Minilogue XD Module

A slight hump, someone just released a looper for the multiengine! max looptime of 6 seconds

Guessing this will also work on the nutekt :nyan:

2 Likes

Have you played one in person? I dont mean to rag your intention of buying it, its just that I really thought I wanted one until I had my hands on it (with my own headphones on my ears). To me, from the features, it sounds better than it sounds. YMMV

I have no expectations wrt features of this synth. I see it as a microtunable 4-voice version of the Prologue. But does it sound like a Prologue? If it does, I still want one, as I always loved the Prologueā€™s sound.

Do you know if aftertouch, mod-wheel, and pitch-bend can each be assigned to separate parameters and used simultaneously within a single patch?

Cheers!

Sorry, I dont. Must be in the manual somewhere?

Ha! Youā€™d think, but this is Korg weā€™re talking aboutā€¦ :wink:

Cheers!

For the record, as far as I can see, the manual has not been updatedā€”that is to say, thereā€™s no mention of aftertouch whatsoeverā€”so, if anyone knows the answer to my question above, Iā€™d appreciate the user feedbackā€¦ Thanks.

Cheers!

Aftertouch is a recent menu item and can be directed at various parameters. I must admit I keep forgetting itā€™s there since the keyboard doesnā€™t transmit it.
As for the bender, the X-axis of the joystick, it can only do pitch bend. I often disable it because itā€™s real easy to get bend when you just wanted modulation.

The Y-axis can be assigned to different parameters per patch - however this isnā€™t like Korgā€™s joysticks of old which sent CC1 and CC2 and could therefore be easily controlled by an external keyboard. Instead, the CCs vary according to each patch assignment.

The xd also has an unfortunate click from the Multi Engine. I described how to recreate this the day after getting mine and initially Korg said they would fix it. However, they ignore my emails now.
With my usual naivety, I tried to enlist other users to put pressure on them, but many of the comments I got back were about how people liked the click. Ah well.

3 Likes

Thanks, Smoky. This is critical information for me.

I was considering an XD module for use with my LinnStrument. As such, I would need to be able to freely assign velocity, aftertouch, and both X and Y axes to a multitude of parameters simultaneously to make it work for me. But it sounds like that could be a limited and somewhat convoluted process on the XD. I was prepared to hear that.

That said, now that the Hydrasynth has MPE, I might just go that routeā€¦

Cheers!

Itā€™s a nice synth but does have those limitations.
Oh and its envelopes have a linear decay too, but at least they donā€™t do the daft return to zero behaviour of the original Minilogue and Monologues. (I realise by calling that daft Iā€™m asking for it :wink: )

2 Likes

I put two posts over on the Minilogue XD thread for Multi-Engine voices, one for a B3 Organ from 2getherAudio, and the other for a general purpose Physical Modeler from DirtBoxSynth.

The XD Module has been on my list for a while but the proliferation of these various good sounding and inexpensive engines is making getting the XD Module very hard to resist.

3 Likes

Anyone else have 2 additional/random patches at 499 & 500?

201 - 498 are INIT Patches but from new i have those 2 additional mystery patches. Funnily enough theyā€™re the best 2 on the unit.

So big :frowning:

Did u get to this? considering this atm,ā€¦

Unfortunately no, but I still think itā€™s a brilliant setup.
My setup is DT +DN + Typhon + Polyend Tracker
But I still really really like to have a XD

1 Like

My biggest annoyance with the minilogue xd is the lack of audio input. I donā€™t get why the OG minilogue had audio input, when all you had was a filter, but the xd has these lush FX but you canā€™t use them on any external sounds :frowning:
I had hoped the CV inputs were high enough resolution that perhaps they could be updated to be used as audio inputs from firmware but that seem highly unlikely now :frowning:
I know the NTS1 has audio in, but the xd just feels like a huge missed opportunity

2 Likes

Some fellow nauts (auto-corrects to nuts :grinning:) still rocking this synths? Itā€™ll join my jam setup in a few hours, very curious to see how I gel with it.

1 Like

Could not resist this one. Will be buying one tomorrow and I couldnā€™t be more excited!

2 Likes