Moog DFAM

The thing is, it seems limited but there is so much you can do with it than thinking of it as just an 8 step sequencer. Like previously said, you do have routing options to build on this in various ways. The bottom row of 8 knobs aren’t necessarily doing the “trig” or hit, but setting where within that step what sound is being originated from, if that makes since. It is simplistic but it’s done so in a way that can be made much more in-depth with creativity.
All semi modular is like this though. Keep it as simple or go as deep as your mind will take it.

Good luck with your decision.

3 Likes

thanks guys

Ok I will buy it

but now please could you advis on a low budget external sequencer? can¨t spend another 600 in a Eloquence right now, need a cheaper one, DFAM will be an add on to a fairly good live rig. so at least by now the sequencer do not need tobe too fancy, by now just the ability to program polyrhytms would ne enough,

any ideas? thanks again

1 Like

If you want something cheap dfam like get the korg sq1, instant fun. Polyrithms, scales, slides, etc

4 Likes

2nd on the sq-1. tons of fun and way more flexible than you might think for either cv or midi

2 Likes

Here you go mate, this is again limited and I’d add like others have adviced another seq.

1 Like

Query: do you think the dfam would make a more interesting addition to my Microvolt than my Mother to use as a osc bass/atmospheric/drone duo?

I think it would be interesting to see it with the microvolt. Definitely a route I haven’t seen yet. There’s already tons with the Mother.

1 Like

I don’t think I would love always having to use the M3.9k envelope for long phrases. Plus I would miss the Mothers utilities.

Meh. Maybe some other time…

Looks like you have an OT from your most common posts. What about buying a CV.OCD for 8 lanes of MIDI to cv and 12 gates all locked from the OT sequencer ??? Only 5 left…

2 Likes

don´t know if someone has posted this before ?
it´s exactly that thing i wished moog had put in the box ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF6GRCjxO0Y

2 Likes

These are nice but way to expensive, I still think SQ1, or even keystep as better options or cv.ocd as midi/cv converter. I wonder how it makes the sequencer move via adv/clock though…set of fast clock pulses?

i wonder how fast the adv/clock moves…? i use the sq-1 too, but to jump to 1 of the 8 steps “directly” would be really great !

Wow that things looks nuts for the price…

step jump on the sq-1 is so fun

1 Like

i have a cv.ocd and like it. however check the beatstep pro as well. i’m nearly sure it will also midi-to-cv all the channels as well and can be had for $175 fairly often. I have both to maximize my options but in a slimmed down setup the beatstep pro is very tempting as it can convert all those channels but also give me sequencing.

1 Like

fwiw on the cv.ocd it’s notable that the gate output is only 5V, and you need their gate booster to go higher. if you’re looking to use it with vintage synths especially - and not just the DFAM - this could be a concern. just an FYI. :+1:

2 Likes

If you want the eurorack version look for hexinverter mutant brain, is the same

2 Likes

I have the BSP and a expert sleepers FH1 combo for the dfam…and yes highly recommend…didn’t know they were that cheap now though…so fits the brief better maybe.

Nice one,thanks will check!

thanks Shroom, yes I found it on the web yesterday,!

1 Like