Being Last(Or Late to the Party)

To balance things up from my other thread(Being First) i think its only fair to see it from the other side.

So as i see it being late may not bring you instant success but its also a slow burner. Obviously better firmware. Buying cheaper second hand. But more importantly you get to know the equipment better and stand on the shoulders of giants.(like Sezare):).

So being late. Better roadmap than being first?

1 Like

I wasn’t remotely interested in the Volca Sample but now that Pajen hacked the firmware and they’re available for £50 a piece I grabbed a couple of them.

Likewise with the old, unfashionable gear that is still insanely powerful and high quality (like the 90s racks samples with 32 voice polyphony and stacks of outs etc)

2 Likes

Hehe. Never is the final part of the trilogy. Thanks for the idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

A musician is more than the gear that he/she uses.

3 Likes

Being late is where it’s at right now. So much amazing equipment has been released this last decade alone. Stuff that’s not old enough to be called vintage (with associated tax and upkeep costs), has loads of resources dedicated to it and can be found for absolute bargain prices. OG Minilogue, Elektron analog mk1s, original Circuit, etc.

Plus I find I kind of like the feel of gear that’s a little bit worn in. Don’t have to worry as much about keeping it pristine.

3 Likes

I think often it is good to be atleast a bit late to the party so to speak, but things that get new features for years and years can become a bit daunting when showing up late and having everything thrown at you at once.

Completely on your side here. I much prefer buying old gear that has been tested and proven to work (and last). Imo a lot of old stuff is also built somewhat better and still cheaper to acquire.
I’ve been gassing for an M1 or an NS5R for that classic piano sound (no, I don’t want to use a VST) and they’re pretty cheap right now. It would also complement my Yamaha AN1x and my dad’s D50 quite well…

1 Like

Want to sell your Yamaha AN1X? What a great synth.

I really don’t!
My EMX-1 on the other hand… as much as I love it, I haven’t looked at it since I got my OT and PE.

Make music, buy things as and when you need them, don’t worry about product releases.

1 Like

you could also ask this question regarding the stock-market

forgive me my offtopic attitude

anyway… i was late with Elektron and all that stuff

i was probably late with everything - i guess i will have a long life :wink:

Being late to every party (both physical and metaphorical) is my forte. I have so many plans and ideas it inevitably takes months/years/decades for me to realise any of them (if at all).
Plus I’m terrible at remembering last entry times and easily distracted in the immediate pre-party period :slightly_smiling_face: