MOOG Subharmonicon

There is a difference between practical and perceived limitations. Before I started creating patterns and modulations on the Subharmonicon I read more than a few personal reviews agreeing that it was less of a legitimate instrument as compared to traditional sequencer/synthesizers. All reviewer also agreed there was some sort of magic to the Subharmonicon as well, just that it wasn’t as predictable or controllable as one is normally accustomed to in the digital age. Alas, the Subharmonicon is analog.

I understand music less than I have a biological connection to it. I can feel music through an instrument with an absent mind- it’s not something we have to think about to create. So for me predictability and control are obstacles to living music.

The first thing about the Subharmonicon that reassured me that I would love it, is the reason many reviewers sold theirs- it’s not a DAWish contrivance. It’s a synthesizer which contributes to limitless creativity on a atmospheric level. It’s not a “groovebox”. It is a musical instrument, not a work station. You don’t make the Subharmonicon sing by “work flow”.

I know of general states you can arrive at with the Subharmonicon; droning arp-like notes; smeared colors and feedback; evolving patterns (magic).I believe it requires quality distortion, delay and reverb pedals to reach it’s potential. In it’s own, the Subharmonicon can fit in any jam at varying depths in the mix. It sounds like music.

The first thing I felt when I started understanding the Subharmonicon was deep inspiration. I knew the sounds and music I would generale with it would not be limited by my mind, it would come from the physical side of synthesis, not the intellectual.

With the Digitakt the Subharmonicon provides a river of sample material. It is a great tone to synthesize and modulate with the Elektron Method. As an analog instrument it lends warmth to a Predominantly digital mix. Even the samples seem to retain the same feel.

I currently am spending a lot of time with just the Digitakt and Digitone, and I use a few Subharmonicon samples in my kits.

Over all it does more than you could ever make it do. In this sense it’s a very capable synthesizer requiring a particular touch. I didn’t ever study music, only ever played live with others and learned through the music; listening and feeling. The Subharmonicon for me as a musician allows for inspiration to exceed comprehension.

One could be as fortunate to have music literally come to life, as it does with the Subharmonicon.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Moog Subharmonicon