Moog DFAM

Strange to say that out of the box it sounds better than any of my elektrons. At least for the sound im always after. Might have to look more into semi-modular stuff like 0-coast etc. No sure about Mother 32 as all the demos ive found on youtube all sound to fluffy and deep. No very techno/industrial-ish.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Problem with OT Thru machine

Received them today. The last 4 hours were extremely fun and impressive.
The sound is just as awesome as I imagined it to be.
And the build quality is outstanding

5 Likes

Last week I built myself a 3 tier rack stand at work for the 2 Mothers and the DFAM. Missus says I’m looking like mad scientist when noodling on that wall of knobs ha ha.

Have fun with moog…

2 Likes

Fun times :slight_smile:

7 Likes

So aphexy. Great job. Assignable random to tempo?

1 Like

Thanks man, aphexy has to be good :slight_smile:
No the assignable output is not used. The velocity of the dfam is patched into the hold of the mother.
And the dfam advance clock is triggered by gates from the A4 sequencer. That’s pretty fun. If you set uneven steps on the A4 the dfam sequence always shifts and never really repeats

3 Likes

Yeah this is super fun with the TR-8S. Changing the active gate steps in the sequencer is a bit like playing with the arpeggiator on the Monomachine.

2 Likes

I realised most of the time I use the DFAM as a sort of complex oscillator/cool sequencer combo to create FM/Bells/Acid tones but yesterday I needed toms and remembered how great it is at it. I love the sound of the noise in this thing, very punchy and it makes for a great tribal feeling when you combine it with other percussion. So here’s the result : DFAM, Lyra 8 and Modular burned in the Analog Heat :

14 Likes

This made me pull out brotherhood of the bomb by technoanimal for a nostalgic listen…
Larvelly work…

3 Likes

@ Adam9 Thank you ! Justin Broadrick latest album as JK Flesh was a big inspiration for this, Scorn as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

sold a Monomachine MK1 for a DFAM and i don’t regret it. i have a Mother 32 too, they both are a great team :slight_smile:

1 Like
3 Likes

Nice, but a bit overpriced at 200?

Whenever I see “family tool” I’m vaguely reminded of “family cloth” :grimacing:

looks interesting

Hi! I have set A4 to send CV clock to DFAM but I can´t get it to restart the seq from step 1 as A4 naturally does. If i push stop in step 5, then when restarted it will start from step 6.
Is this happening to anyone else? i would like it to restart on every play. Any help? Thanks!

The dfam doesn‘t reset.
you have to set it manually to step 8 before you start the A4.
Many complained about this behaviour…
Maybe there are patching workarounds but I don‘t know them. In the muffwiggler dfam thread this is discussed a lot

2 Likes

The DFAM sequencer is analogue, it doesnt know where ‘1’ is. It only knows ‘the next step’. It does not understand the start and stop transport controls of the A4 sequencer that tells the A4 to start at step 1. It requires a control voltage/pulse to tell the sequencer to advance to the next step.
So if you want the DFAM sequencer to play from step 1, first you must manually place the sequencer on step 8, then when it recieves a signal, it will advance to the next step, being step 1.

3 Likes

thanks!