No New Gear Year 2023 AKA NGNY 2023

Well, no one else seems to be willing to take the baton for 2023 and it’s already the first day of the year so I felt that someone had to stand up.

The idea is probably familiar to everyone interested. Let’s spend a(nother) year of not buying any musical gear (new or second hand). Last year was a revelation to many of us taking part. Many of us failed spectacularly (myself included) but most of us also learned a lot about our selves and our buying habits. Let’s spend another 365 days of non-consumerist synth hobby and get to know our current gear better. Go deeper, not wider.

I love each and every piece of my setup. In 2023 I promise not to grow my setup any larger but to dive deeper into it and come up with new revelations. Same as last year, if something breaks or is stolen etc, you’re allowed to replace it. And workflow and ergonomy related improvements like cables and racks are allowed (but frowned upon).

Last year I went hardcore on myself and declined from selling anything too and I’m going to be as strict this year too, but it’s up to you if you allow selling of gear.

Who’s up to the challenge?

(Disclaimer/small print: I’m quite a busy book store owner so I don’t probably have time for such hands on management of this group as @Joebas had last year but I’ll check in now and then)

List of people who’ve made the pledge:
Wolf-Rami
joeykaram
midnightoperator94
M-Circus
elxsound
Joebas (sinned january)
Strutter
DelayDude
JoddKnight (sinned February)
michaeljk1963
Annihilation_Squares
protrusion
flos
atlaspark
J1m0t
d4ydream
phaelam
no-thanks
ElectroNot
Kushgremlin
peaceful
Dr.K
sacguy71
MIDI-IN-Kartel
Speldosa
alechko
scarfypedia
Microtribe
FNKSTRNG
Greatexpectations
Haesten
Rokki21
rex_mundii
jeye_musik
KaOsphere
PentalagusMusic
Francis
plainjanefrancis
datarishi
DrOrthogonal
davestasiuk
Gaia.Tree
DonovanDwyer
LyingDalai
blackincali
AphexEscher4422
yoyz2k
Lauli
aloud
Resist
the_duckchild
enju
mncrmo
Fajniarka
Dkstr
jlapthorne
bdqe
LaughingAnimal
subduct
Nils
topo_explo
xcc
Matoshi
djst (sinned january)
joanq
amaury (sinned february)
Martebar
Jedilicious (sinned march)
aizoyurei
gdrv
J-Hz
Hinterlands
Cosmic
UndercoverBrother
OverneathTheSkybridge
rukees
SmurfWrangler
handed
aislado
Drive_In_Theater
Rogier
Xuran

58 Likes

Sign me up - made it until June of last year, then probably bought more gear than any other year.

9 Likes

Sign me up too!

I’ve exhaustingly bought and sold off so much gear the last two years that I feel ready for a challenge like this! A year is a long time for some tempting gear releases but I think I could fend just about any GAS off, especially if I have to come justify it to this thread.

I’m down to just:
MacBook Pro with Live
Op-1 Field
OP-Z (listed for sale)
Bass + guitar.

4 Likes

WTB Prophet 12 hmu

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’m somewhat new to this forum, but think I’ve read every last post of last years thread. It inspired me to start this challenge myself (or rather: mindset reset). I started it in late November, so I’m 35 days or so in at this point. I was simply getting sick and tired of the time and energy I spent considering gear purchases. I realized it was just extreme consumerism. I have enough gear to last me a lifetime already, so it was all getting a bit silly.

Gotta say I’m enjoying it a lot so far.

The only exception I’ve made for myself (except repairs and replacing gear that is broken beyond repair) is that I’m allowed to upgrade Ableton Live, should there be a new version this year.

Besides that, no hardware or software purchases allowed.

So I’m in for 2023. :blush:

5 Likes

I hope you’ll all have me. I’ve got 3 exceptions for the year…

Bought in 2022, but arriving in 2023

• Gen Loss (arriving this week)
  • XPO arriving sometime in 2023 when restocked

Will order in 2023

• Bebe Cherie

I will definitely sell gear that was already set aside earlier in 2022.
The XPO is replacing Mindphaser.
I just really hate the selling process.

Otherwise, I have my core setup I will use for the year.
No need for software purchases or upgrades.

