Moog DFAM

I’m completely convinced that the DFAM is a lot of fun to use. Just asking myself for how long. I always hear quite the same range of sounds in the demos. Though they sound great

1 Like

I’ll experiment with the things you have suggested.
I haven’t found a pattern to the behaviour not a way of controlling it.
I’ll let you know if they make any difference to the sounds.

I spotted that but can’t afford any more gear, my DT is next to go out the door…
Thanks though!

1 Like

Regarding syncing with clock out from another unit/sequencer - I have an MFB Urzwerg Pro, which I really like. However, the Clock Out on the UP somehow sends clock in a fashion where, while it operates the DFAM via it’s ADV/Stop jack, the tempo is off on the DFAM vs. the tempo on the UP - the DFAM being faster. But when I use one of the Gate Out jacks on the UP, the DFAM tempo is consistent with the tempo on the UP. So there must be something with the way the UP sends clock, vs. the way the DFAM receives it. I’ve asked Moog and that is their opinion - haven’t heard back from MFB yet. Not being a genius at this stuff, it is a bit odd to me that this would be the case.

So the UP clock out is literally a different tempo to what it’s running internally? Or the clock out triggers ahead of the internal sequencer? Either would be surprising, but would seem to be the likely answer.

Only other thing would be a difference in the clock out signal and the gate out signal. More subdivisions on the clock out? Can you adjust the format of the clock signal on the UP?

Like the 303…always outnumbered , never outgunned !!!

DFAM is a beast. I have one since a few weeks and the kicks this thing generates just smokes my Rytm kicks in all aspects. Such a cool device. The tone of this piece of kit (and Moog in general) is just gorgeous.
I just sold my Digitone and bought a second Mother 32 and the two Mother’s plus the DFAM are the most fun I had in a while.

3 Likes

Moog suggested it related to clock subdivision issues - but I wouldn’t know how to adjust that on the UP. I have the question into MFB, so hopefully will hear something back. The UP sequences things fine - Mopho (Midi), Dark Energy (CV/Gate), and DFAM (Gate for tempo); just weird that it puts out clock/tempo in a fashion that wouldn’t work in a straightforward manner. We’ll see.

that’s why I still consider the mother/dfam combo. the pure sound seems to be so amazing. they stand out for me even in youtube demos

Go for it. It’s awesome. I owned a lot of gear over the years but the 2 x Mother 32 & DFAM is nuts.

1 Like

It very often sounds like an instant Trent Reznor machine to me… Which is a great thing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have an Urzwerg Pro and it has some eccentricities with clock i/o. There was mention on the Muffs thread for the UP at some point. I’m definitely experiencing difficulties syncing the UP via clock easily with other devices, so am currently clocking it via MIDI from an A4.

Manther and DFAM team up well.

I ordered the pair today. Pretty excited, my first moogs :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lovely. I just finished a session and 4 hours flew by like nothing. You’ll love it…

2 Likes

Thats interesting because ive noticed exactly the same thing.

4 Likes

ooh, just in time :slight_smile: Thanks

Just got my dfam today and connect it to my elektron mk2’s…blow away with how good the dfam sounds and how fast you could get something cool coming out. Brilliant for techno.

3 Likes

This seems to be the general first impression… and I certainly won’t disagree :wink:

1 Like