KORG Module
TuneCore (discount coupon)
Ozone Elements
free 3 month trial of Skoove Premium
M1 Le
AAS Lounge Lizard Session, Ultra Analog Session,Strum Session
Reason Plus 90-day extended trial
UVI Digital Synsations

One of my plans down the road for the Wavestate has been to use Sample Robot or other auto sampler like Mainstage, MPC Live 2, or whatever to make multi-samples of my Matriarch and load those into the Wavestate.

Well, this guy beat me to it.

wow how did i just hear about the user sample optionā€¦ i want to run out and buy one right now and throw my blofeld in the trash!

1 Like

'cuz they snuck it in along the way.

Itā€™s your call, but Wavestate is not a wavetable synth unlike the Blofeld.

Korg Modwave can also load user samples as of 1.1 and it is a wavetable synth

2 Likes

i actually only bought the blofeld to load samples into it, everything else was secondary! interesting about the modwave though, iā€™ll look into that too.

I went back and forth between Wavestate and Modwave, then decided not to buy eitherā€¦ until a friend of mine reminded me that both of them are a low-cost hardware sample player for user samples, with 4GB capacity.

I went with Wavestate because Wave Sequencing 2.0 appealed to me more for generating beats and riffs, than wavetable synthesis - nothing wrong with wavetable synths of course.

While Korg did give us the Sample Builder app for converting samples to Wavestate/Modwave format, this app does not do auto sampling. Loopop recommended MPC Beats, Sample Robot, or Mainstage as auto sampling tools.

Yes Iā€™ve been watching those loopop videos. I think Renoise has an auto sampler function too, so maybe iā€™ll finally get some use out of that license hahaha.

I also donā€™t really care that much about wavetable synthesis in hardware, and Iā€™ve got it more than covered by software stuff anyway. Iā€™ve lusted after the Nord Wave for a long time and the Wavestate seems to tick a lot of the boxes, though no ā€œrealā€ synthesis of course.

The Blofeld is nice in theory but I bought it a few years ago and can count the number of times Iā€™ve used it on one hand, the interface is so lacking for my needs and the sample management so poor it just pushed me towards the computer anyway. The Wavestate also seems to overcome all these issues.

So far a lot of the fun for me is playing something on the keys to get wave sequences started, then holding down a damper pedal so they keep on playing, then tweaking the 8 Mod knobs.

Iā€™ll probably buy the Berlin School performance and sound set and some of the Mark Barnes ones and play with those before starting to dig into editing wave sequences.

Iā€™ll probably use it as a boring regular multisample player too at some point.

I havenā€™t tried the Dice button yet.

Man this thing is a bastard to get going on Win10! Librarian works but no usb midi :ā€™(

Any Wavestate users know if itā€™s possible to turn layers on and off via MIDI CC? Just figured out a fun patch that would really benefit from this. I can do I think with Volume settings but ideally would like the double-tap-to-mute functionality of the front panel as MIDI CC.

Took a punt on one of these, fingers crossed the synths complexity wonā€™t be too painful for my small brain. Iā€™m hoping the randomizer button will serve as a decent get out of jail card.

The editor software makes a big difference to ease the programming.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I should probably download that in anticipation. I like the idea of chucking loads of extraneous synth noodles into the wavestate, is it fussy about length of samples?

As a test once I created a multisample with a bunch of 8 bar loops which worked fine.

Have to say I found the randomise feature pretty useless.

I guess thereā€™s an element of luck involved. I like the way you can randomise selected parameters. hopefully I will find it useful.

1 Like

I hope you do find it useful.

But I suppose what I should have said is donā€™t look to the randomise function to replace proper programming. I no longer have a Wavestate, as I simply didnā€™t have the time or energy to learn how to use it properly. But itā€™s an incredible machine if you can harness that power. Personally I think it sounds as good as something like the Quantum/Iridium ( in the right hands )

I bought a Wavestation EX in 92 and they were notoriously difficult to program (supposedly) but I got to grips with it just fine. I was 19 then and had all the time and energy to learn that thing.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy using and learning to program the Wavestate.

4 Likes

It arrived today, still have a lot to learn but i really dig the overall sound and I found the navigation intuitive. i was able to use the randomizer to decent effect. Itā€™s fast and being able to hold the button down while selecting the parameter you want to randomize is so fast and perfect. The element of surprise is inspiring to work with.

My unit does have an issue, the power does not switch off unless I physically remove the PSU. I assume thatā€™s not right?

Press longer, itā€™s not a switch.

1 Like