Logic Pro X + Overbridge + Digi´s

In the overbridge plugin, have you selected a multi-output version of it (it’ll be something like 4 mono tracks, one stereo. EDIT just checked, I use Multi-output 1 x stereo, 5 x mono)? If it’s just the stereo version you’ll only get the main stereo out, but you can select other versions when you add the plugin to the track.

I’d probably recommend starting from scratch to start with, adapting an AR template for the A4 may work, but if you start from scratch you’ll figure out how all the routing works and be able to create a template that works for your own workflow. The method I outlined for the DT works just the same for the A4, you just have fewer tracks to work with

Have you changed the routing in the A4?

thanks for reply - I managed to build one up from the ground yesterday based on what I’d figured and got it all working lovely - apart from the Audio Summing Strack to mute (the Aux Sum Stack worked fine)… I could record all 4 Tracks Dry or/and Stereo sum with FX… saved as Logic Template - started up today and Logic asks if I want to use A42 (BIt Accurate) whereas I had selected A42 Core Audio (I have the same as you - 1 X Stereo / 5 mono) and then it’s all broken - the Aux racks have ‘No Output in the Sum Stack’ and all the busses are wrongly assigned… my brain hurts!

@spikysimon and I found this video really simplified it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayn_rMERatw&ab_channel=fusionidHM

Glad you got it working! Figuring it out is a head scratcher for sure, but once you’ve got it up and running it’s pretty amazing I think.

Every so often I think I’ve sussed it… and then I break it…!! (and then I go back to your file - examine it and rebuild - and that old YT vid works too) - all saved as different templates saying what works and what doesn’t … empirical knowledge.
I have used Logic for as long as it’s been around - but only to do what I need to do with my previous set up which all worked lovingly - and I avoided Bussing / Auxing anything other than FX Sends for all my external midi devices. I’ll continue to persevere as the A42 is so different to my workflow since mid 80s! I love it as a DAWless sketch pad.
Thank you for all your help.

1 Like

Thanks to Spiky Simon for directing me to this thread, im a little lost as not played with OB and Logic since the very original OB launch and I didnt persevere with it back then

A few Qs if I may

1. You can no longer disable the main L & R outs via the OB control panel as per the MKI A4 and Rtym (this has thrown me trying to setup my Digi tracks since the main outs appear present in Logic with this change). If im correct you now do this on the physical units?

2. I managed to setup individual tracks finally in Logic but why is Logic output quieter regarding individual outs vs Main Outs? I would assume would be the same output levels. Is this due to the FX track missing on the individual tracks (adding gain and other FX) I have yet to add the FX track - will this solve the problem?

3. If I read correctly you reroute the FX track to the main outs via the unit. Therefore this will be reflected on the Logic Main Out Track

If you want to get the FX separate, and don’t want the main L/R outputs to have the main output mix, go to Settings->Audio Routing on the DT, and you can switch off sending all of the audio tracks to the main output by hitting the trig buttons (they will turn from green to red). Then the main stereo output will only have the FX, while the individual tracks are still getting sent to their own channels (this is explained further up this thread).

I spent a solid 8 hours getting a Digitone Overbridge Logic Pro template sorted thanks to all the help on here. Separate audio outs for tracks 1-4, the external ins, and the FX. all working fine.

MIDI notes from Logic to the DN tracks also working fine.

One big issue though:
Recording automation using the DN hardware into Logic is not working fluidly. I have to “Learn” a mapping from the knob as a CC back onto itself in the plugin… sending CC out of the DN to Logic to map to its own parameter in the GUI. this works sometimes, but other times the control jumps all over the place and it seems insane complex. Enabling Latch mode and adjusting (for example) Track 1 Filterr Cutoff with the mouse writes automation just fine, but turning the physical knob, though it sonically adjusts the cutoff and I can see the GUI reacting, causes no automation to be written.

I feel I’m sooooo close to this awesome setup, I’m hoping I’m just missing a couple of simple things.

