Max for Live devices that work with Push 3 Standalone

Thread to track, confirm, and provide information on Max for Live devices that work with Push 3 Standalone in Standalone mode. Please try and keep this thread clean!

Thanks!

General info from Ableton (as of 080223):

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/8506527153308-Push-standalone-Max-for-Live-Device-Compatibility

Fors Kit was updated to work with Push 3 Standalone fairly soon after release of Push 3.

Elisabeth Homeland updated Ableton’s stock LFO for use with Push 3 Standalone.

16 Likes

Granulator “works” but only two pages of 8 parameters, from which a few appear on both pages, are available. Using an instrument rack to assign macros helps.

Edit: can’t load samples on push. You can however map “grab” to a macro and grab a live input from another audio track.

2 Likes

That’s good information because it tells me not to bother until they “fix” it.

For what it’s worth I tried several K-Devices M4L devices I own and had mixed results. I will compile the list and add more details later, but the ones that depend on a graphical interface that consists of more than dials (such as bars or areas to draw in notes, velocity, probability, etc. don’t fully work).

LFO for Push (free)

Edit: Sorry I missed that you had posted it already

2 Likes

That is the same one I listed in the first post in this thread, just via maforlive.com

1 Like

not a bad idea to enter “Push 3” into maxforlive.com’s search function!

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/9253/varispeed-for-live

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/8993/pyr-by-iftah-a-microtonal-string-model

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/8357/sting-by-iftah-a-really-nice-acid-line-generator

There is also a Program Change device for those using P3S with external MIDI gear

(note, I have not personally tested these devices)

1 Like

No biggie. Sorry if I came off harsher than I intended!

1 Like

But you cannot load a sample into Granulator from Push, correct?

1 Like

Nope, you can’t load samples on SA. It’s a bit limited @DaveMech

1 Like

Correct. You can however map “grab” to a macro and grab a live input from another audio track. Good point. Should have mentioned this in my earlier post.

3 Likes

If a device is only missing controller mappings it’s quite easy to configure them by using the live.banks object.

4 Likes

Yep, exactly. I’ve modified a couple of M4L devices this way, and I’m a Max dilettante at best.

I’m curious what the Fors Kit devices look like on Push – the desktop devices use graphical interfaces.

Generic visuals attached to each knob. This is no fault of Fors/Ess.

2 Likes

Is there an example of an M4L device that needed this mod?

As I usually get carried away with “needing to learn it all,” I’ve stayed away from digging into M4L. I also haven’t used too many M4L devices that weren’t created specifically for hardware I have, but Push 3 is likely making me change this.

*and with hopefully a bit of self-control, maybe M4L doesn’t need to be another rabbit hole to fall into?

1 Like

One example is the euclidian sequencer by alkman. I was able to make it work by mapping the controls via the live.banks object.

As long as the author did not make use of some external libraries, most m4l devices I tried just missed the mapping and worked fine.

3 Likes

That seems super cool! Possibilities like this make me really excited to get a Push 3 someday

1 Like

Confirmed CBA’s Gen Los MKII Max 4 Live device works on Push 3 standalone.

Gen Loss MKII is set to Midi Channel 2 by default (info found in the the Midi manual for GLMKII).

4 Likes

I discovered that Encoder Audio’s really nice ‘Mojo’ and ‘Ferro’ - they use IRs to create a cassette (or other device’s) sound- work on Push, both in controller and standalone mode. However, currently there is an issue that they do not expose the controls, which are menus, to select the IR to use and options associated with them. All other parameters are exposed on the Push.

I tried changing these and saving as a preset, which worked well for the controller, but in standalone loading the preset reported an error that it could not find the .axmd file, which was an absolute path to where it was installed on my mac. (Does anyone know how to make this relative?)

update: I’ve worked out an interim solution for using both Mojo and Ferro on the Push in standalone mode. The solution is a little painful to set up, having to create a preset for each different model that I want to use on the Push SA. As I’m sure many of you already know the current process of copying presets to Push SA is pretty rough, in fact you can’t do it, instead you have to copy an entire set with any changes to the M4L plugins contained within the set itself, then once the set is on Push SA a preset for each configuration must be saved. This is painful and once I realised that in between saving each preset I needed to delete the copied M4L plugin on the Push SA, to avoid having a copy for each preset, then worked, with the caveat that I needed to copy the IRData directory explicitly onto the push SA as live does not know that it is a dependency.

Once I’d gone through this process for the presets that I mostly use, which is about 5 for each plugin, then everything is now working great on Push SA. I have access to all the other parameters via live.banks, and they sound great!

1 Like

I confirmed that Volume Buddy works great on Push SA:

It sadly does not show the useful db values, but this is a visual limitation and expected at this point. However, it gain stages the volume of the current group to help hear the impact of effect chain without volume changes getting in the way. it has really useful bypass (1st encoder) that allows you to quickly hear without and without the effect chain.

4 Likes