2 Likes

For me NGNY 2022 really taught some important lessons and I came out of it as a new person. Getting a proper DAW that I like using (Logic Pro) and buying a controller that sparks tender emotions everytime I see it (Linnstrument 128) made me realize that I already have everything I need to make complete finished tracks. I’ve got tens of great synths on my computer and tools that a professional sound technician would’ve only dreamt about in the 80s or 90s. The problem of me not being able to finish anything is not gear related but more to do with my attitude and approach.

No piece of gear is going to make me a better producer. But a healthy dose of self discipline just might do that. And self discipline is what this challenge is all about. I’ve always been good at quitting things - I quit smoking cold turkey after 7 years, went vegan just like that and never looked back. So the not buying gear is the easy part of this challenge for myself. The hard part is the amount of work work work it takes to really make a track that you’re proud of and would happily play to your friends.

Good to have so many people on board already and always a great pleasure to see fresh faces here.

21 Likes

I’m so happy, that you are doing this - you were a central figure all the way through last year, and a huge part of the ‘soul’ of the project. Sign me up :raised_hands:

14 Likes

A huge round of applause for you @Joebas. Last year’s thread really made me look at my hobby differently and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Thanks for starting this movement.

For a dude who owns a book store I sure hate consumerism and over consumption. I try to do my best through my store to make people think about their choices and for two years I’ve kept my shop shut on Black Friday. This year Finnish national radio came to interview me for doing that, so it’s kinda gaining some traction. Buy nothing day is once a year. If you ask me, it should be a weekly thing. That’s why it feels good to take part in this challenge for a second year in a row.

Also don’t be too harsh on yourselves. I was full of shame and resentment last July when I failed the challenge, but I bounced back even more dedicated. It’s not the end of the world if you end up buying a dream synth but not buying a new dream synth every second month and then selling it six months later is what this challenge thrives for.

Thinking things through before making a purchase is a good step in the right direction.

25 Likes

Awesome! Count me in!

2 Likes

Sign me up, too. Thanks!

1 Like

Damn, that’s a great move. I really like the message, and I have a feeling, that a lot of people are moving in the direction of depth over spending. Might be a slow shift, but I think something is brewing.

1 Like

Sign me up! I tried it last year… I started off strong… then I folded lol. But, I will say that I absolutely love every piece of gear I have now. I spent 2022 really figuring out what I like and what inspires me…

I made one fatal mistake though. I JUST bought a small Eurorack case which I’ve filled with a few modules. lol

Hoping I can resist the urge to go crazy into the Eurorack rabbit hole!!

2 Likes

That’s rough! Empty spaces are a killer. It’s what got me in 2021.

1 Like

I signed up for NGNY 2022 and failed less than two months later (when a spectacular deal came up on a synth I really wanted). I don’t think I can commit to buying no new gear in 2023, but I have already told my partner, I have no interest in increasing the number of synths I own, so I’ve committed to her that for anything I buy, I have to sell something, to keep the already complex setup I have no more complex. Also, I am not very familiar with selling stuff (and fear getting ripped off), and most of what I might want to sell I might regret later, so all of that might make me avoid buying anything after all. This probably doesn’t qualify as a legit commitment to NGNY 2023, but its a good plateau for me to have either way.

2 Likes

I am participating but there are three caveats. The module that sparked my whole interest and was on my list before I even started modular won’t be available until February, I need a Decksaver for my KSP, and I always reserve the right to purchase any cable I may need. Time goes faster and faster with every passing year so I don’t see myself having any big difficulty sticking to this for one.

6 Likes

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

I’m in! Thanks for doing this.

(The irony/novelty of this being on a gear manufacturer sponsored/themed/endorsed forum still amuses me.)

9 Likes

I’m in! (OT MK3 being the one exception) :joy:

13 Likes

Count me in as well. I have a few things to sell but nothing to buy. Sticking with this gear for 2023:

MPC One
Nymphes
Oto Bit
AH
SSL Six

3 Likes

I’ve generally been pretty good at finishing stuff. A couple of years back I set myself the challenge of releasing three full albums within a year, something I actually managed to pull off. 2022 was however a really slow year for me as far as releases go, so have set myself the goal of finishing my fourth album + monthly two track EPs in 2023. Will be challenging for sure, but not impossible. Will certainly be a lot easier if I don’t have to focus on learning to master new tools in the process… As you say, most of us in this day and age have gear that would make any producer only a few decades ago seriously jealous.

1 Like