Moog DFAM

Hi.

Somehow, I want to get velocity from the A4 to the DFAM, I’m not sure how to do it, but I think the DFAM cv input is the one that puts VELOCITY, right?

Hi.

Can you please explain to me a little better how I can do this?
Sorry for my little wisdom about it.

A greeting.

1 Like

Seems that this is not possible. you can’t assign velocity to the CV linear values according to this thread…

So this would be the way to go.

Yes, note that there are two velocity points on the patchbay, you want the one below the trigger in.

1 Like

copied from reply to message from questioner :

Without knowing how the DFAM works or is controllable i can’t offer much insight

However

Presuming your question is appropriate and doable on the Moog

Then there are four lanes of CV control possible on the A4 A/B/C/D

If you want to drive the Moog sequencer then you could use either gates or triggers or clocks from the A4 - chose to suit the moog or the desired sequencing effect - lets just assume you chose clock and Lane C (that way you don’t need to sequence it) - the A4 will send a steady series of pulses, just like Korg or Arturia devices

Now you want to control Pitch and Velocity Dynamics

Then you need to use two more lanes of CV - if you want these pitch and velocity lanes to be concurrent then you need only sequence one track

You just set up a normal CV track sequence and direct the Pitch to Lane A in the CV config and in the CV B config you can either select Value Lin and you will need to parameter lock this per step - or go into the Velocity Mod matrix for the track and chose CVB Value as a destination - then if you record or plock velocity the level of the velocity will vary the voltage at CVB - if your range is 0>5v then be sure to pull the encoder down to 0 on the top page where VAL is shown on Encoder C

Then direct the CVA out to some pitch input and the CVB to a dynamics/VCA/level input on the Moog presuming it has this

hth

4 Likes

the Dfam has a velocity input. The velocity has its own sequencer and is normalized to control the VCA level

it has a also an input for the VCA

1 Like

I haven’t tried, but maybe you could also trigger the Moog clock from one of the A4 audio outputs, with the right sound. That would free up a CV/Gate output for extra modulation on the DFAM. If the sound alone can’t do it then the Bastl Klik would be a cheap solution - or, for a little more, a Doepfer MSY2, which will turn MIDI clock from the A4 into triggers. I expect there are various other options. Feeding the DFAM additional CV is always time well spent - and if that CV is under sequenced, p-locked control, so much the better.

3 Likes

wise words🙂

3 Likes

Hi.

Thank you all for your answers.

I have managed to send everything from the A4 to the DFAM, trigger, pitch and velocity, effectively for the velocity to work, use an A4 cv in the VALUE mode and then use the VALUE IN knob to control the Velocity with P. Locks.
What I am not sure about is whether the voltage values that I am using in the PITCH cv of the A4 are correct, by default these voltages come, Note1= 1.500v and Note2= 10.000v.
Are these voltages correct so that the Pitch of the DFAM behaves in the same way as the Pitch knob of the DFAM itself is shared?

Greetings.

1 Like

More DFAM kicks :

10 Likes

Someone knows where I could purchase EU adapters for my DFAM PSU ? Only got UK and US adapter switches at the moment.

anyone know how well the MD impulse works syncing the dfam as slave?

[edit] got an answer on YouTube. turns out it works very well :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Feeling this one mate. Great job getting the DFAM to sit as the heartbeat rather than dominating the mix. Nice balance.

1 Like

Thanks ! That’s mostly what I use the DFAM for these days, kicks and basslines. it’s really good at it.

1 Like

Hello guys

Question about DFAM sequencer

I´m thinking on get one in the next few days, however, doing some research before buy thing I found something I do not like at all

seems like the DFAM only do 8 steps? no more… but what really freaks me out is that, it can do les?? I mean I could get along with it with max 8 steps IF I could do less, like 3-5-7 steps

soo if the DFAM can´t do that,would be possible to achieve fewer steps patterns using the new OS on the ARmk2??

if not even that is possible then I would have to look at something else, of course I can get an external sequencer like Eloquence etc, but I`m trying to keep my live rig as light as possible… so if I need to add an external sequencer besides the DFAM would be just too much

any insights will be greatly appreciated…

That FM bass is like crack you just can’t stop :skull_and_crossbones:

Yes the onboard sequencer is basic but there are some “hacks” around for poly rythms etc.

Making it longer than 8 steps, probably best to just use another sequencer for that imo.

2 Likes

thanks for your answer

no need for longer sequences, for that I have other stuff, it`s the moog sound in a percussive intrument what interests me, if it is possible to so less, like 3-5-7 steps sequences it´s all I need from DFAM´s sequencer, could you please share a link on those hacks?

thanks again

1 Like

You can have less than 8 steps: patch out and in to restart the sequence at the step of your choice.

2 Likes

… actually … it might be by using advance clock for the ‘dead’ steps.

Hopefully someone with a Drummer in Front of them At the Moment will chime in.

3 Likes

It’s still limited stand alone. The 2 x 8 step internal sequencers are great for stepped looping modulation, but musically way too limited…short repetitive loops with no variance of automated expression gets old quick.

I have a beat step pro and an expert sleepers FH1 controlled from a DT that opens up the DFAM massively…alowing it to swing from distorted drums, noisy snares to Moog synth sounds via cv per step…and all automatable…

ARmkii could be cool for this as well…but only 4 cv outs for a semi modular with that many cv inputs will also feel limited. Saying that my ARmkii controls a sub phatty by cv and it instantly became twice the synth. But that has 4 cv inputs.

DFAMs are great…and I was happy with the internal sequencers for a month…but then needed to explore it’s true potential and with other controllers I’m still finding new stuff.

3 Likes