MD Science Lab: 2 Step

8 Voices?[/quote]
Forget it. Wasn’t thinking straight. I meant to say if you were using 8 tracks for example that 1 of them could be programmed out at 16 steps and a second one at 4.

Not 2 trigs, 2 steps pattern length.

RAM or no RAM???

fixed BPM otherwise halfing the steps and doubling the length … ???

1 Like

live-tweaking the tempo multiplier & BPM for rhythm variations is obviously okay :slight_smile:

the only limitation is the stupidly short pattern length.

the idea is to enforce creative workarounds… maybe some efficient techniques will emerge in the end which can be applied to “normal” programming.

(RAM or no RAM [and maybe ROM]: I’d say it’s up to you, but when posting results and RAM machines were used, please mention it!)

(but no external clock or other MIDI of course! your hands, the machine, 2 steps [and maybe some patch cables])

Played around with this last night: results are very “TWO-stepish” for lack of better words, so I started playing some tracks manually. I used minumum tempo and tried to fill in using rtrigs, delays, etc. Nothing recorded yet, but with some more planning, I should be able to get something decent out of the MD.

EDIT: not that I had this in mind during all the AR hoopla, but after last night the idea that I would ever sell/trade the MD is even more remote!

Awesome lab! I’ll give it a go tomorrow! :slight_smile:

Shit man…that’s awesome!
I really enjoyed that!

Well, I’ve spent about four hours working on this lab project, and I have nothing worth a damn to show for it. Just some buzzy sounds followed by 15 steps of reverb wash. I haven’t been able to create any long evolving pad sounds at all. I’ve been trying to route the sounds back into the INPUT machines too, but that doesn’t seem to do much. Maybe I"m missing some secret techniques or something.

I’ll give a little more time, but unless some magic happens soon, I’m going to move on to greener pastures.

How are you doing that with just 2 steps? Mutes?

Been working on it last night, funny.

Is it kind of battle where we vote at the end for the best submission then the winner makes the rules for the next round (À la OP1 Battles) or just challenge where we share experience we have? This way, I would post short, but more than one result.

imo, not a battle…
basically just a petri dish for enforcing out-of-the-box ideas…

absolutely feel free to post multiple things

I’m in!

Sounds cool, can I play?

Here’s my second attempt. First attempt got a bit too rough. Techno! Fun lab! :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/happyleaguecactus/md-lab-2

Fuck, man, I really like your style! Even this sounds good. Have you released any records by any chance? If not, you should!

Hah! Went straight from working with the lab to listening to some Lumisokea, who is absolutely no doubt using the Machinedrum as well! Recognize so many of those sounds.

thank you, this is really encouraging…
I find your piece also very nice… nice krauty mood, and a completely different approach… :slight_smile:
(I find it hard to even record anything, because in my mind pretty much everything I do is some sort of exercise…know what I mean? so messing about with the elektrons without committing to anything is kinda the easy route haha… but I really do enjoy driving systems into edge cases where they start acting funny…)

thank you, this is really encouraging…
I find your piece also very nice… nice krauty mood, and a completely different approach… :slight_smile:
(I find it hard to even record anything, because in my mind pretty much everything I do is some sort of exercise…know what I mean? so messing about with the elektrons without committing to anything is kinda the easy route haha… but I really do enjoy driving systems into edge cases where they start acting funny…)[/quote]
Haha, I definitely know what you mean. I find that I’m being more productive when just challenging myself to explore certain limited parts of these things. It’s a lot of fun as well. But when I’m sitting down to make “actual music”, oh lord, things get tough. Hehehe.
But then again, exploration can always be a good vantage point for creating say an EP or an album anyway. Just always record! :slight_smile: I think you got a pretty special style that I’d love to hear more of, and I’m pretty sure someone would love to release this. I’d sure do it if I had enough money to invest in say a vinyl release. Some day, some day I’m gonna start a “real” label. :wink:

Loved your track void!

My first experiment turned out quite nice, but I made quite a school boy error… I forgot to save my kit and then moved away to another kit by accident. More recent experiments have all been a bit too “two-steppy”. Anyways, I’m determined to produce something that doesn’t sound so “two-steppy”, so will persevere.

At least I’ve now learned to save kits!

Yesterday I was at my fourth new kit and I moved to another snapshot without saving… ;-l

Nice trick read somewhere.

copy pattern - record live parameters modulation/variation - paste pattern to get back to normal.