Manifold - For The Octatrack (iOS App)

So great! Will you be able to use an external usb midi keyboard with slices? That would be a game changer.

Jesus Christ nothing is simple huh? Reading through the how to connect the ipad through the mac to the octatrack is a big WTF?

If you are going through WIFI then it might seem convoluted at first, but if you have a camera kit + usb to midi cable it’s plug and play.

I use an iconnect, plug in OT and IPad, turn on, works…
Gets tricky if you want to customize the routing, but has a good setup out of the box…

I have one of these, and I have an Ipad, camera connect kit and an Imac. I’m assume I need another damn box as well right? Or another cable, or another kit of some sort, LOL. Cause I don’t have enough stuff already, LOL. box

Update out:

• New Modulation Mode: assign parameters to modulation controls and animate them
  • Transport Restart
  • L/R Momentary Sliders will now glide back to 0
  • Minor UI Changes
  • Optimization & Fixes

I find it easiest to just use the “Create” function. I rarely manually assign modulations. Each can hold up to 10 parameters, as I found that adding more would lag the OT.

13 Likes

Freakalicious. This is absolutely insane.

5 Likes

Slice mode almost done:

8 Likes

Is there appreciable latency in slice mode? Couldn’t tell conclusively from the video because your swiping so fast and the slices didn’t have a strong attack and the delay left me wondering if I was hearing delay or latency.

Nice to see bigger keys. I hate using the iPad as a keyboard/drum trigger but sometimes you just have to, and bigger keys makes it a bit more bearable. Previous update has been fab. Great work!

Slice triggering seems immediate as far as I can tell, no lag issues

Dude! This is super cool! The more I watch it, the more excited I am.

Brilliant stuff. If I buy another Octatrack I’ll be purchasing this app immediately after placing my order! :slight_smile:
Between this and @Rusty’s OctaBounce, it might not be too far off…

@mekohler, I’ve had an eye on your apps but have been terrible at pulling in any more income than my living expenses, even though your apps are super affordable I spend all the rest of my money on coffee and cabbages…:joy::joy:. One day I’ll get both your apps, and the awesome apps from @void and @Rusty

For now however, I’m curious how you’ve implemented the slice triggering as you say it’s pretty low latency, if you don’t mind sharing…

1 Like

Like the linked thread mentioned, I just send a CC to change slice then a Note On…I haven’t noticed any timing issues or hiccups like mentioned in that thread though. Maybe the fact that I am sending it over WIFI with iOS lags the messages just enough, not sure yet…I need to play around more, I’m not slicing exact hits or single cycles so maybe there is some lag that I don’t notice.

3 Likes

The only issue I am having is triggering slices does not obey the Pitch value…for Example, if the pitch is at - 1.5 and you trigger Slice 10 using the OT, it will play the correct slice at the correct pitch (obviously)

If I trigger the slice externally by switching to slice 10 and then sending a Note On, it will play the correct Slice but the OT will not play it at the -1.5 pitch. This seems to be a problem with the OT?

I’m thinking to try this app out. I already use an iPad connected an audio/midi interface as my vocal fx processor connected to AB. If I am also sending MIDI from the iPad in this app do you think it would interfere other things happening on the iPad?

1 Like

Should be fine, unless your other app Accepts and Transmits CC’s indiscriminately to MIDI Interfaces

Great! This with An interface and an iPad also full of synths and fx seems to be quite a powerful compact rig! Will download tommorow

This is because the way the OT plays chromatically is by converting the notes played to it to values of that pitch parameter. If you live record the OT’s middle C for example it will lock the pitch to 0.0, if you were to live record a C an octave down it will lock pitch to -12.0, etc…

Basically the notes you send to it override and take control over the pitch value…

Yeah, I guess as long as the pitch is at integer vales you can account for this by transposing the note, which is what I’m doing.

2 Likes

On the mod page, if I assign RATE, and play with the slider, when it moves back to center, it leaves the RATE parameter in a random spot. Not a huge deal, I just reload the part… but I’m sure I’m missing something.