Korg OPSIX

cool! thanks for picking them up.

there’s 6 tracks of parameter sequencing on the OPSIX separate from the note sequencer. they can be synced to key strikes or free running. it’s a lot of extra modulation.

I’m working on a cheat sheet for those lanes with destinations and values. will post it when it’s done.

1 Like

Okay, I think I understand. (I’m clearly in need of reading my Opsix manual.) Is a motion sequence parameterizable – like, does it respond to my key presses while it’s playing – or is it more like a fixed recording of values at certain points in time?

These sound really cool but they remind me I need to get into the wild ends of FM on this thing. I keep trying to coax warmer soft sounds out of it, and it’s great at that too, but it could also sound so alien and extradimensional.
Good job!

By the way, I like the skelly man you have as profile art! I think it suits your style and FM synthesis. Is it from something or original?

1 Like

the motion sequence is like a complex LFO. it can either start when you strike a key and then loop or it’s alway looping. it’s kind of of like an arpeggiator for control parameters.

you can record them in live or program the amount per step, up to 16 steps.

there are some wild destinations too, like the algo, arp rate, LFO pattern/speed or even the pattern tempo.

2 Likes

thanks alot!

I’ve always been drawn to the alien type sounds that FM is good at but you are right, the OPSIX can do warm, traditional sounds really well. there are some softer pad sounds in the soundset that I really like and the FX can sounds super lush.

the skeleton is from some lo-res file I found on the internet. he was like typing on a cell phone and laughing. I made it more 8-bit for some stickers I made to slap around town.

1 Like

swing can be modulated too, iirc. this thing just has so many of the options i would want to add if i built a synth. it really is genius. kind of what i imaged the hydra would be when i heard people praise it before buying one

the saw and square waves in particular also have such a great heavy organic/beefy timbre that i really love for va. was not expecting that from this synth. its so much better than i had anticipated. im really glad i gave this one a shot

these are great btw. love all of your opsix videos, keep it up

4 Likes

I checked out your yt channel and while I like the whole thing, the second part of this track (where you used TATAT) is blowing me away:

1 Like

thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to at least inspire people to go deeper with this synth because it really can do so much if you push it.

funny you mention the Hydrasynth because I bought a desktop and then ordered an OPSIX a week later so I could compare and keep my favorite. after I turned on the OPSIX I never went back to the Hydra, OPSIX just does practically everything I need from a synth. can’t believe they discontinued it.

3 Likes

yeah, everything really came together at the end. makes me wonder what a flagship Elektron FM box could do???

3 Likes

I made a hardware demo live tweaking some sequencer patches. added some circuit bent visuals a friend of mine made.

The Big OPSIX Sequencer Video | Hardware Version (no talking/flashing lights)

13 Likes

If I heard this without knowing it’s the Opsix, I’d have assumed you were performing on some kind of sprawling modular setup.

2 Likes

I am learning that Opsix has a pretty powerful patch matrix in addition to the six operators. Lots of modulation opportunities. Just not as visible as, say, Mi*freak’s.

2 Likes

I started a thread over in the Digitone forum about this, but it occurred to me that my issue is probably more related to the Opsix and its peculiar implementation of a local control toggle:

For some reason, when you turn off local control on the Opsix, it also turns off local control for the operator level faders and ratio knobs. Is there any way (I couldn’t find anything in the manual) to change that behavior on the Korg side? If not, is there a way on the Digi family to feed incoming MIDI CCs back out like the Opsix seems to be expecting?

At long last, I was finally able to resolve the Korg Opsix driver discrepancy, connect to my computer and upload the percussion sound pack to my device.

This was the post that helped me accomplish this

1 Like

i had this issue too. i dont remember much of a problem connecting the first time, but i was trying to back up patches earlier this week and it wouldnt connect to the librarian. this solved my problem:

[https://www.reddit.com/r/Korg/comments/ulkkov/opsix_will_not_connect_to_my_computer/]

-Devmgmt
-Set SYS>USB Network to RNDIS (or try switching between the two and power cycling)
-in Device Mgr, open “Network Adapter” dropdown
-go to “USB RNDIS Adapter” and right click
-Update Driver, Browse my computer for drivers, Let Me Pick, Select “Microsoft” as manufacturer then select “USB RNDIS ADAPTER”, click “ok” or “yes” on warning screen to proceed and the Opsix Librarian should now recognize device
[Scan For Hardware Changes if the NCM or RNDIs usb Adapter isnt showing up under Network Adapters]

And you can stack up to six of them, hoover galore!

2 Likes

I don’t think I’m aware of another digital polysynth that can do what this thing does. The custom routing algorithms are unreal for sound design.

I was skimming through Andy Farnell’s “Designing Sound” and trying to get some physical modeling inspiration without using Pd and a lot of the dsp implementation sections for the projects are packed with useful ideas. Also got some inspiration from the Mutable Plaits red mode manual descriptions

the ability to build these banks of bandpass filters or comb filters with an exciter feeding into them is so powerful. I got this thing sounding almost identical to my A4 back when I was experimenting with fm’ing multiple resonant filters in neighbor mode with feedback oscillators

Longer clip here

Summary

bit.ly/3GZn64l

It’s cool to have a little p lockable seq with multiple motion recordable layers that you can negative swing and run it in ping pong or “odd/even” playback modes, among others. I think it’s nice to get a little sequence running and then manipulate controls while recording like I do with my Elektron stuff

14 Likes

I assume Tall Dog is this Tall Dog? https://www.tall-dog.com/https://shop.tall-dog.com/ Nothing there yet …

3 Likes

Whenever they do launch this Kickstarter, I predict it will surpass its goal quickly.

I realized what the real problem with the Opsix keybed is: it’s not the build quality itself; it’s the combination of build quality and size. If the whole thing were scaled like a Minilogue, I think it might get more of a pass, but for the amount of space it takes up, it feels like the keys aren’t pulling their weight.

5 Likes

Yup, that’s the right Tall Dog. I’ve been keeping my eyes open too, haven’t seen/heard anything either, but I’m still thinking I might want to reclaim the desk space taken up by these keys. A part of me kind of wants to keep them on there, though. If I had a controller with full-size keys, like a Keylab or something, it would be an easier decision.

2 Likes