched tone.

Same principle but instead of a controlling the frequency of a continuously oscillating filter, you excite the filter with a transient for a percussive sound (so you need to coax the filter to oscillate on each key press). This is particularly nice to play with a keyboard when pinging a filter with a repeating transient because holding down the keys allows one to play clusters of percussive sounds rather than a typical chord drone. Iā€™ve been able to replicate this on the Prophet 5 / 6 / 10ā€™s Iā€™ve played because they allow LFOs to be sent through the audio path of the filter, but transients can be synthesized in a variety of ways.

Just curious if the digital implementation of the Peakā€™s oscillators allows for this type of synthesis.

My immediate hunch would be to key sync a sawtooth wave with an incredibly fast mod envelope > oscillator mix amount so you can get a single click on each key press, then use a high sustain / release value on the VCA envelope and engage key tracking to the filter to make the sound audible / playable. Maybe loop the envelope for the clusters I was referring to.

1 Like