MD Science Lab: 2 Step

Hi,

so I suppose this is the first Science Lab on Elektronauts.

The rules are simple:

• one Machinedrum
  • one pattern
  • pattern length is 2 steps

everything else is up for grabs… the goal should be to create interesting music within this limitation.

feel free to base your experiments on creative live-tweaking & record the results, or making a pattern which runs by itself & evolves through the use of LFOs, or anything else.

but do not switch patterns, and do not set the length to more than 2 sequencer steps.

maybe if you have a MDUW, also give it a try without touching the ROM/RAM machines…

let’s see what happens until the end of February.

have fun

Hehe, love it.

Gonna get working on it tonight :slight_smile:

wicked! I am in!

2 steps and no pattern changes. You bastard!

I’m in too :zonked:

1 Like

I’m in! Doesn’t look like selling the MD will be that easy :slight_smile:

Half an hour i’m one the MD, and i think i love this lab.
Sorry if my question looks stupid, but i’m new for that kind of xperience. where do we post the result of our labor ? In Media ?

yes, media section will do I guess… but it’s a bit crap tbh, links to the description of files are not possible, only to the direct download…

so definitely post a descriptive description in this thread too!

Been trying this out for a couple hours, it’s much more difficult than I expected. I can only really get 4 to the floor type beats sounding any good so far. Will be interesting to see how far people can push this idea.

Oh wait! Can we sequence mutes in song mode as long as we stick to one pattern??? Or is that cheating.

no song mode lol!

but feel free to play the mutes with your hands :slight_smile:

^^ i was considering the same thing but personally I think that’s kind of cheating as it removes the point of it being a 2 step restriction. with mute programming it’s very easy to get say 16 steps with 8 voices…

what does everyone else think ?

Damn, I knew that would be too easy. Back to the drawing board…

ok void…gotcha.

The only thing I can think of with just 2 steps is half tempo to get a straight kick/snare combo and play everything else manually on top, without sequencer. Let’s see.

hmmm here’s a first experiment…

basically tried to create a varying emerging pattern by using LFOs on VOL and FLTF, but also routing RAM machines out through outputs C/D and patching them back into the inputs for triggering other machines… fun!

i think I made no changes to the pattern and did not even touch the mutes during the recording… but load several different kits which were saved earlier, and twiddled the knobs…

dunno lol… a meandering mess.

[ul]
[li]No ram machines[/li]
[li]No feedback[/li]
[li]No lfos[/li]
[li]NO ELECTRICITY!!![/li]
[/ul]

Lol, j/k. Sounds challenging. Will give it a try tonight

yeah no RAM machines is only for levelling the playing field between MDUW & MD…
let’s say no-RAM equals hard-mode. :imp:

Those are some pretty cool sounding metallic swells there in the last couple of minutes of your track Void.

I’m going to go for a run. Then I’m going to come back and work on this lab project. :alien:

Really liking the sounds Void.

8 Voices?