Korg OPSIX

There are also good Opsix walkthrough videos from Chalk Walk: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuh4CHo4ShJe8inh61NBQY8jJCEKvonkr

Can’t spend too much time with my Opsix right now, but just sat a bit on the bed, creating patches and was enthralled by dinosaurtrombonegongflutes coming out of this thing …

8 Likes

I got my Opsix a few weeks ago 2nd for 400 Euros, took me a little while to understand what a crazy synth it is, the mix and match of FM and virtual analog and what not is a dream for coming up with wild sounds and sequences, it‘s a very inspiring instrument.

2 Likes

Minor chord on a cassette, but the pitch variations rattle the strings

Church Organ, but Jane Foster smashes her Mjolnir against the pipes

Opsix is sound design heaven

28 Likes

I don’t understand how we’re supposed to prevent midi loopback on the opsix.

My opsix receives midi IN from an external sequencer, and sends MIDI out to write melodies on that sequencer, or to directly control any other synth in the setup.
With both midi in and out plugged, the keyboard act weirdly (midi echo), and everything is fine as soon as I unplug either midi IN or OUT.

There’s only one “Global Channel” parameter for both midi channel IN and OUT, so the opsix receives every note it sends. Having two different parameters would have helped…
“Local Control” works in a way to prevent the midi loopback, obviously, but I can’t use any parameter on the opsix with the Local Control ON. Not sure to understand why.

Am I missing something?
Thanks!

1 Like

You are one step away from my problem sequencing the Opsix with a Digitone (though I thought of a solution to that one I’ve been meaning to test).

Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s any way to do this without additional hardware, but short of the issues in the above link, this setup works great. For the “global channel” problem, I have a Blokas MidiHub set up between the Opsix and the DN. That means:

• The Opsix is set to global channel 6 with local control off, and connected in both directions to the DN, also on channel 6.
  • Playing notes on the Opsix keyboard sends notes on channel 6, but the MidiHub intercepts them and remaps them to channel 10 before they get to the DN.
  • Because the notes came on channel 10, DN receives those as “current track” - so now I can use the Opsix keys to play internal DN tracks, or if I set the track to external MIDI (channel 6)…
  • The notes that came in from the Opsix go back out on the channel it expects, completing the roundtrip without double-triggering, and the DN can send trigs the same way with no difference.
4 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I was about to buy the midihub anyway, that’s just another reason to buy it ! Thanks

It’s time for

ezgif-5-22ae59f713

20 Likes

Another fine addition to the collection.

3 Likes

it’s time for jeanne to drop in and bankrupt another thread. how’s someone supposed to follow that? in an op six thread?

you just modulated all the operators, at once. with no mercy.

1 Like

I watched her dancing now couple hours, how the heck does she get that energy!

1 Like

I just solved one problem, only to discover a new one.

I had just been editing a patch based a factory preset. When I went to save it, I experienced my first-ever crash on the Opsix. It hard-locked on the save screen when I clicked “yes,” and I had to long-press the power button to turn it off.

After turning it back on, I was momentarily relieved to see my patch had been saved, but when I went to load it, it hard-locked again. Another power cycle, and this time I just went to audition it through the list, and it hard-locked when it reached the patch in the middle of the list.

It appears I somehow managed to create a patch that reliably crashes the Opsix.

Anyone have experience with Korg support?

I was about to grab my serial number to send my support request, when I realized I had a much older firmware version installed than I had thought I did. So, I downloaded the updater and updated to the latest version.

The corrupt patch still crashed the Opsix after the update, but this time I recreated the patch and saved it over the corrupt slot, which has at least eliminated the crashes. Hopefully the current firmware makes it impossible to create another corrupt patch now.

I still can’t believe how complementary the Opsix and Digitone are. They have just enough in common that jumping between them is easy, while their approaches to FM are meaningfully different and encourage different ways of thinking and experimenting. Going back and forth between sound design and jamming with this setup… bliss.

3 Likes

This first patch is incredible. Do you remember how you made it?

2 Likes

Well well well…
Just got the panel and it’s almost perfect. The cutting shop workers refused to take money for it, gonna bring them a few beers when I make the next order.

7 Likes

develops a little slowly, just jump anywhere.

5 Likes

This is amazing! I really love all of the examples this thread has provided. All of yall please keep up the great work! It’s such a shame korg discontinued this one.

2 Likes

The did? :flushed: hopefully to make a prequel sized one.

The idea of using the 6-carrier algo, setting all the operators to more complex waveforms at different frequencies, and then performing with the level sliders is simply brilliant.

I think part of the fun of this synth is just seeing the techniques other people come up with.

2 Likes