Korg Wavestate

I would imagine the Modwave, being a purpose-designed wavetable synth, would be more comparable to a Hydrasynth, which is also a wavetable synth.

Wavestate is a different kind of synth.

Perhaps this discussion can help clear things up
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/hhtl44/wave_sequencing_vs_sampling_vs_wavetables_vs/

1 Like

Ok, $250 less. :sob:

1 Like

This is the kind of video that really makes me want a Wavestate one day

3 Likes

If you think Hydrasynth will meet your needs, go for it. Jukka is Mr. Hydrasynth.

To me itā€™s a very different synth compared to Wavestate. Maybe that does not matter to you.

I think weā€™re in agreement that theyā€™re different.

The Wavesnake is really a great synth !

I believe obscurerobot is talking about the relative price, and i am talking about the quality of the keybed, and you are talking about the two being different. I at least, think what weā€™ve all said is on topic, on the money and worth saying once.

2 Likes

The second, part iā€™d say absolutely they make a good combination. Thereā€™s a very nice contrast possible, for instance laying a bed of floating ambience with the Wavestate, and a lead from the A4 over that, or drums from the A4, with something spicier from the WS. Theyā€™re both so versatile there are oceans of possibilities between the two.

Anyone else here who can answer the first part on CC control of the WS.

1 Like

The wavestate does allow control by MIDI CC message. The list of permissible CC messages is given in the MIDI implementation chart at the back of the manual.

The method for their use is a little different to some other synths, in that the way to use most CCs is to assign a CC number to a Mod Knob for the Performance or Layer that you are working on; see pages 78 and 79 of the manual.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback signal!! Ah, so this is how it works, so it wasnā€™t entirely conclusive when I saw the implementation list. So I can control everything including cutoff etc. with the OT, thatā€™s perfect.

1 Like

What weā€™re all touching on is prioritization. These are all legit priorities to consider:

• Keybed quality
  • Price
  • Wave sequencing capability/features
  • Wavetable capability/features

Seems price is his highest priority. Wave sequencing vs wavetable appears to be lowest priority. If keybed is his second highest priority, then Hydrasynth looks like the best candidate for him.

I like the analogies used in the Reddit thread to explain wave sequencing vs wavetable. One is like creating a movie by flipping through photos. The other is like choosing colors from pixels in one photo, and making a painting with those pixels.

2 Likes

Just bought another one. Ā£485 at Juno

Had one very briefly back in May but I wasnā€™t in the right frame of mind to give it the attention it needed.

But on both occasions I have to give credit to @sinkingfeeling

Your demos have been the prevailing factor in me getting one.

Cheers for that.

1 Like

Thanks for kind words! Iā€™m a big Wavestate fan. Incredible synth imho.

1 Like

There is another consideration when comparing the Wavestate to the Hydrasynth. Sound. To me the Wavestate sounds fuller. I really wanted to like the Hydrasynth because it has so many programming options but I could not get past that thin sound.

Youā€™re welcome!

1 Like

I donā€™t want to go too far off topic, and agree prioritization is key here.

My original point was just that it is possible to ship a powerful synth with a poly-AT keybed for less than what Korg is charging for the Wavestate/Modwave/OPSIX (is there a better term for this trio?). But thatā€™s unfair to Korg - Korg has many different product lines and categories, all carefully tailored around Korgā€™s understanding of market need. ASM, on the other hand, has an awesome synth engine and is working on product-market fit for the actual hardware.

My guess is that when the Wavestate/Modwave product managers take a careful look at Hydrasynth, the only practical option they will have is to release cost-reduced modules. Lopping off the keybed may only save a dollar or two in COGS, but from a shipping and warehousing perspective, smaller and lighter packages can be a big win, particularly when TEUs are at a premium and cargo ships are chillinā€™ off of LA.

It is only a matter of time before I buy at least one of the Hydrasynths (either a desktop or explorer now and then a big keyboard later, or maybe Iā€™ll just wait) and all three of these Korgs. Each one is interesting enough to own in addition to the others.

1 Like

ASM was able to develop a poly-AT keybed because their parent company Medeli was willing to provide all the resources they needed (funding, factory equipment, etc.).

That said, I agree that there is a demand for keyboard-less modules that Korg seems to be underestimating. If I were to get a Wavestate, I wouldnā€™t play it like Iā€™d play a piano.

This is so beautifully Korggy! :slight_smile:

I think itā€™s ASM thatā€™s the outlier, not Korg. Their Medelli connection makes AT-equipped keyboards a lot cheaper for them, I bet.
anyway, I understand Korgā€™s decisions, but the Wavestate is an instrument I really want to play on a nice keyboard instead of a crappy, short one. If I had a good MIDI keyboard Iā€™d just keep it wired to that.

1 Like

Imagine a Korg Wavestate with the modulation lanes and sequencer lanes handled by Elektron. Thatā€™d be an unstoppable monster!

2 Likes

Justā€¦Noā€¦20 years old sequencer with two steps program change delay, 64 steps, one direction is not what we need anymoreā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

Curious about something.

Just going through the presets but iā€™ve noticed that the Performance/Mod knobs donā€™t seem to do much at all. The WS is obviously a very hands on synth, with loads of options for movement & modulation but from a default state it seems the controls donā€™t do very much.

Am i missing something or are the presets just a bit basic?