No New Gear Year 2023 AKA NGNY 2023

This popped up in my YouTube thread today and made me think of this group. Perhaps will resonate with some people.

3 Likes

They make nice stuff. It’s more difficult when you like the equipment and you know the people behind it are good people. It’s a quick way to run out of reasons to say no.

2 Likes

Yes exactly.
I made a little pile of stuff I got to unload, to at least respect my 1 in/1 out rule.
But it feels ambivalent. I’m both very happy with this, it sounds great and ask some focus, but in the other hand it doesn’t add a lot to what I have and I could make without. Which I’ll probably do, in the end.
So it feels like I have broken my pledge for a frivolous thing, somehow…

I should add that I had put money aside to repair my Novation SL61 mk3, but was gently offered the repair. That left me with enough money in the pocket to have this treat…

Foolish me, I’ll be back.

so, this new Analog Heat thing got me a real headache, I’ve wanted to get AH for some time, hearing all the folks talking about “put your DN through AH and whoah it’s a new world”, but lack of compressor was putting me off and I was like “yeah maybe if they add a compressor”.
and now it has not only compressor but whole bunch of fx in addition to the drive, I know I want one.

BUT!
as someone here mentioned: you can always buy it later!
and I almost most certainly will, but not right now. so I’m still participating! :muscle:

7 Likes

Same… It’s very attractive for that purpose!

Maybe hanging back will be good. Wait to see how it works for people in practice, watch any bugs get ironed out, or put a little bit of money away each month so you can buy it with no regrets in January?

If I get time later this year I’ll be exploring the sound design potential of the Digitone, especially towards more analogue sounds which were mentioned on another thread. Plenty for me to keep going with!

2 Likes

Alright, count me out, going through a stressful time which I projected all on my hobbies. It manifested with a huge part of my attention focused on optimizing my setup instead of just making music. And it resulted in me buying two modules for my eurorack.
Haven’t received them, I don’t know if they’re gonna help, but you can be sure I already changed my modulargrid a few times since buying…

5 Likes

Hey, hope you’re getting better sound! Tell me if you ever come here in Rennes :wink:

1 Like

Thanks! And for sure, I’ll bring a box with me :wink:

Am I the only one who feels like that Analog Heat + FX is grossly overpriced for what it is? Like, Teenage Engineering overpriced. Isn’t this effectively a glorified effects pedal? :thinking:

2 Likes

not me…

reasons

if I’d be gathering different pedals/boxes to achieve everything packed into the AHFX I’d be most certainly paying much more with the complexity of multiple boxes, also the whole FLOW thing with rearranging the effects is pretty great, add the modulation capabilities and it’s much more then a glorified pedal imo.
but I don’t have any external effects whatsoever so maybe if you already invested in having some it might not attract you.
also, AHmk2 $800-900… so for not that much you get a lot more.
also, H90 is $900, and imo that’s a glorified pedal. not saying it’s not awesome pedal, but to me AHFX is much more appealing for pretty much the same price range. it’s just ticking so many boxes!

:white_check_mark: compressor
:white_check_mark: bass focus - can be used as shelf eq - pretty cool stuff
:white_check_mark: master filter
:white_check_mark: master eq
:white_check_mark: analog saturation
:white_check_mark: delay/reverb/redux
:white_check_mark: headphones out
:white_check_mark: damn nice screen
:white_check_mark: shitload of modulation

1 Like

Are you using it live on stage? Then I might understand it a bit better. Otherwise, why not just route things into the DAW for infinitely more flexibility? I’m sure I’m missing something but to me it just seems incredibly expensive for a collection of effects and a stereo line out.

1 Like

You might be missing the whole AH part of things (minus the recent FX addition). That is quite something. I have no idea if it can be duplicated to satisfaction in a DAW, because I don’t use one.

[Edit: sorry, I didn’t realize this was the NGNY thread, didn’t want to wave gear in front of people trying to avoid it.]

1 Like

I agree that this is not the correct thread to discuss AHFX, I’ll answer in a hidden text not to clutter

here

since I’ve bought my synths I’ve spent a lot of time figuring out the workflow which would allow me to both be creative and productive in the little time I have to spend on music, I came to synth after many years of never finishing a track in a DAW but when I got the DN I immediately started recording full length tracks.
after many iterations of overbridge and trying to control the synth from ableton with clips I finally found my zen where I fire up my DN and AR, I sketch a pattern on both and when I like it I start ableton with a recording template, hit record and capture a track which is fully wet with the fx I have in the machines. this works great for me and I really like this flow, I do some post processing and some times I will add something like high pass and reverb/delay to create space in a track but I kinda wish I didn’t have to do it in post, I want to have it while recording.
so I can change the workflow again and use plugins but I already tried it and it didn’t work out so great, if I’m using plugins I need monitoring from DAW which means I have to use it every time I want to play something, and that’s not working out for me, using direct monitoring is much better and faster.

so if I had one box which is part of my creative process and I can use it on the analog signal chain - I want it, I can see great benefits for my style of music and what I’m trying to achieve.

it’s not as versatile as plugins that’s for sure, but so is DN compared to operator or Opal or even custom fm synth you can build with bitwig… but I love the workflow of elektrons and the sequencer, and I love that I can create sounds without a DAW, having analog distortion and fx box can be useful both in analog and digital domains for me.

hope it gives you some clarity on why I personally want it and see great value in it, you can also pm me if you have any other questions I might answer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’ll be tons of AH+FX around. If you feel like you must have it in the next few days, that is just GAS. So ignore it. Give it time, evaluate your setup and what it can add to your workflow. And IMPORTANTLY, what it will take away in terms of time taken learning and adapting it in workflow.

And then wait for October/November sales if you can’t hold off for the new year.

6 Likes

It definitely is.
I feel like Elektron missed a huge opportunity to make a small footprint FX box with more effects, scenes and 2xStereo inputs, for the same price of course.
I wouldn’t have resisted that one bit.
At this point a second OT MKI is way more attractive.

2 Likes

So I had a questionable offense with the Opsix modification recently, but now I’m actually out.

My crime

I ordered a Roland S-1 right away.
That thing is too neat.

1 Like

Oh please, let’s not spoil this thread.

11 Likes
Sorry

I just now learned how to hide details.

Hey all, me asking in here was actually deliberate: I genuinely feel it’s an overpriced piece of gear and thought it would help anyone with GAS to hear it. But didn’t realize so many would go in and defend the value and describe it at something that can’t be replaced with DAW effects. :blush: My apologies for going off topic, the intention was to help fight GAS for anyone.

5 Likes

Almost cracked and made a silly large purchase. But going through the online credit process, they wanted my online banking login details in order to verify financials.

Fuck. That.

(For the record, don’t actually need the credit but breaking it into smaller interest free payments was preferable to me in this case).

1 Like