Moog Subharmonicon

https://www.moogmusic.com/news/build-sub-harmonicon-moogfest-2018

I’m guessing this will be some kind of drum machine and bass line generator - an updated Rhythmicon with the sub oscillators from the Trautonium.

2 Likes

“inspired by the Trautonium, the Rythmicon, and the Schillinger System.”

What a heritage there!

1 Like

With the Schillinger System we could be talking some sort of generative music system!

1 Like

http://rcatheremin.com/32rhythmicon.php

1932 Rhythmicon
Who Commissioned This Instrument?

This rhythmicon was commissioned by Charles E. Ives for Nicolas Slonimsky and Henry Cowell. In January of 1932, Ives wrote to Slonimsky about the Rhythmicon, saying, “I sent the remitted check to Mr. Theremin yesterday–and he’s started the building. It will be yours and Henry’s–I just want to help–and sit under its “shadow” on a nice day.”
Who Owned This Instrument?

This rhythmicon was first owned by Nicolas Slonimsky who later sold it to Joseph Schillinger. Schillinger’s widow, Frances, donated it in 1966 to The Smithsonian.

1 Like

With the Rhythmicon in there this definitely sounds like a generative music system

Guv-- You were writing about a collaboration between Casio and Moog? This sounds like it’s the the Casio CT-X (195 world rhythms, and auto-harmonize) married to a Moog synth !!
:rofl:

What do you think? Are you going to Durham?

I dunno man, my buds who texted me from NAMM never updated me on what happened to the Casio-Moog thing. My guess is they had too many beers or something while partying it up then drunk texted me.

This is the only Rhythmicon demo I can find. I can guess as to why Moog would want to add some sub oscillators to the original design - judge for yourself.

3 Likes

What ever it is – Moog has my attention.

3 Likes

Pete Blasser had to redo my crappy soldering job at a synth building workshop, so if I make my way to Durham, I’ll probably skip the workshop.

Sub-Harmonicon I’m guessing will be the pattern generator that will take the DFAM to another level.

Only $1672

That’s the cost of the workshop, which includes the synth.

I forgot the exact price of the DFAM workshop, but do recall it was nearly double the cost of the DFAM by itself.

1 Like

At the end you would have an instrument that you could service yourself for the rest of your life. Probably worth it.

3 Likes

Have they ever had a workshop where they built a synth that didn’t become a full fledged product? Then you’d have a one-off.

To suggest a comparison to the Trautonium, and the Rythmicon, and the Schillinger System is implying classic. (At least to me.)

Apparently the Brother From Another Mother didn’t make it, but I don’t know enough about it to ascertain whether it merely evolved into the DFAM. The pic that I saw of the Brother looks very similar to the DFAM.

Very Rare So that’s always a possibility. This seems like a deal (good long term investment) at $650!

Hopefully “JakoGreyshire” on the other forum will answer my question about the BFAM. This was his first post on the Sub-Harmonicon thread - I suspect the answer is already in there, but will await his confirmation before drawing my own conclusion.

".If the background story for the Sub-Harmonicon is the same as was with the DFAM, then this will probably be a synth that will have revisions added/updated for the public release that will make it better than the Moogfest edition. I reluctantly give this opinion but, I suspect that the moog engineers are normally very busy, and these VIP synths are hastily designed and made for the VIP passholders to act as beta testers… "

1 Like

Moog has released this mockup of the Subharmonicon front panel. (Subject to change.) There are some details but it sounds like it’s still somewhat in flux.

I make effects pedals for a living. Having prototypes you service yourself is not all it’s cracked up to be.

I studied an extra large front panel image like the photo above.

I get a general flavor for this but it’s a bit of a mystery to me as well.

Two oscillators each with two sub-oscillators with mix control. The four sub-oscillators can be controlled with a two parameter four step sequencer. Wrapped around this is a filter and simple envelopes on a vcf and a vca. And the cv control panel for this.

I get some sense of how you could use the short sequencer modifying the sub-oscillators under oscillators notes. (What happens if the sequencers goes into an audio rate?) I’m also getting a hint at some of the tricks you could run. (For instance controlling the filter off the sequencer, or the variable length sequencer steps trick.)

This seems promising!

I’m going to ignore the Trautonium, the Rythmicon, and the Schillinger System verbiage in the marketing spiel – at least for now.

Moog just released the first tunes from the upcoming Subharmonicon, seems that this will be the mother companion who is responsible for the chords::

3 Likes

Very hypnotic demonstration of the Subharmonicon by Loopop from Moogfest.

I guess he couldn’t wait, this demo was done before he even finished the build. Expect some more good demos of this from Loopop soon – plus videos of his build.

Moog is on a streak here with this and the Granny.

6 Likes