I hopped over to Ableton and it worked much nicer [using the VST]- just enable Session Record, Automation Arm, and MIDI overdub, and hit record. Simple. No mapping required.

Am I missing something on the Logic side? Is the issue with the audio unit Digitone plugin?

Fingers crossed theres a 'naut out there who has automated parameters with ease using the DN knobs :slight_smile:

Cheers
P

So the issue is you are probably routing back onto itself as you are recording. So you get crazy erratic automation curves.

I used to have that BAD.

Make an external instrument track, add ab external inst inset and set it to the desired channel on the DN. Set to Touch and record your knob movements. I make one for each parameter I want to record.

Note: I may be totally wrong. I haven’t had to mess with that for some time. But it werks. Lemme know if you get it going, if not I’ll
poke around. It should be super simple.

I just set that up and recorded the automation from the DN.

you in Overbridge or USB/MIDI setting?
if yer trying to do that for the audio tracks you gotta set em to Encoder Destination: INT+EXT or EXT

on this one I have one set to record for Delay settings and the other is for B Ratio

1 Like

Thanks mate,
This is not really what I am looking to record - I see from this that you are recording the CC’s being transmitted from the Digitone onto the MIDI tracks, but what I am looking to do is capture automation of the plugin parameters, thereby having the parameter names come from the plugin just like any other plugin.

You can see that I got it to work for a few parameters, but it eventually bombs out and I can only automate my drawing in the curves or mapping.a different.controller (novation launch key in my case) to those parameters.

It’s so much nicer having the actual plugin parameters visible on the track like this, and it is how all other soft synths work - I think this is how Elektron intent it to work also, as it is like this in Ableton (though it bombs out after a while also)…

1 Like

Overbridge right?

Well that didn’t werk. You could NOT record automation of the plugin. What was experienced was the plugin automation fighting with the static position of the parameters on the box.

But then they fixed that a few revs ago. But you could only record vst or cc. Or else you’d get the conflict again. BUT THEY FIXED THAT. I was recording automation from the vst AND cc of the same parameter. You could use knobs and/or vst.

But I haven’t test that in the A revs. But it werked prior. I’ll check to see if that’s good still over here

Is that what yer after?

Has anyone ever been able to figure out the recording delay? Mine always seems to be delayed by like 3/4 of a measure (4 bars). Sorry if this is a dumb question but I’m new to OB/Digitakt :slight_smile:

Hi,

this is my situation, but you can record the parameters automation as the pic, but with the other channel voices of your elektron hardware?

with my AF I can write the parameters like your pic but only for 1 track and not for the other 3 tracks.

thx

Hey I am also in the same boat – I can’t get the fx to show up for aux 9. Can you be as specific as possible describing how you routed the wet?

I’ve just recorded a tutorial on my preferred way to configure Overbridge and route the audio within Logic so that you can record each individual track to audio regions, including the internal FX on the main track and the external inputs. Hope this helps some people (@aquinas you inspired me to record it so thank you!) :

6 Likes

this is amazing thank you so much!

1 Like

Me: I followed your instructions (on a digitone) and it works but whenever I try to record the sounds all sound bit crushed or super phased or something, any clue what this could be caused by?

Dave: I’m sorry Zamai, I can’t think why that would be. The only thing that might come to mind is if you’re monitoring the sound of the Digitone through the tracks in Logic and through some other means at the same time. The slightly different delay between the two methods of monitoring might be causing some phase cancellation issues which might be what you’re hearing. I’d recommend visiting the Elektronauts forums and see if anyone can help you with your specific problem.

Now me: I feel like this is exactly what is happening but I don’t know how to solve it, can anyone help? I turned all other monitoring off but it doesn’t help. It only does it after trying to record. Before I try to record it sounds normal. PLEASE I am so close.

Weniger anzeigen

Logic 10.6? Maybe the same issue as this thread.

1 Like