Korg Wavestate

Those knobs are really just macros, they will do whatever you program them to do. I agree that a lot of the presets don’t seem to use them. They’re potentially useful though.

1 Like

Thank you.

Just feels a little underwhelming initially.

I wish there were more demos like that. It’s different from all endless pop-ambient/new-age sets on Youtube. And I like the versatility and unusual way of modulation. It’s not the usual filter cutoff or wavetable position tweaking, it’s something in between and different from both. It’s interesting how they achieved so organic sound from “static plastic” samples.

I wish there were also AM/FM/Ringmod modulations to samples, but it’s too much to ask…

Just made a little video using the wavestate alone…Great instrument to me !
For fans of mindless noodling ! :slight_smile:

I owned a WS, sold it found the sounds pretty unusable. Bought a Modwave and that is a completely different beast now with WT/Multi sample import etc The Presets are terrible though on both the WS and MW, over egged with motion controls, sequencer lanes and FX, all over the top IMHO

1 Like

Korg Motion Sequencer is insanely well done and deeply complex, way more complex than my Elektron machines can sequence.

The editor was a great but in the end I still found it too much to cope with. Sold it after a few weeks.

Stumbled upon this improvisation on Wavestate. Thollem is a trained classical pianist who later got into free jazz.

Free jazz. Free improv. You’ve been warned

5 Likes

2 Likes

Actually pretty amazing stuff, this (to my ears) convincingly sounds like New Complexity music

1 Like

Sounds like Zwölftonmusik, but with added random freestyle hammering.
I’m to simple for that, can’t dance to it.

1 Like

Starting to move past the bantering stage to the do I want to buy this stage. So I’m checking out Dr. Metlay’s series of detailed walkthough vids.

Most of Pt.2 is a walkthrough programming just one lane. Note that this was all before the 2.0 update - and obviously before the release of the software editor - but a lot of this should still be relevant.

1 Like

They just announced the VST version for $149…

1 Like

That is correct. Under discussion here: Korg releases wavestate native and opsix native

This thread was created to discuss the hardware Wavestate, and I believe it should remain a separate thread.

Wasn’t trying to hijack the thread with it, just saw you’re toying with the idea of buying, and thought you might want to know if you didn’t already. Just trying to be helpful mate.

Mods, Feel free to delete my post if it’s causing anyone issues…

Oh yeah I knew about it. It’s a valid option for some people.

The other thread also reveals that there is a discount price for hardware owners. Thus, I would prefer the hardware plus the discounted plugin over the plugin.

Thank you for trying to help.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m trying to find my ‘coupon’, nothing in my account at the moment.

You’ll get it thru Wavestate librarian 2.10 only.

2 Likes

Nice, thanks for the heads up.

Interesting sound pack from Marc Barnes. Nice variety too, from trancey stuff to synthwave, etc.

Volume 9 features brand new multisamples from the, Arturia Matrixbrute, Behringer 2600, Dreadbox Erebus, Hammond Organ, Korg Minologue XD, Kurzweil K2000R, Moog Grandmother, Roland AX Edge and Roland Tr8. It also features some recorded vocals from my wife Cheryl.

I’d also like to thank my good friend Thorsten Heinze for providing the waveforms from the Matrixbrute and the Behringer 2600.

Disclaimer about multi-samples. Most of the multi-samples (with a few exceptions) have been constructed to be played in the range of the wavestate keyboard. If you play very high notes you might experience aliasing and noticeable looping.

Another area that interests me is using Wavestate to create parts. While it is impossible to export the generated wave sequences as MIDI (the sample switching bits anyway) it’s still useful to play around to get something interesting, record it, then recreate it by ear on a more drum focused piece of gear.

1 Like