LopoChain v2 - Sample Chains for OSX

Hi

I have updated my utility for creating sample chains.

The goal is to have something visual and easy to use for creating sample chains.

Get it here https://drive.google.com/u/0/uc?id=1huz6LHeNmLxHzXYN7Qj32Y6_l7HWrMp2&export=download

Whats new:

• A bunch of new chain modes, for all sorts of use cases, see below for details
  • Support for Octatrack both in slots and Audio Editor “Create Slice Grid”
  • Support for Digitakt and Model:Samples (beta).
  • Can load more samples than slots to the gui, samples not included in chain will have a reddish background. This should make it easier to load a heap of samples and arrange the chain as you want.

Chain Modes (Rtym, Octatrack, Digitakt and Model:Samples)

• Slots: Each sample will be sized to align on a slot boundary. The best choice if you have a large difference between sample lengths.
  • Equal Slots: Each sample will have the same length in slots. Leftover slots will silent.
  • Equal Slots (Copy): Each sample will have the same length in slots. If possible, copies of samples will be added to the end. Any leftover slots will be silent.
  • One Per Slot (Silence): Each sample will have a length of 1 slot. Unused slots will be silent
  • One Per Slot (Copy): Each sample will have a length of 1 slot. Unused slots will be copies of the samples.

Octatrack Slice Modes

• Slices: Each sample will be the same length in frames.
  • Slices (Silence): Each sample will be one slice long, any extra slices will be silent.
  • Slices (Copy): Each sample will be one slice long, any extra slices will be copies of the samples.

The last two modes will create a chain that can be sliced using the Octatrack Audio Editor “Create Slice Grid” functionality.

This will create a grid of slices with length 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 48 or 64, aligned to sample boundaries.

For slice mode chains, create a slice grid and set SLIC to ON and LEN to SLIC.

For slot mode chains, set SLIC to OFF and LEN to TIME.

Make sure time stretch is OFF.

The Digitakt and Model:Samples support is beta because it hasnt been as tested as thoroughly as the other two modes. Everything I have seen suggests they have the same sample format as Rytm (Mono, 16 bit 48Khz, 120 slots)

Very interested to hear if anyone tries it out, please let me know if it’s not working as you expect.

I’ve also fixed a few bugs, in particular if you make a chain from only a few short samples the padding should be more sensible.

You can get it here: https://drive.google.com/u/0/uc?id=1huz6LHeNmLxHzXYN7Qj32Y6_l7HWrMp2&export=download

Nb: I am not in Apples Developer program so you might get a signing warning.

Screenshot:

Thanks!

34 Likes

Amazing, I’ll play with it now. Another reason to buy the Octa - as if I need any more.

1 Like

Hey @dizzy this is Amazing!!!

I am testing it right now.
The UI is great, simple and easy to understand.
now, it would be great if you can add an option for audio edits, such as Sample start, length, Normalise, pitch, Reverse…

I will pay for this.

thank you

1 Like

updates looks great, previous version worked on 10.14.6
this time around i get “LopoChain is damaged and can’t be opened” message.

1 Like

This looks rad, will give it a try later

1 Like

Thank you I’m glad you like it!

Those are good ideas and I would like to see them too, it’s really just a question of spare time for me unfortunately, and I kinda have to move on to other things for now.

Overall I feel like theres always going to be way better sample editors than anything I can do in a reasonable amount of time.

There is a normalize option in the advanced settings as well but thats about it for sample specific features. If it’s selected each sample will be normalized post any audio rate and stereo/mono conversion.

Thank you for letting me know. There is a fixed version here https://drive.google.com/u/0/uc?id=1huz6LHeNmLxHzXYN7Qj32Y6_l7HWrMp2&export=download

You will still get the signed by unknown developer warning, but if you cmd click/right click and select open you will get an option to open it anyway.

If you still have issues there are some commands you can run from Terminal.app which are all detailed here https://www.techjunkie.com/gatekeeper-macos-sierra/ let me know if you have any issues.

What happened is the app has a few config files it uses internally to track prefs (chain settings in advanced), which get saved when you exit. I built the app and ran it to take the screen shot, I changed some settings which meant the saved config file didnt match the one it was first built with so it was giving you that error.

So glad you said something otherwise I would’ve had no idea!

1 Like

working. :+1: cheers

1 Like

Can’t wait to try this for my Rytm.

1 Like

Is this still being developed? I only just discovered it. it would be great to be able to trim sample length inside this app…

I’m not actively working on new features, but I will probably revisit it again at some stage in the future and am open to suggestions. It will likely be a while before another version comes out though.

It’s not really meant to be a sample editing tool but I think some basic editing features like envelopes, trim, start/end etc could be fun to add in.

5 Likes

Just discovered this! Thanks for making this! Simple to use and works just fine.

A clear all samples from the window would be really useful and also setting end point of the sample/s.

1 Like

This is awsome. Thanks for this gem.
I wads wondering, would it be possible to do a version to add cue points of the slices to the final wav? ( i’m a 1010 bitbox and er 301 user, and this would be incredible to not manually add cue point on reaper)
Cheers

1 Like

Awesome tool!

Thank you making and sharing it @dizzy :content:

1 Like

i used this for some drum chains for a beat battle recently, the seamless switch to 120 spots for rytm is great and comes recommended for all rytm users and of course other elektron devices.

great app!

1 Like

Hey thanks y’all, I have a lot on my plate right now so unlikely I’ll be doing anything on it any time soon, but really love to hear peoples ideas or just thats its being useful.

1 Like

Is this app the best way to create sample chains for the DT on MacOS?

Wow, never seen this before, looks awesome.

No pressure of course, but it’d be really cool if this was open sourced in some way! I’ve got some Apple dev skills and would love to contribute to maintaining it. And also, it always helps if one can read the code before deciding to run arbitrary binaries on one’s computer :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Any reason why i can’t load any .WAV in the app? they’re all 44.1Khz/16bits though.
If i drag & drop, nothing happens. If i try load from the app button, all my .WAV files are greyed.

Also i’m on Macbook M1 and when left open the app makes my processor heating 10 degrees more (don’t really know why).
The “about” section mentions it is V1 and not V2 although i downloaded it from https://drive.google.com/u/0/uc?id=1huz6LHeNmLxHzXYN7Qj32Y6_l7HWrMp2&export=download
I’m on Ventura 13.3.

It could just not work that great on arm unfortunately.

It’s built using openFrameworks, so it could be cross platform and work on mobile as well. But it turns out I never got round to that.

openFrameworks uses OpenGL, which is dead in general and particular dead on MacOS, argh. So on arm its running virtualized OpenGL which is going to suck or at least not be great.

I am right now and for the next six months at least completely smashed with my day job and other stuff, i literally have cobwebs on my music gear :pensive:

I’m not overly keen on open sourcing it for a few reasons, mostly cause some of it is a bit rough but there’s other reasons too I won’t go into.

Im general i’d be open to collabs but i just dont really have the capacity to take on any new projects rn unfortunately. The best thing for it would to use MacOS native UI and audio streams but that would be a pretty extensive rewrite so a lot of work and ugh.

Theres a few alternatives:

and I coulda sworn theres another one by craig maybe but I cant find its thread.

The only differences across the devices are 120 vs 128 slots, and mono (not OT) vs stereo (OT) and sample rates. I think the machines can handle any reasonable sample rate/bit depth they just convert them internally.