Korg OPSIX

Bought firstly the synth itself and then the crossgrade plugin. I think plugin makes much more sense. It’s awesome and fresh synth, but it’s hardware form is so-so. It’s complexity requires a different control surface. It’s not bad at all, they did a good job, but not something really outstanding. Only for hardware geeks :slight_smile:

Looking for VST of Wavestate and would love to see the Modwave version.

One more thing - after all updates to operators in 2.0 you feel spoiled and desire more and more and more features to the operator modes and it’s parameters :slight_smile: Like “short delay with feedback? Cool. Now I want granular modifier. And custom samples as a mod source and sampled waveforms” :smiley:
By the way, does the Kronos FM engine support samples as waveforms?

made a sound design demo vid, creating drum patterns with the sequencer
OPSIX Sound Design - 01 DRUM MACHINE

13 Likes

The Opsix is indeed an interesting synth. Despite the nifty slider/knob section for the operators, I wouldn’t call it intuitive to use… the envelopes/LFOs could have been laid out WAY better… but man it really goes to some far-out places. Crazy sound design potential, on par with the Hydrasynth (which was very elegant to use) but sounds better IMO.

Overall I’d say it is a compliment to the DN rather than a replacement, not a ton of overlap despite both being technically variations on FM.

1 Like

You should release an “Algo 32 Soundpack” :+1:

1 Like

I tend to agree. I get more of “what I want” and quicker out of the plug-in. But I still find utility in the hardware. I enjoy making a paraphonic chord with the 6 oscillators, and then playing the levels and ratios (octaves/inversions) live.

It does have some frustrations tho. Not being able to live tweak parameters that are recorded in a motion lane. Not being able to easily remove motion data from a lane in the sequencer.
So, finding spots to be creative in lieu of these quirks has been beneficial for me. I use the mod matrix and mod wheel more than the motion lanes for modulation.

1 Like

I totally agree. With the way Elektron implemented FM on the Digitone, I end up in different sonic territory than on other FM synths. And the way Korg designed the opsix, it goes beyond FM synthesis.

I also think the Digitone complements the opsix by being its sequencer. I tried the opsix sequencer and it is totally capable, but I much prefer the DN.

When I got the opsix I had had the DN for a while and wondered if it would be redundant, but I find myself turning both on when I use either of them.

2 Likes

Crossposting this from MW:
I wonder if anyone ever encountered this problem with the sequencer:
On some preset patches, even with firmware v2.0.1 and after a factory reset, even when all note data and motion data is cleared, I am having problems recording polyphonic sequences. Notes hanging and being completely off from where I played them etc.
Here’s an example:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_2ajz58XPW0

Has anyone else experienced this?
If anyone has an Opsix with the preset patches on and they want to be extra extra nice you could go to patch 40 (Clav O Frog), clear the sequence, and then try and record something similar into it (with stacatto chords etc) and let me know how it goes :slight_smile:

26 b-stock Opsixes in stock from Korg USA Factory Outlet:

$400, free shipping

3 Likes

I would want some kind of assurance that these aren’t the units with bad displays that people bought for $300 months ago and then returned.

If they are just physical blemishes, then I guess it’s not too bad of a deal if you missed the first wave of cheap OPSIXes.

(I did get the $300 deal, the OPSIX is everything I wanted it to be and more and my Reface DX is still for sale on the FS subforum)

2 Likes

Message them on Reverb

1 Like

decided to saw my opsix in half

i was thinking i should share that it’s not too difficult to cut the keyboard off, for anyone considering it. i am typically bad at these things and even thought the front panel doesn’t look perfect, I was surprised how easy it was to just superglue two pieces of wood from a crate i got from home depot to the front of it

i just unscrewed the top, unscrewed the bar that locks the keys to the enclosure, removed the key sections, detached the keyboard ribbon cable, tucked the cable behind the remaining spacers, used a small hack saw to cut along the line on the bottom that delineates the keys from the rest of the case, sanded it as evenly as i could, then super glued it to the synth

the nice part about removing the keys is that the mod and pitch wheels are on the front panel, not the keyboard section, so you don’t lose those

i imagine most people wouldn’t love that particular wooden look, but it reminds me of the cheap wood side cheeks on the bastl thyme, which i always loved

aside from the fact that it looks like an 8 year old customized it, it looks fine to me. i’m not planning on selling it anyway. i love this thing

9 Likes

Tall Dog is planning a Kickstarter for this enclosure kit next year. The owner told me that you can reverse the process (put the head back into the keyboard case), there is no permanent damage done to the Opsix in this conversion.

34 Likes

woooooo amazing!!!

1 Like

Yes. This connected to my Casio CT-S1000v :slight_smile:.

That looks good to me. Props to anyone who has the guts to take drastic action with their synths—it’s like an oldtime magician sawing a lady in half.

If Korg were more adventurous, they’d sell the Opsix (and the Wavestate, and the Modwave) with the module easily removable from the keyboard—like how the Roland Boutiques interact with their little optional keyboard.

6 Likes

in the United States.

2 Likes

“…in the United States.”

That too!

Yeah, at this point it’s all kind of irrelevant. Opsix RIP.

2 Likes

Hm, wish I knew this a week ago. Very good idea

I made my first sound set for the OPSIX. mainly focuses on note and motion sequencing. sounds great in hardware and even better stacked with multiple Native tracks in the DAW.

Nonillion | Sequences and Sounds for Korg OPSIX and OPSIX Native

11 Likes

These are great, I downloaded them to put on my Opsix later tonight. What are “motion sequences”? I assume that’s different from a sound preset?