No New Gear Year 2023 AKA NGNY 2023

I’m still in!.. Well, I actually bought a film camera but that’s for another forum.

I haven’t bought any music gear since Dic last year, cause I’m moving out soon and can’t bring all my stuff with me. Though I’ve not been able to save the money cause well, moving out seems to be pretty expensive too hahahah

The only thing I’d love to buy (again) is a Digitakt cause I loved the workflow to program drums, but everytime I open Ableton my gas kind of disappear. I’d love to try a Syntakt too but those are impossible to get in my country,

2 Likes

oof… a reface cp is tempting me for practicing piano on the couch or outside.

on the other hand, i could get a lightning adapter to allow plugging in my keystep and headphones to my phone for like $20.

is that the better option here?

1 Like

I’m toying with the idea of self-imposing a buying rule for myself for the remainder of 2023;

Only buy gear released/made between 2008-2013, so 10-15 years old…and only when really needed.

Main reasons for this are:

• to obviously not get caught up in ‘new release’ GAS/hype.
  • have the advantage of 10-15 years of feedback to fully assess/research the gear.
  • take advantage of the natural ‘out of trend’ price dip that most gear 10-15 years old gets to.
  • lower costs (relative to newer gear) with potential to see it increase in value sooner (investment potential).

So, not quite NGNY, but it’s a workable strategy to avoid GAS.
(I don’t need no AH+FX or Udo Super Gemini.)

Got a particular piece of gear in mind? :blush:

“kramer I’m out.gif”

1 Like

That is a Gear Aquisition Post ( GAP – Mind the GAP. )
Good idea, wrong thread.

Here’s a thread that fits :

Or start a new one. You need to delete that post.

3 Likes

No, that’s the point :grin:… I aim to not buy anything else in 2023, and knowing I have this rule/guide in place will help me avoid GAS for gear I would normally get GAS for.

(EDIT: actually, the talk around the old vs new MPC’s did instigate the idea.)

I’m not saying I’m going on a buying spree of 10-15 year old gear, it’s a method I’m adopting to NOT buy gear for the remainder of 2023 unless it’s something I feel is absolutely necessary.

@Jukka this is why it’s in the context of this thread.

1 Like

Mind the GAP.

2 Likes

Reminds me of convoluted ‘rules’ I would come up with for regulating alcohol, when the only thing that actually worked is no alcohol. Alas.

4 Likes

So far I have survived and not bought one piece of music gear this year a record for me! I did invest in fitness equipment like new dumbbells and bench and fence for backyard. I will also try to pass next year no gear challenge. Been focused on mastery for synths and guitar and record some new songs to spin into a release end of year. A good synth friend advised me not to buy any new music gear until I earn at least a dollar from music produced. That is a good tip!

2 Likes

50000 Spotify plays and your there!

2 Likes

Rationalizations are invented explanations that hide or deny true motivations, causes, or actions.
They are the excuses people give themselves for not living up to their own standards.

2 Likes

The only one your truly lying to is yourself in the end.

3 Likes

Very interesting idea! Just beware - Virus TI2 fits your rule :wink:

But it’s not really a lie. It’s an explanation. It makes sense, doesn’t it. There was really no alternative. Anyone else would do exactly the same thing. You can’t be so rigid that you can’t make an exception sometimes. It was such a small thing anyways. Plus i had the money. Who even notices ? Besides i asked a friend and they said it was alright. And i know several other people all with the same commitments, and they were OK with it. What’s the big deal anyway ? Life goes on.

OK maybe i’m not perfect, but who is ? And you shouldn’t compare yourself to others anyway. And besides next time i’ll get it right. It’s better to be accepting of yourself.

And technically it really wasn’t a breach. I said i would, unless X happened, how was i to know. And now, well it’s all off isn’t it.

And besides, i didn’t start it, they did first. Life goes on. It was such a small thing.

1 Like

Rationalization may start hitting when you are being tempted with a new product announcement.

Hold the line !!!

5 Likes

So glad i can’t afford that thing.

3 Likes

so glad i’m using ableton as a multirack recorder and don’t actually need it, looks amazing though

1 Like

Watch this and you will hold the line!

11 Likes

Seriously!!!

I don’t use Live/Push and I was tempted. Ultimately reminded myself I’m good! All good!

1 Like